You Have To Love The Chinese...

everyone else just sits quietly in their seat after the plane takes off... boring, boring, boring. The Chinese turn around in their seats leaning on their knees and start conversations with the other members of their tour four rows down, take to the isle for a couple of great snap shots for the old photo albumn and they just make the flight so lively and spirited... I love it... I mean, I am going to learn Chinese just so I can take part in it. Plus, their conservations block out the sound of the engine.

everyone else just sits quietly in their seat after the plane takes off... boring, boring, boring. The Chinese turn around in their seats leaning on their knees and start conversations with the other members of their tour four rows down, take to the isle for a couple of great snap shots for the old photo albumn and they just make the flight so lively and spirited... I love it... I mean, I am going to learn Chinese just so I can take part in it. Plus, their conservations block out the sound of the engine.

:D I experienced exactly the same, in a plane from Bangkok to Hangzhou/China.....with Thai :D

What you experienced is a group tour, possibly and even most likely the first flight in their lives. They are nervous and excited going on a holiday for 1 week. You don't see that kind of behavior on scheduled flights in China apart from the very irritating switch-ON mobiles once the plane touches ground and 90% of the passengers start phoning and talking very loud... :o

In the old days in Europe the tour-group travelers applauded once the wheels of the plane touched ground€ at landing.

You never noticed that on scheduled flights. It's all in the world-game. :D but I agree, it can be very annoying for other passengers.

LaoPo

Hummm...Suspect you are also pleased that airlines are considering allowing mobile phone use in flight. :o

For myself I actually like hearing the sound of the engines, call me old fashioned but it's when one can't hear the engines that you should start worrying!

TBWG :D

Sounds pretty tame given that the native Chinese are the most rudest, impolite and obnoxiously ill mannered race I've ever encountered.

Sounds pretty tame given that the native Chinese are the most rudest, impolite and obnoxiously ill mannered race I've ever encountered.

It always amazes me if someone is able to judge a complete nation...this one with 1.3 Billion people.

I'm coming over 30 years to China and have been all over the place, including rural areas but I never encountered the negative image some people apparently encountered.

I have NEVER felt insecure or afraid; I was more scared in some cities in Europe and the US.

It's all in the eye of the beholder; I have always fun with Chinese people, on the streets, bars, restaurants, elevators...you name it. Always fun.

It is you, who is capable of handling & adapting to situations or not. That doesn't mean I like all Chinese or that I like ALL of my own country people.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It always amazes me if someone is able to judge a complete nation...this one with 1.3 Billion people.

I'm coming over 30 years to China and have been all over the place, including rural areas but I never encountered the negative image some people apparently encountered.

I have NEVER felt insecure or afraid; I was more scared in some cities in Europe and the US.

It's all in the eye of the beholder; I have always fun with Chinese people, on the streets, bars, restaurants, elevators...you name it. Always fun.

It is you, who is capable of handling & adapting to situations or not. That doesn't mean I like all Chinese or that I like ALL of my own country people.

LaoPo

Ditto here. I only like ~44% of the Chinese population (perhaps less than that depending on her beauty...)

Oh, we're talking about like and not lust? :o

I experience much of the same flying through Hong Kong on my last trip. The flight attendants in particular were getting quite upset. Yelling at them in Chinese and getting a blank stare back, then switching to english, and when that didn't work back to Chinese.

Never had any problem with the Taiwanese when flying Eva.

LaoPo

Ditto here. I only like ~44% of the Chinese population (perhaps less than that depending on her beauty...)

Care to explain ? I don't see what 'lust' has to do with the content of my message...

LaoPo

LaoPo

Care to explain ? I don't see what 'lust' has to do with the content of my message...

LaoPo

It didn't have anything to do with your post. But rather with my fixations since childhood......

LaoPo

Lets agree to disagree.

agree, and I feel funny every time. :o

I don't understand when Chinese people talk to each other, why they have to speak quite out loud, too lousy even they just sit close to each other?

I am Thai/Chinese, actually fully Chinese but born and stay all my life in Thailand.

I don't behave like this, no one in my family as well.

Think positive (again), maybe this is their culture, but I don't know the good meaning.

Like Japanese, when they eat Ramen, they always suck (not sure about this word) the noodle so loud

which is impolite in Thai's thinking,

but for Japanese, this behavior is to show the respectful and grateful to the Cook that the Ramen is extremely yummy.

Each Culture is really different...

Btw, not only Chinese people do the funny act on the plane,

Indian people as well, as immediately the plane had landed but still running on the way.

Most, almost everyone got up from the seat and turn on their cell phone, some had opened the upper cabin case to get their stuffs.

Even air-attendant begged them to sit still for their safety. The Indian seemed not care.

I had this experience while I had a flight BKK to Mumbai.

Sounds better than the group of annoying girly brit teens doing the Chattanooga Choo Choo up and down the isles constantly. I've never evr really wanted to slap anyone before that very day. That day was a sad day for Glen Miller. Pity it had to be on a plane too.

I just get pissed off how they skip the queue at the airports. While I was traveling in China and HK this happened all the times.

try waiting at air asia check in counter for 45 mins (they were late opening) only to have two chinese tour groups walk right past me and check in as if by right! then, during the flight to Singapore each and every one of them had instant noodles, some more than once, nearly drove the flight attendants nuts, Then they all had hot water flasks needing to be filled, the polite Thai flight attendants obliged but you could see them pulling faces between themselves. And the noise.... don't get me started....

I just get pissed off how they skip the queue at the airports. While I was traveling in China and HK this happened all the times.

Happens to me all the time in China. Airports, bus stops, taxi ranks, ATM's..you name the place and it I have experienced line jumpers.

The trick is not to get mad, I used to silently huff and puff as if that would make some sort of difference. Then a couple of times I actually grabbed an arm and pulled them behind me but in hindsight that was foolish (except the arrogant German at Swampypoon Airport:angry:)

Just calmly walk in front of them and take your deserved spot. No need for hostilities or anger. Once you have done this you will find that the people behind will also do the same. Try it and see.

Tour groups at immigration are the worse IMO

Happens to me all the time in China. Airports, bus stops, taxi ranks, ATM's..you name the place and it I have experienced line jumpers.

The trick is not to get mad, I used to silently huff and puff as if that would make some sort of difference. Then a couple of times I actually grabbed an arm and pulled them behind me but in hindsight that was foolish (except the arrogant German at Swampypoon Airport:angry:)

Just calmly walk in front of them and take your deserved spot. No need for hostilities or anger. Once you have done this you will find that the people behind will also do the same. Try it and see.

:o I must be one lucky guy as I never experience(d) it..never. And I'm not even a dangerous looking Giant ! :D

But, I promise: next time when it does happen I'll them about you ! They will back off, I'm sure ! :D

LaoPo

:o I must be one lucky guy as I never experience(d) it..never. And I'm not even a dangerous looking Giant ! :D

But, I promise: next time when it does happen I'll them about you ! They will back off, I'm sure ! :D

Up to you! :D

I could not agree with this more. I stayed at the Mercure in Pattaya which unfortunitly needs the tour groups to stay a float.

The chinese that stay there are so rude that by the end of the week I feel like pulling there heads off. They are constantly cutting in line and trying to steal your toast or eggs that you are in line waiting for. They are also constantly bumping into you reaching over your shoulder trying to get some food. The Hotel staff even commented that they are the worst guest that the hotel has but they need there money to keep the hotel running. They say that the chinese steal food from the breakfast buffet to take on the tour bus. They fill there purses and shopping bags with food. The staff tells them every day that they cannot do this but the refuse to listen.

I never been to China and I must say that if these people are a glimpse of what chinese people are like , I don't think I will ever go there. I know it was said earlier that you can't judge a country by a small amount of people you meet from it but I disagree. I sure not all act that way but I think the majority probably does. If they don't act like this in China then what is it that makes them act this way in Thailand?

The Mercure is a very nice hotel and I have been staying there alot lately, but these tour groups are starting to make me rethink where to stay.

PKG

I could not agree with this more. I stayed at the Mercure in Pattaya which unfortunitly needs the tour groups to stay a float.

The chinese that stay there are so rude that by the end of the week I feel like pulling there heads off. They are constantly cutting in line and trying to steal your toast or eggs that you are in line waiting for. They are also constantly bumping into you reaching over your shoulder trying to get some food. The Hotel staff even commented that they are the worst guest that the hotel has but they need there money to keep the hotel running. They say that the chinese steal food from the breakfast buffet to take on the tour bus. They fill there purses and shopping bags with food. The staff tells them every day that they cannot do this but the refuse to listen.

I never been to China and I must say that if these people are a glimpse of what chinese people are like , I don't think I will ever go there. I know it was said earlier that you can't judge a country by a small amount of people you meet from it but I disagree. I sure not all act that way but I think the majority probably does. If they don't act like this in China then what is it that makes them act this way in Thailand?

The Mercure is a very nice hotel and I have been staying there alot lately, but these tour groups are starting to make me rethink where to stay.

PKG

And you are seeing the "posh" ones. :D

Actually having worked here in China for a few years it is just the way they are, for instance, I am on a Chinese Oil rig as I write this, tonight two large crates of bananas were put out with dinner and all disappeared in minutes with the first men in line (line being a relative term in this case) stuffing every available pocket with as many bananas as possible, this is turn gets the other guys in the "line" to panic about the looming banana shortage and therefore triggers a mini stampede. The fruit is then taken away by the victors and put in their rooms or lockers.

Periodic hygene inspections always turn up quantities of rotten fruit in hideyholes around the rig.

It has nothing to do with being hungry as there is an "all you can eat" meal every six hours for whoever is hungry and snacks etc in between. It is just greed and anti social behaviour.

The more civilised Chinese nationals onboard are embarrassed by this behaviour, so there is hope. :o

PKG

I don't doubt your story for a minute and it's probably all true.

That doesn't mean that all Chinese are the same or any other population from a certain country.

Chinese tour groups are infamous and not so well liked....but it depends what KIND of tour group.

Tour packages in China are sold all over the place and a lot of them are dead cheap, trying to reach large numbers of Chinese who have never been outside their own area (not even talking China...) and have no clue how to behave abroad.

These people are from the countryside, low educated and don't speak a word outside their own dialect and maybe some Mandarin. They hang into each other and will be completely lost without guides. Don't forget these people have been 'locked up' for centuries.... :o

I am very surprised though that you mention they 'take/steal/ toast and/or eggs. Chinese don't eat toast or eggs for breakfast unless there's nothing else; Chinese eat 3 times warm food/day and would rather eat Thai food than toast.

I have to laugh a bit though that the staff said that they take 'food' for the bus tour; maybe they mean fruit etc. I can understand that but it's 'not done' in our eyes.

However, hotels shouldn't complain since they charge ridiculous money for breakfast buffets. They make HUGE profits on breakfast/lunch/dinner buffets, so they shouldn't complain.

But, my wife (Chinese) and I wouldn't like to stay in such a hotel...we would move :D

It's the same as if I had to stay in a 'hooligan' hotel during the coming European Championship football in Austria/Switzerland...you don't want to be associated with them.

I feel deeply ashamed if I see a group of my fellow countrymen on holiday in Spain, for instance, behaving like animals....I'll walk a block or 2 to avoid them.

Khunandy and the banana story:

It's sad to read that these folks do that but I understand.....please, don't forget that ALL of us have been born and educated with a full breakfast table, lunch and dinner.

They were not; these guys are probably from the poorest of the poorest countryside regions in China and they've been born in a time that food and fruit was hard to get. It is in their genes to try and grab as much food as possible as long as it's there within reaching distance.

It will take them a long time to adjust.

Ever seen the tv-images from hungry people in Darfur and elsewhere ?.....they'll fight and take as much as possible if they see the chance....

We don't have to do that........................ anymore, but I still remember the war stories of my parents...same-same.

LaoPo

a few weeks ago i spent some time in Macau. 99.99% of the hotel guests were mainland chinese. although most of them were quite sloppily dressed, very polite and friendly people. no queue jumping at buffet breakfast or when using an elevator. among them some real beauties who made Mrs Naam once in a while put her elbow in my ribs whilst muttering disapprovingly "stop staring!" of course i kept on staring... behind Mrs Naam's back :o

I never been to China and I must say that if these people are a glimpse of what chinese people are like , I don't think I will ever go there.

From the look of things, you probably won't need to... as they'll bring it right to wherever you are.

I kinda like it when "they" move in or visit, it's like going to Chinatown without the roast duck smell and jousting neon signs.

:o

Well I for one hate their gut's. before I came to live out here I always thought of them as hard working people who could cook a good meal.

After living out here and witnessing their rudeness and abruptnesses in every respect right across the board I now feel the way I do.

They don't even smile when their taking your money. I don't think I have ever seen a Chinese smile, maybe the wife smiles when getting her portion in the bedroom but I doubt it .

Well I for one hate their gut's. before I came to live out here I always thought of them as hard working people who could cook a good meal.

After living out here and witnessing their rudeness and abruptnesses in every respect right across the board I now feel the way I do.

They don't even smile when their taking your money. I don't think I have ever seen a Chinese smile, maybe the wife smiles when getting her portion in the bedroom but I doubt it .

Please, mind your words and don't be rude.

My wife is Chinese and smiles, a million times a day.

No need to condemn a complete nation; you wouldn't like it when I condemned yours (here on TV) just because I had bad experiences with your fellow countrymen, would you ? :o

LaoPo

http://www.chinese-culture.net/html/china_culture_shock.html

Heres a good link. my apologies to your wife, out of the 1.3 billion your very lucky to have found her, no no Im only joking Im sure there are many nice well manured Chinese around but I think as a nation they are seen as rude and abrupt. I wonder how they see us ? that might be an interesting one ?

The vast majority of middle-aged older folks (say > 40) pretty well summs up your vivid descriptions of their "anti-social" behavior and responses. Fortunately, most come from the smaller cities and villages in the Mainland (NOT HK, Macao Taiwan or in any other overseas Chinese communities) and do not represent much of the urban people down south nor the younger generation albeit the latter should work on their hygene ... :o