Satit English Program

thainet

For parents that may have (or will have) their children in the new Satit English Program.

Any information on the quality, learning experience etc would be much appreciated.

Mostly interested in the Kindergarten 2 and 3 classes.

Thank you.

I am a highly qualified teacher and choose to home educate my 2 very intelligent boys, as the teaching here is so bad. I put them into the Satit English programme Summer School. I did not expect too much and the main reason was that they get to mix with other kids for a month. I made a point to talk to their teachers beforehand to explain that both my kids were way beyond their years in English and maths. My conversations were wasted. Lessons were poorly planned, if planned at all. The level of teaching was totally inappropriate for my kids and I am now trying to catch up with a lost month. It is clear that their teachers have had little or no training. My 9 year old actually taught one lesson on directions (North south east west etc) as many of the kids had English asa second language. I wouldguess t hat histeacher has a minimal background in ESL. My 6 year old (who studioes maths at Grade 10 level!!) spent the fortnight doing adding and subtracting with a little bit of fractions! IT lessons were spent playing games, assuming the children found a computer that worked!

I had a long conversation with the principal of the ELP and made many suggetions from my many years of experience in teaching in the UK and around the world. The main point being that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that unfortunately, is what many of the teachers are. Do not expect much from the school until they up their pay (currently around 30k/m). Our friend has a girl in K1 and she seems to be doing OK. She is a little horror and the school seems to be working wqell with her so maybe for early yeasr it is OK. I do like the ambience and the location is good, as I told them. With the right investment it could easilyu be the best bilingual school in Pattaya - but not until they start employing qualified teachers. (they did offer me a job but I told them they'd have totriple the offer!)

I am a highly qualified teacher and choose to home educate my 2 very intelligent boys, as the teaching here is so bad. I put them into the Satit English programme Summer School. I did not expect too much and the main reason was that they get to mix with other kids for a month. I made a point to talk to their teachers beforehand to explain that both my kids were way beyond their years in English and maths. My conversations were wasted. Lessons were poorly planned, if planned at all. The level of teaching was totally inappropriate for my kids and I am now trying to catch up with a lost month. It is clear that their teachers have had little or no training. My 9 year old actually taught one lesson on directions (North south east west etc) as many of the kids had English asa second language. I wouldguess t hat histeacher has a minimal background in ESL. My 6 year old (who studioes maths at Grade 10 level!!) spent the fortnight doing adding and subtracting with a little bit of fractions! IT lessons were spent playing games, assuming the children found a computer that worked!

I had a long conversation with the principal of the ELP and made many suggetions from my many years of experience in teaching in the UK and around the world. The main point being that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that unfortunately, is what many of the teachers are. Do not expect much from the school until they up their pay (currently around 30k/m). Our friend has a girl in K1 and she seems to be doing OK. She is a little horror and the school seems to be working wqell with her so maybe for early yeasr it is OK. I do like the ambience and the location is good, as I told them. With the right investment it could easilyu be the best bilingual school in Pattaya - but not until they start employing qualified teachers. (they did offer me a job but I told them they'd have totriple the offer!)

From Thainet::: Thanks for the information. I have also gathered that the early years (ie: K1-K3) and possibly a little beyond are quite good, whether in the Thai or English classes, but after that the discipline and teacher qualifications are definitely lacking!.

A highly qualified teacher who can't spell

Hi Thainet

A month or two I posted this same topic......please do a search for it for some insight (it turned into a flame fest) so I left it alone.

However I did take the plunge and remove my son from Best and placed him into the summer school program, which he had attended for the last month, I know its only summer school so I can not really comment on the English program, he seemed to enjoy his time there and actually enjoyed going to class.

I have decided to go ahead and give the program a try this term, my son will start in K2, from the Thai and foreign teachers I met, they seemed ok and did have interest in the childrens education (in my opinion).

A friend of my has had his son there for almost 5 years and is very happy with the quality, each to their own though!

If the school does not work out, then at least I have tried.

My next stop would be Regents.

Ace

Not all of us are fortunate enough to be the parents of superior beings :o please think before you post :D

I'm glad you did not take the job.

Grammatical and spelling errors, tut tut!

Highly qualified teacher? Of what, pray tell? English or woodworking? lol

And hands up all those who assess their children as highly intelligent? I thought so - all of us!

Just to let people know, that their has been a mass exit of students at Best. I went to pick up my sons transfer papers yesterday and the list of students leaving was unreal many of whom was from my sons 3rd grade class.

Barry

Not surprised Barry, it really has gone downhill, pity as I feel it had potential.

Heres hoping for a new start at Satit.

Where have you moved your kids too?

Just to let people know, that their has been a mass exit of students at Best. I went to pick up my sons transfer papers yesterday and the list of students leaving was unreal many of whom was from my sons 3rd grade class.

Barry

Not surprised Barry, it really has gone downhill, pity as I feel it had potential.

Heres hoping for a new start at Satit.

Where have you moved your kids too?

I have one in fourth grade and he will attend school in Surin. I believe their are not any good schools on the Eastern Seaboard of Thailand.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Grammatical and spelling errors, tut tut!

Highly qualified teacher? Of what, pray tell? English or woodworking? lol

And hands up all those who assess their children as highly intelligent? I thought so - all of us!

I was thinking the same njpski. Qualified Teacher indeed. Must be one of those that the Ministry of Education (MOE) are attempting to deport from Thailand for having fake degree's. Gives us legitimate teachers a bad name. My question to the "Qualified Teacher" is this. Did you sit the Teacher Licence Course to obatain a Licence to Teach in Thailand, or are you a Border Runner. Just a thought.

I was thinking the same njpski. Qualified Teacher indeed. Must be one of those that the Ministry of Education (MOE) are attempting to deport from Thailand for having fake degree's. Gives us legitimate teachers a bad name. My question to the "Qualified Teacher" is this. Did you sit the Teacher Licence Course to obatain a Licence to Teach in Thailand, or are you a Border Runner. Just a thought.

degree's?????

degree's?????

And he claims to be a "legitimate teacher" :o

WOW! .... chill out you guys, I'm sure gosmond was only trying to help. No need to take the p**s.

I wasn't referring to Gosmond, I was referring to TerryM a "legitimate teacher" who doesn't know the difference between a possessive S and a plural S.