Land Transfer

Has anyone out there had any experience with land title transfers?

Re cost, where to go, how long does it take etc.

Any comments and experiences will be greatly appreciated. I am trying to transfer land titles from the deceased mother of my Thai wife to all the surviving children in the Khon Kaen area

My experience in Bangkok and also upcountry is that the transfer at the Land Department takes about half an hour. Waiting for your half hour with the official took several hours in Bangkok, less upcountry.

When land is purchased you have to pay a transfer tax. For a while it was reduced to 0.01% of the sale price. I think it has now gone back up to somewhere near 1% or so, perhaps a bit more. Haven't bought any land recently, so don't know for sure.

I'm not sure if there are any taxes if the land is transferred as part of the distribution of an estate, which I think is what you are describing. Best to ask the Land Department directly on this.

Transfer Fee = 2%

Specific Business Tax = 3.3% (of sales value or "auction value" assessed by land department, whichever higher)

Income Tax (for seller) = 1% (of sales value or "auction value" assessed by land department, whichever higher)

Now I don't know how you can have the land title transferred to anyone that your mother is dead and can't sign the deed for authorization. I guess you have to go ask the local land department.

Good luck,

I've spent many a boring day at the amphur watching my wife transfer land.

Normally, the seller and the purchaser go along - I am not sure of the procedure if the owner is deceased - maybe some legal documents will be required as proof of rightful inheritance?

Anyway, the process starts at a desk where a clerk takes all the details - deeds, ID, etc. of both parties, then tells you to come back in about an hour while she finds the original deeds in the files of the amphur.

If you're lucky, and everything is in order, you then go through another process of form filling and the deeds are then amended.

You then go to another desk to pay the fees -I know it wasn't much but I too have heard that fees have gone up a lot. No doubt I'll find out next week - my wife will probably be buying land this week in Sisaket. She normally buys thru' her sister and transfers it to her name when I am there to disclaim any interest. Maybe we will rethink this strategy if the costs are too high.

I think that you too would need to sign that you have no interest in the land if you are not Thai.

Then back to the original desk to pick up the amended deeds and a copy is retained at the amphur.

Sounds straightforward but there are always hiccoughs - the guy who stamps deeds is at lunch, the guy who you need to pay is at a meeting, etc. etc. TIT :o