Thailand's Wealthy Untouchables

bingobongo

Nice to see that the little turd has made the BBC website, but I'm suprised the journalist has missed out his recent episode of road rage in Lat Phrao.

As Kiakaha said "out in the world they are just bratty little nobodys who'd get the crap kicked out of them in a heartbeat." Think thats pretty spot on.

Thanks for posting this, bingobongo. I was wondering what the latest was about this little <deleted>. I shouldn't be surprised to learn that there is no "latest". My wife advises me to be jaiyenyen about this and the system behind it as I tend to get a bit indignant on the Thai's behalf whenever I'm confronted by cases such as this. But I find it hard to be detached. I tend to think of "karma" and "face" as two excellent ways of maintaining the status-quo. Whilst such deeply engrained social forces are in evidence, I expect to see more cases like this and very little change for the better.

Thanks for posting this, bingobongo. I was wondering what the latest was about this little <deleted>. I shouldn't be surprised to learn that there is no "latest". My wife advises me to be jaiyenyen about this and the system behind it as I tend to get a bit indignant on the Thai's behalf whenever I'm confronted by cases such as this. But I find it hard to be detached. I tend to think of "karma" and "face" as two excellent ways of maintaining the status-quo. Whilst such deeply engrained social forces are in evidence, I expect to see more cases like this and very little change for the better.

When "change for the better" occurs (ie; ordinary Thais ceasing to lick the boots that are kicking them), you might find that the things that you like about this place change too.

I remember hearing about this sad tale; spoiled little rich kid gets off the hook for vehicular homocide. This is just like that politician's son who shot some guy in a nightclub and got off for something like 1,000 Baht.

I noticed this sentence in the BBC report:

"Thailand has one of the most unequal distributions of wealth anywhere on the planet, despite some recent improvements."

Does anyone know if there is any kind of evidence for statements like this? The reporter seems just to state it without reference to any research or statistical evidence.

When "change for the better" occurs (ie; ordinary Thais ceasing to lick the boots that are kicking them), you might find that the things that you like about this place change too.

Oh yeah, kmart, I know what you mean. An adjustment here, a tweak there and who knows what the consequences might be in the years to come. But I find it very hard to just shrug and ignore such blatant inequality. We all know that if the perpetrator of the "vehicular homicide" had been Somchai in his old pick-up, his feet wouldn't have touched the ground. The media would have been full of stories of the declining morals in Thai society, he would have been paraded on TV so that everyone could see what a monster he was and he would have to take part in the usual re-enactment for the benefit of a prurient public.

Distribution of wealth is usually measured by the"Gini Index". Basically, the higher the number, the greater the country's economic disparity. Thailand has a Gini number of 42. In comparison, Austria, the Czech Rep., Finland and Iceland are all about 25 - 26. The UK has a Gini number of 34 - one of the highest in Europe and about equal to Australia.

The US has a Gini number of 45 - which means that the statement: "Thailand has one of the most unequal distributions of wealth anywhere on the planet, despite some recent improvements." Is acceptable coming from the BBC, but Fox News better keep their mouths shut! :o

The most inequitable countries are in South America and Southern Africa, where the numbers are frequently in the 50 - 60 range.

"Thailand has one of the most unequal distributions of wealth anywhere on the planet, despite some recent improvements."

Does anyone know if there is any kind of evidence for statements like this? The reporter seems just to state it without reference to any research or statistical evidence.

Of course it's shoddy reporting (or editing). Although there is some obvious truth to the sentiments expressed, the "reporter" has allowed his personal prejudices to taint his objectivity. Wealth is relative and influenced by other factors. If one measures only by material possessions, then yes there is a growing gap. However, I'd wager that those that are not impoverished, i.e. destitute, but not in the wealthy zone probably, which is most of Thailand, manage to lead happier lives on the whole than their counterparts in many western countries.

only within the borders of thailand...out in the world they are just bratty little nobodys who'd get the crap kicked out of them in a heartbeat.

I coudn't agree with you more, who needs coping skills and maturity when simply acting like a spoiled child works just as well

Edited by bingobongo

No, there actually is no evidence for this and the reporter is just sensationalizing to sell a story. The most common method of measuring income disparity is the GINI coefficient. Thailand's score is 42, the US is 40.8, Singapore is 42.5, Honk Kong is 43.4, Brazil is 57, and many African countries are even higher, with the higher number meaning the disparity in wealth is greater. In short, the reporter is completely wrong and is just trying to get his story on the front page. None the less, it's nice that this story has made the international news, even if it does give people who have never been to Thailand an inaccurate picture.

Distribution of wealth is usually measured by the"Gini Index". Basically, the higher the number, the greater the country's economic disparity. Thailand has a Gini number of 42. In comparison, Austria, the Czech Rep., Finland and Iceland are all about 25 - 26. The UK has a Gini number of 34 - one of the highest in Europe and about equal to Australia.

A favorite quote comes to mind: "Beware the person who uses statistics as a drunkard uses a lamp post, for support rather than for illumination."

You speak of disparity of wealth as if has to be a bad thing. From your limited Wiki-research, it shows Japan has the lowest index of <25 which following your logic would seem to make it a perfect world. Yet modern day Japan is one of the most racist, nationalistic, and exclusionary societies of the civilized world. Further, it offers arguably the least opportunity for upward mobility or choice of careers in the civilized world. I would think by most peoples' opinions, this is not a desirable situation. So please don't take a single statistic and try to push all-encompassing blanket statements about one society or another. It's just foundationless drivel.

As for the OP topic, by all witness accounts it appears to be a travesty of justice, denial of responsibility, and failure of basic human decency to admit fault and attempt to make amends. One step forward and two steps back.

I disagree with other posters who say that it only happens in Thailand. Money, power and influence can keep people above the law in many countries around the world, including the US and others. Those countries are all worse off because of it, just as much as Thailand is.

Edited by Spee

I'm tired of the well to do stooping to street crime like this bus ramming retard. What's next? Dealing crack on the streets (instead of wholesale distribution) and robbing banks (with a gun)? When will the slow-to-catch-on of the 'wealthy crowd' finally wisen up and stick to white collar crime like they do in most other places in the world?

:o

Edited by Heng

I'm tired of the well to do stooping to street crime like this bus ramming retard. What's next? Dealing crack on the streets (instead of wholesale distribution) and robbing banks (with a gun)? When will the slow-to-catch-on of the 'wealthy crowd' finally wisen up and stick to white collar crime like they do in most other places in the world?

:o

Quite. Fraternizing / brutalizing the hoi polloi is a definite no-no in polite criminal circles.

It's just foundationless drivel.

I disagree with other posters who say that it only happens in Thailand. Money, power and influence can keep people above the law in many countries around the world, including the US and others. Those countries are all worse off because of it, just as much as Thailand is.

So where do you get all this wisdom from? Seems like foundationless arrogance unless you come up with data that supports your drivel.