Get A Non Immigrant B Visa In Bangkok

It has been suggested to me that I can go from a tourist visa to a non immigrant B through a new teaching job without leaving the country. Apparently I can do this in Bangkok. Can anyone confirm this or is my source mistaken?

In all honesty i would say your source is slightly mistaken. In order to apply direct to BKK imigration without leaving the country normally means they want to see tax paid, pay slips and such like. This facility at BKK immigration is really for those who have wroked here for 6 too 12 months and can show evidence of a track record in paying taxes and such like. In the first instance to get Non Imm. B from tourist really requires you to go out of the country, KL i would suggest is one of the best embassies locally. But check with them first what papers they need and want. Nothing is worse than getting there and finding out that the school/employer has given you the wrong forms or not enough paperwork.

It normally requires 21 days or more remaining on current entry stamp and not sure below is still policy (but it is still on Immigration web site):

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B-): WORKING AS A TEACHER IN THAILAND

In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

To be a teacher in a GOVERNMENT school or university.

As a teacher at the University

• A letter from the director of university , requesting visa or visa status alteration.

As a teacher at the school

• A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or a letter from the governor of province, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

And

• Employment certification form (Download the form from Labor Dept. website)

• A copy of employment contract. (The start working date shown in employment contract must be the same date with application or after getting approval of visa alteration.)

• Diploma and transcript of the applicant. (Must show the original and copy to the officer as proof)

To be a teacher in a PRIVATE school or university.

As a teacher at the University

• A letter from the rector of university, requesting visa or visa status alteration.

As a teacher at the school

• A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or in the case of lower academic levels in education, a letter from the governor of province, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

And

• Employment certification form (Download the form from Labor Dept. website)

• A copy of employment contract. (The start working date shown in employment contract must be the same date with application or after getting approval of visa alteration.)

• Diploma and transcript of the applicant. (Must show the original and copy to the officer as proof)

• A Certified copy of the registration papers of the educational institution. (Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)

• A Certified copy of the license of the school or university administrator(Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)

O.K. That clarifies things rather well. I've worked and paid taxes for quite a few years, but I'm between jobs at the moment and was forced to do a boarder hop and i'm not on a tourist 30 days visa. I was trying to find the simplest method, but 21 days just isn't it. Either Penang or Vientine, I think.

Thanks.