'backin Up' Dvd Movies

Richb2004v2

I want to copy some movies that I bought here in Thailand. These movies are ‘back ups’ and want to ‘back them up’ again, if you know what I mean. I have tried to copy one of them a few times unsuccessfully. The DVD copies to the PC but then will not copy to the destination. It seems to get to around 80% and then fails. I am using NERO EXPRESS. I wonder if it might be to do with the destination DVD. I don’t know much about this sort of thing so just picked a pack of ten PRINCO 1-8x DVD-R blank DVDs. They did seem cheap at 70 baht for ten. Should I be using a different type?

I use Nero but re-code. I copy the un-encrypted files (Audio_TS, Video_TS ; the latter has all the IFO/VOBS) to my HDD, then use Nero re-code to create a duplicate. Not sure about Nero Express, it looks like you need to create an image of the original on your HDD, then copy/burn.

Have you read through the documentation? Can you describe the steps you are taking?

If it is not a one off, how about buying a DVD Rom, there cheap and it is very simple to put you DVD into the 'new' player and with Nero use 'copy DVD' to your DVD Writer.

I have always used this way and have then a DVD Rom and a Multi DVD........ did the same before DVD's, always had a CD Rom and a CD writer

Edited by ignis

I want to copy some movies that I bought here in Thailand. These movies are ‘back ups’ and want to ‘back them up’ again, if you know what I mean. I have tried to copy one of them a few times unsuccessfully. The DVD copies to the PC but then will not copy to the destination. It seems to get to around 80% and then fails. I am using NERO EXPRESS. I wonder if it might be to do with the destination DVD. I don’t know much about this sort of thing so just picked a pack of ten PRINCO 1-8x DVD-R blank DVDs. They did seem cheap at 70 baht for ten. Should I be using a different type?

I know several people who used Nero Express (it's usually already installed on new computors bought in the UK) and they've all had various problems trying to burn to DVD. I gave them all a copy of Roxio Media Creator (which I use) and they've not had any more problems.

I have used the ROM burning function of the same Nero package, and it is working well now. I have also used 16x DVDs now, although the 8x DVDs are working ok now. I wonder what is the advantage if any to the 16x over the 8x? They didn't seem to copy any faster.

Whilst on the subject. What is the benefit of using expensive blank DVDs over cheap PRINCO ones?

Thanks for the advice.

The DVDs I have used don’t say DL on them. Of the 20 I used I had to bin 3 of them. They were the ones that failed when I tried them the first time with the ‘wrong’ software. Once I used the other function of Nero I had a 100% success rate. The DVDs were very cheap at 70 Baht for 10. I’ll stick with them until I have a poor experience with them. I’m all for saving money.

• 8 months later...

I have heard that Handbreak is a good program for ripping DVD's to your system.

But you can do it nice an easy with a little program that you might have heard of VLC. yes that's right our favorite play anything media player can rip too.

Take a look at this lifehacker.com article

http://lifehacker.com/397573/master-your-d...-media-with-vlc

Imgburn is widely considered to be the best DVD burning software available for Windows. Don't use DVD Shrink to re-encode DVD9 to DVD5, it's rubbish. Use ADC Rebuilder AIO Edition (just Google it, I don't want to put the link here) for all ripping, burning, re-encoding.