Earth Day, 22nd April 2008 - Phangan Beach Clean Up

Got this from the Phangan Film Festival newsletter, and thought it might be of interest:

Earth Day 2008 is expected to be the biggest yet. From Tokyo to Togo, millions of people around the world will rally behind a “Call for Climate”.

You make small changes like switching to reusable grocery bags, changing your inefficient light bulbs, getting involved in local initiatives or by calling or writing your government and urging significant and equitable action on climate change.

In order to honor this special occasion, Phangan Film Festival is donating a share of this year’s event proceeds to benefit CLEAN AND GREEN PHANGAN, a project dedicated to preserving the enchanting atmosphere of this island:

PFF invites you all to a collective PLASTIC CLEAN UP on Earth Day in cooperation with Thai authorities and the local Phangan community.

Meeting point is the main pier in Thongsala, Koh Phangan

Time: 09.00 – 12.00 hrs.

Date: 22 April 2008

I clean my beach every day :o

Anyway, just a suggestion, I realize it is for Earth Day and all but the really bad time of year for garbage on the beach is generally around August when all the crap in the ocean washes up on Ban Tai, Ban Kai and the west side of Had Rin. The current changes and it pushes all the garbage from the big fishing boats, stuff from Surat Thani etc etc etc on to the west facing side of the island.

Thanks Super Moderator.

That is an excellent point. Hopefully the April cleanup can trigger more regular events - I do know that Samui has had many attempts in establishing a frequent routine of beach cleanings (some more succesful then others). Does such a movement exist on Phangan?

Not that I know of, most bungalow operators clean up their own beach which makes a major difference. And there used to be something set up by Phangan explorer "Green Cross" to clean up Hadrin after the party, but other than that, nothing organized that I know of.

The puyaiban of Ban Kai organizes regular road clean-ups in Ban Kai, where all garbage is removed, the grass trimmed etc. Perhaps 3-4 times a year? Thong Sala's road gets cleaned by the Tessaban. And, again, most resorts and bungalow places clean up the beach in front of their place regularly. It is the unoccupied bits that collect the most garbage. And generally not too bad.

Until, of course, the current and wind shifts and all the crap in the ocean washes up on the west side. I couldn't figure out where the rubber gloves were coming from until my husband told me that the fishermen on the big boats use them when cleaning the nets. As soon as its no longer useable, over the side of the boat it goes. Along with old nets, rope, big lightbulbs, coffee and creamer packets and the occasional (lovely to find in amongst the seaweed) needle :o

Thanks for the info. I fully agree: As in other islands paradises, the bulk of the trash comes from the high seas. As we all know: Not only is it unsightly, the plastic also causes serious problems to the local fauna.

Chaweng's beaches (where I used to work) are fairly clean, because hotel owner's have a commercial interest. The more remote places are horribly littered, and here is where a bit of community spirit would work wonders. I still dont understand why the local branch of the Thai Hotel Association cannot manage to convince its members to make an effort to clean up beyond their property lines: Not only from an ethical but also from a commercial point of view (In the end it doesnt matter where exactly Mr. Meyer from Germany has stepped on that needle - ultimately he will not return).

Running the risk to repeat myself: I would hope Phangan locals and residents love their home enough and realize that they should help to keep it clean...

I also clean our 200m stretch of beach at Bantai on a daily basis. This is what I generally find:

Styrofoam, which breaks up into millions of small balls ready to be swallowed by fish - a slow death for them and everything further up the food chain.

Plastics of all sorts, which when piled up deep enough on the beach gets burned into a toxic plume by locals.

Deadly asbestos/cement broken roof tiles, most of them washed up from near the Bantai pier area - that "beach" is one of the Chernobyls of KPG.

Broken beer bottles.

Discarded batteries, boat nails and engine oil filters.

The occasional needle.

The very occasional 1000 Baht note. :o

jose '-)

I will certainly make an effort to get to Thongsala pier - I presume by "main pier" it's the Seatran/Lomprayah one with the new playground area? and not the Raja one which used to be "the main pier". I don't live on a beach but in the groves and it will give me a chance to get out of the house, as long as littl'un lets me and is happy to be in the sling at that hot time of day!

The Green Cross Party group was disbanded as far as I know and Mr Cow's son - the mayor - took over where they left off and cleans Haad Rin beach after every Full Moon. They also sell luminous wristbands to raise some cash for it.

The diving community arrange a once a year dive to scavenge for rubbish in the sea but I'm not sure where they do it or when it happens but I saw a poster so it must still be happening, somewhere.

I agree with sbk, there are times of the year when you just don't want to take a walk on the unkempt west side, there is too much sea pooh. Here's hoping this new Earth Day thing can be extended to include different beaches around the island.

Incidentally, Ella, I have never heard of the Phangan Film Festival - what's all that about, do you have any links or info please?

Hey Nam, nice to see you back, you must have some free time finally! :o

Its difficult for the smaller bungalow places to do much cleaning up beyond their boundaries, believe me, I speak from personal experience. The manpower is small, the beach is large, and in the dirtiest time of year it can take up to 2 hours to clean up our beach alone. So, that takes what few staff we do have away from their other duties, like cooking for customers. I'd like to hire someone to clean it up, but since it would only be in the morning, there aren't many takers. Short of hiring an illegal Burmese worker (which is not a choice, for us) not sure what else to do except get out there and do it ourselves. So, given that, the neighboring beach will just have to take care of itself.

a friend of mine was telling me about some friends of hers who got caught smoking joints on one of the other islands. in addition to paying the regular fines they had to clean up the beach every day for a week. would be really easy to implement that here on phangan, i think!

a friend of mine was telling me about some friends of hers who got caught smoking joints on one of the other islands. in addition to paying the regular fines they had to clean up the beach every day for a week. would be really easy to implement that here on phangan, i think!

It's a good ideas ! the most of the places of this island will be soon clean :o

Incidentally, Ella, I have never heard of the Phangan Film Festival - what's all that about, do you have any links or info please?

Hi Nam!

Check out www.phanganfilmfestival.com

The inaugural event was held on 5th and 6th April 2008. Some of the forum members have negatively commented (number of films per night, seating arrangements etc.) after the event. I personally thought it was a brave effort, and as I know the organizers, I am happy to report that these points have been achnowledged and will be i mproved on in future events.

Sorry, if I have confused some people: The clean-up is arranged by local Thai authorities. The film festival is donating part of their proceeds of the recent event to support this effort. Let's hope a lot of people join in tomorrow. And yes, it is the Seatran pier.

Cheers