Airport Scam

jeffer

From todays Daily Express...

Three men have been arrested for posing as policemen and stealing valuables from passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The men claimed they were senior police officers from the Crime Supression Division. They originally took away bags with contents worth an emperors ransom... or 2 million baht, from a man and his friends after they arrived at the airport on February 3. On Thursday the man, Jamlong Laemthongthai, saw one of the fake policemen again at the airport and contacted police who arrested him and found a fake police ID card. Police then found his fellow conmen and arrested them.

CIB Commissioner Lt. Genereal Adisorn Nonsee advises people to contact uniformed police before giving valuables to anyone, including those who show them something like a police ID card.

Interesting topic! When being stopped by a policeman at Suvarnabhumi, a regular person will be frightened and will do anything in order to get out of that mess. Can we be calm enough to ask for seeing his ID card? Now we know what to do. Thank you for posting this.

That reminds me of our last arrival at SB last December.

On exiting the ground floor to find a taxi we were greeted by a woman who had an official looking tag around her neck.

She seemed to be organising transport for everyone.

We were heading to West of Lat Yao about 3 or 4 hours drive from BKK.

Previous journeys were very unpleasant due to old wrecks of "buses" that we had taken.

They were crowded, uncomfortable, noisy and very unsafe.

I told the woman that we wanted a new Toyota van or a large station wagon and we didn't mind paying a bit more for a good car.

I even pointed out a new Toyota van and said "that's what I want". (2007 model)

The woman spoke fairly good English with a strong accent.

My wife "negotiated" a fare which I thought was far too high. 5000 or 6000 Baht she said.

I was getting most info 2nd hand because my wife was doing most of the talking. (do you know the feeling? ..)

The woman insisted that prices had gone up over the past year.

The woman and her helper boys took our luggage to one side and told us to wait.

We had our little 7 year old boy with us and a mountain of luggage.

After about 20 minutes a white Toyota van pulled up. I already had an uneasy feeling.

My wife was eager to get going, having been away for a year, and started climbing into the van.

I had a quick look at the van which is not easy in the dim electric light outside the airport.

I quickly realised it was just another wreck. Bald tyres, custom wheels, grubby seats and red dust everywhere.

By that time nearly all the luggage was loaded and I started to to shout No, No .. we are not taking this car!

My wife was getting upset and just wanted to go.

I was totally exhausted, hot and sweaty.

To top it off the noise in that place was deafening and the exhaust fumes asphyxiating.

It would have been easy just to give in.

But I could not help think that we were being scammed.

I kept thinking of our safety and how dangerous these old wrecks can be especially in the hands of some young kamikaze pilot.

So after my wife decided reluctantly to agree with me, we got out and the boys unloaded our luggage.

I repeated my request to the woman to get us a new van like the one she promised.

She told us to wait again and was on her mobile phone trying to round up another car.

15 minutes later yet another van pulled up just as crappy as the first one and they started loading up again..

This time I was starting to see red!.

I told them to take the bags out.

My wife was looking more reproachful and it was getting late.

I threw our bags on a trolley and marched away back indoors with the "official" taxi lady promising a better car if we'd just wait.

My wife and our little boy straggling behind.

I suspect the official tag around her neck was just a photo copy of a real one.

She was obviously dealing with freelancers who did not even have taxi licences, just old cars.

She would be making good money on all the commissions she was getting.

Probably enough to pay the cops who turned a blind eye to her "business".

We went upstairs and found a meter taxi rank. A minute or two later we had a nice new Toyota station wagon and the price

was 2500 Baht. The driver had a great sense of humour and he was a good driver.

When we arrived home we gave him a 500 Baht tip on top of the 2500. He was very happy.

I was happy to have arrived with my family in one piece, having had a comfortable and safe ride.

Anybody else had such an experience?

Three men have been arrested for posing as policemen and stealing valuables from passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The men claimed they were senior police officers from the Crime Supression Division. They originally took away bags with contents worth an emperors ransom... or 2 million baht, from a man and his friends after they arrived at the airport on February 3. On Thursday the man, Jamlong Laemthongthai, saw one of the fake policemen again at the airport and contacted police who arrested him and found a fake police ID card. Police then found his fellow conmen and arrested them.

CIB Commissioner Lt. Genereal Adisorn Nonsee advises people to contact uniformed police before giving valuables to anyone, including those who show them something like a police ID card.

Good for him for helping take out the dirty RATS. :o:D

i think best advice for this sort of scam by fake cops and such is to say that you will go with them back into the airport and go to one of the security desks or call the tourist police as you walk back in , better still go to back to customs with them never go with them away from the airport arrivals hall always walk back inside

i think best advice for this sort of scam by fake cops and such is to say that you will go with them back into the airport and go to one of the security desks or call the tourist police as you walk back in , better still go to back to customs with them never go with them away from the airport arrivals hall always walk back inside

Great advice!

Interesting topic! When being stopped by a policeman at Suvarnabhumi, a regular person will be frightened and will do anything in order to get out of that mess. Can we be calm enough to ask for seeing his ID card? Now we know what to do. Thank you for posting this.

Right like in any other police state. This comment is not to upset the regulars. if they were honest to themselves they would recognize Thailand as a police state. after all I never seen any other country where people scare their toddlers by threatening them with police.

They originally took away bags with contents worth an emperors ransom.

There's a ransom for emporer_turd??? Poor victor. Maybe they thought it was his duty free. :D

Dam_n those rogue custom officials :o

Edited by dekka007

A link to the full story would be nice. As it is, this excerpt raises more questions: Why did someone have 2 million baht in their bag(s)? How did the fake police know this? Why did this man give up the money? etc. etc.

The full story is on page 8 of the Daily Express Saturday April 5, 2008. I couldn't see a link to it on the newspaper website so you will need to direct any further questions to CIB Commissioner Lt. General Adisorn Nonsee :o as the usual photo of suspects with heads bowed at the police press conference only reveals some ID cards, a pair of handcuffs, a police badge and a walkie talkie laid out on the table in front of them.

Edited by jeffer

The real question about this story is : how come those 3 "fakes police officers" HAVEN BEEN ABLE to do their dirty work, sabai, sabai, in an international airport, a venue with traditionally some kind of security... ? :o

Like always, the story goes a little bit further... into other complicities...

Come on, Emperor....we're waiting for you with bated breath!!! :o

It does prove his initial point though, so he should be given credit.

What initial point - about "rogue customs officials"?

The fake police have been arrested at the airport - the real police have done their jobs.

Meanwhile, the (perfectly legal) excise officers are still doing their legally sanctioned work at the airport - questioning potential cigarette smugglers, and imposing the legally prescribed fines on the transgressors. Those without cigarettes go on their merry ways.

So, with bated breaths we still wait................. :D

Last time I looked, the "cigarette smugglers" went their merry ways too :o

I have never seen the legal or otherwise excise officers with their inflated fines. Maybe they were too busy chasing down fake cigarette smugglers ?

Edited by sjaak327

Last time I looked, the "cigarette smugglers" went their merry ways too :D

Luck of the draw I guess :D

Some unlucky airport users get stopped, harassed, intimidated, fondled and set upon by taxi touts - and that is on a good day :o

Edited by jackspratt

Come on, Emperor....we're waiting for you with bated breath!!! :D

The fake police have been arrested at the airport - the real police have done their jobs.

Meanwhile, the (perfectly legal) excise officers are still doing their legally sanctioned work at the airport - questioning potential cigarette smugglers, and imposing the legally prescribed fines on the transgressors. Those without cigarettes go on their merry ways.

:o

He made a valid point, yet the rose tinted spectacle brigade question it. I agree that the real Police have done their jobs, but that's not the point is it? Or am I missing something.

It's not only Thailand, a few years ago watching one of the day time talk shows. The guest was a LAX cop, he was giving advice on how to avoid being ripped off at airport. One of the big tricks is to take your bag or bags when you go to the toilet. The thieves watch your feet when they see you facing away from door they will reach over and take your small bag if you have hung it off the coat rack. Also donot place bag to the side as you set on toilet. His advice keep your bag between your feet.

They raided a fellows house who had made a career of stealing from weary travellers, they found 55 gal. barrels filled wth the loot. From the description this guy kept it all, perfum, aftershave, jewellry, cameras, and even underwear selling the more valuable stuff as he needed the money.

Almost all major airports have crime problems. Heck, remember US Senator Larry Craig getting busted because one of the public restrooms at the airport was a key go to area for soliciting sex acts.

I know it was only about 10 years or so ago LAX had a huge problem with people stealing luggage out of baggage claim. They used to have all the doors monitored and you had to show the matching airline ticket to take bags out to curbside or to another terminal.

Lets face it, what security they do have at airports is designed to prevent people from smuggling in explosives onto the plane, or contraband into the country from international flights. Very little of that security is directed at preventing other crimes.

So, with bated breaths we still wait.................

For once in my life i feel myself struggling for words :o

He made a valid point, yet the rose tinted spectacle brigade question it. I agree that the real Police have done their jobs, but that's not the point is it? Or am I missing something.

What was the valid (or initial) point? If you can answer that simple question, then maybe I can take off my spectacles :D

What was the valid (or initial) point? If you can answer that simple question, then maybe I can take off my spectacles :D

That there were bogus officials working in the Airport, claiming to be Police etc

If you read thew article in the Daily Express, it states that this has been a problem, and that people should always wait for a fully uniformed officer to arrive before allowing anyone to conduct a search.

I'm not going to get into pedantics about what officials do what, but it does highlight a valid point that people do need to aware.

Edited by mrtoad

The real question about this story is : how come those 3 "fakes police officers" HAVEN BEEN ABLE to do their dirty work, sabai, sabai, in an international airport, a venue with traditionally some kind of security... ? :o

Like always, the story goes a little bit further... into other complicities...

It may or may not be the case that they bribed some airport officials or security staff, T.I.T. ...

Edited by 7

That there were bogus officials working in the Airport, claiming to be Police etc

If you read thew article in the Daily Express, it states that this has been a problem, and that people should always wait for a fully uniformed officer to arrive before allowing anyone to conduct a search.

I'm not going to get into pedantics about what officials do what, but it does highlight a valid point that people do need to aware.

Unfortunately the "bogus" officials Tud described way back were legitimate. He just chose to describe them as bogus, and then maintain that description pretty much up till now, despite very strong evidence to the contrary from numerous posters.

C'est la vie!

That reminds me of our last arrival at SB last December.

On exiting the ground floor to find a taxi we were greeted by a woman who had an official looking tag around her neck.

She seemed to be organising transport for everyone.

We were heading to West of Lat Yao about 3 or 4 hours drive from BKK.

Previous journeys were very unpleasant due to old wrecks of "buses" that we had taken.

They were crowded, uncomfortable, noisy and very unsafe.

I told the woman that we wanted a new Toyota van or a large station wagon and we didn't mind paying a bit more for a good car.

I even pointed out a new Toyota van and said "that's what I want". (2007 model)

The woman spoke fairly good English with a strong accent.

My wife "negotiated" a fare which I thought was far too high. 5000 or 6000 Baht she said.

I was getting most info 2nd hand because my wife was doing most of the talking. (do you know the feeling? ..)

The woman insisted that prices had gone up over the past year.

The woman and her helper boys took our luggage to one side and told us to wait.

We had our little 7 year old boy with us and a mountain of luggage.

After about 20 minutes a white Toyota van pulled up. I already had an uneasy feeling.

My wife was eager to get going, having been away for a year, and started climbing into the van.

I had a quick look at the van which is not easy in the dim electric light outside the airport.

I quickly realised it was just another wreck. Bald tyres, custom wheels, grubby seats and red dust everywhere.

By that time nearly all the luggage was loaded and I started to to shout No, No .. we are not taking this car!

My wife was getting upset and just wanted to go.

I was totally exhausted, hot and sweaty.

To top it off the noise in that place was deafening and the exhaust fumes asphyxiating.

It would have been easy just to give in.

But I could not help think that we were being scammed.

I kept thinking of our safety and how dangerous these old wrecks can be especially in the hands of some young kamikaze pilot.

So after my wife decided reluctantly to agree with me, we got out and the boys unloaded our luggage.

I repeated my request to the woman to get us a new van like the one she promised.

She told us to wait again and was on her mobile phone trying to round up another car.

15 minutes later yet another van pulled up just as crappy as the first one and they started loading up again..

This time I was starting to see red!.

I told them to take the bags out.

My wife was looking more reproachful and it was getting late.

I threw our bags on a trolley and marched away back indoors with the "official" taxi lady promising a better car if we'd just wait.

My wife and our little boy straggling behind.

I suspect the official tag around her neck was just a photo copy of a real one.

She was obviously dealing with freelancers who did not even have taxi licences, just old cars.

She would be making good money on all the commissions she was getting.

Probably enough to pay the cops who turned a blind eye to her "business".

We went upstairs and found a meter taxi rank. A minute or two later we had a nice new Toyota station wagon and the price

was 2500 Baht. The driver had a great sense of humour and he was a good driver.

When we arrived home we gave him a 500 Baht tip on top of the 2500. He was very happy.

I was happy to have arrived with my family in one piece, having had a comfortable and safe ride.

Anybody else had such an experience?

The managers at the Airport are letting this continue?

Welcome to Thailand. Bend over.

There is no suprise, they are everywhere again around the airport, but I just head straight to the metre taxi point and get my coupon. That way can avoid all the vermin hovering around scaming the unsuspecting. Funnily enough, I got in the Taxi yesterday and he said I give you good price, no metre 500 bhat. I was delighted I told him, with a smile that he had just tried to double the fare. Once he realised that I lived here and knew how much my fair was he quickly shut up. However, the point is that I'm sure he and others get away with this crap with tourists all the time.

Not suprisingly I gave him the exact money of the fare, no way was he getting a tip for trying that scam on me.

Will they ever learn? I very much doubt it.