Oasis Hong Kong

Oasis Hong Kong Halts Flights Amid Surging Fuel Costs

April 9 (Bloomberg) -- Oasis Hong Kong Airlines Ltd., the 17-month-old budget carrier that took on Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. on some of its most profitable routes, ceased operations, crippled by rising oil prices and landing fees at Asia's third- busiest airport.

The airline has applied for a voluntary liquidator and is seeking new investors, Chief Executive Officer Stephen Miller said at a Hong Kong press conference. It was losing more than HK$1 million a flight, the Hong Kong Economic Times said earlier, citing unidentified people.

Oasis was unable to sustain its low-fare model because of competition from Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong's biggest airline, and four other carriers on flights to London. The airline is the fourth worldwide to shut down within two weeks after a 73 percent surge in fuel costs over the past year.

``The competition among airlines is fierce in Hong Kong,'' said Edward Wong, an aviation analyst at Quam Ltd. ``The rising oil price affects carriers globally.''

The shutdown will affect thousands of passengers and about 700 staff, KPMG's Edward Middleton, who will oversee the liquidation, said at the press conference. The airline's service to London early tomorrow morning was fully booked, as were flights over the coming few days, he added. Passengers with bookings should contact the airline.

Stranded Passengers

Continues here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

LaoPo

Thats sad sad news :o . i defenitely concider myself 'affected' ! Flown with them & liked it ! Former JAL planes inseat movies.

Nice meals, nice price, my heart breaks to see the scumbags like AirAsia prosper (btw. they've just introduced charges for checked in bags>to make ur fares lower,they lie) & really nice airlines go bankrupt !! Most people fly very seldom, to understand the difference , but i can't understand WHY the airlines with shitty attitudes go far in expanding & prospering, while nicely ones struggle .. Demise of Ansett in Oz comes to mind, as well