Marriage Visa - Requirements

Hello

I am a US Citizen, 46 years old, married in thailand, to a Thai national for almost a year now with all the paperwork needed (marriage certificate etc..) I have a baby girl now and I have already gotten her a USA, and thai passport. I had a B visa but it has expired and now I am on a tourist visa. We have two houses here in Chiang mai in my wifes name, a car, credit line and a 5 year drivers license. We have been together here in Thailand for about 5 years and have the images and videos plus receipts etc to prove all of this...

I would like to get my marriage O visa and wanted to know do I have to leave the country to get it... or can I get it with out leaving Thailand. If I have to leave which country is an easy in and out. I was told that Lao seems to be the best bet as I live in Chiang Mai.

Thank you any information you can direct me to.

Can you meet the 40k per month family income (tax records or embassy letter) to allow a one year extension of stay? That should be your goal if you can. That could be done at Immigration office in Chiang Mai.

Otherwise you could probably obtain a 60 day extension under provision 7.23 of the current immigration orders from an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Outside Thailand you can easily obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa with marriage certificate/copy of wife id card and home register. In Singapore they will issue a multi entry one year version if you can show 400k in a bank account somewhere. KL or Penang might issue multi entry with the proof of funds but not always a positive outcome there.

I believe Laos will issue a single entry only and expect you to extend your stay at Immigration.

Hello .. thanks for the reply....

Yes I can meet the proof of incoming funds.. its not monthly ... but I am guessing it doesnt make a difference.. meaning... one month I might get 300k and the next month nothing.. but then the next month 400k... I am guessing they average this out.. ??

Edited by swain

You will need a letter from your Embassy or Consulate that confirms your annual or monthly income and they will use that to figure out the monthly amount in baht I believe. Secondary method is to make sure spouse has income at or above that level with tax payment proof.

You will need a letter from your Embassy or Consulate that confirms your annual or monthly income and they will use that to figure out the monthly amount in baht I believe. Secondary method is to make sure spouse has income at or above that level with tax payment proof.

I got this before from the US Consulate ... all they did is have me raise my hand and have me swear this information is correct? Is this all that is needed... or is this a more in depth document?

That is it. Immigration can always ask for supporting paperwork if required but do not believe it normally is.

Thank you... I will go get the missing paperwork and deal with this tomorrow.. I am assuming that if granted there is a visa fee as well.. just so I bring enough cash can you give me the amount?

There is a visa conversion fee of 2,000 baht if you have 21 days or more remaining on your tourist visa entry or extension and the normal 1,900 baht when you extend for a year. You can also obtain in Laos (single entry non immigrant O visa) without the financial paperwork and then 60-90 days later extend at Immigration.

There is a visa conversion fee of 2,000 baht if you have 21 days or more remaining on your tourist visa entry or extension and the normal 1,900 baht when you extend for a year. You can also obtain in Laos (single entry non immigrant O visa) without the financial paperwork and then 60-90 days later extend at Immigration.

I am down to 14 days on my tourist visa. Should have dealt with this earlier ... does this mean I can not do the conversion and will have to leave the country?

Know they will want 21 days remaining if you use visa exempt entry and quite sure also for tourist visa change. But you could do a quick border run to obtain the 30 day visa exempt stamp and return to do it.

Chiang Mai immigration have authority to change from TV or from visa exempt stamp to a 90-day non-O for the retirement option but not for the marriage option. For this you must go to Bangkok (room 303) with at least 21 days remaining on your visa or visa exempt stamp.