Best Restaurants?

makavelli

As stated, Kinnaree on Soi 8, an easy walk from the Landmark, is a very classy, quality food Thai restaurant in a lovely house type setting. They also have some classic Thai dance performance during the evenings (check with them on the timing) that your parents might like. In a city that's NEVER quiet, the interior of Kinnaree is peacefully calm and quiet, which can be very refreshing at times. The service is good and attentive in a very low-key way. It's a bit pricey, but worth it for entertaining purposes.

A bit further down Soi 8 is a reputedly very good French restaurant, name Le Banyan. Also expensive, but I've only ever heard good things about it. But can't vouch personally, since French food is pretty much the only cuisine I go out of my way to avoid.

Web site: http://www.le-banyan.com/menu.htm

And WOW...I just see now in checking their web site, it says Le Banyan is going to be evicted next year (during 2009) to make way for a new condo project, one of several going in on Soi 8. The web site says they're now looking for new places for their future home.

We will be staying in the Landmark. Are there any nice restaurants in this area?

Thanks

I'm personally not a fan of 'Hotel' restaurants (unless it's for a buffet pig out) so my suggestions are -

Cabbages and Condoms on Soi 12.

Kinnaree on Soi 8.

Both are within walking distance of The Landmark with 'Kinnaree' being my pick of the two. Verrrrrrrrry Nice. :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for your replies.

My parents and grandmother will be staying in Bangkok for 6 nights so really looking for 6 really nice restaurants to be able to take them to. My grandmother cannot really walk that far, however we will be able to get a taxi.

If u had 6 nights, where would your top 6 restaurants be? Any cuisine

Thanks

Here's a go at a top six...

-- do a Chao Phraya dinner/river cruise for the BKK river experience and good food.

see the web site below for some of your dinner cruise options.

http://bangkok.sawadee.com/canals.htm

-- see the city from on high with dinner at either Vertigo or Sirroco.

--pick one of the top-end steak houses for great food and service and views, including at the Landmark or Marriott.

-- sample one of the top end Thai restaurants recommended earlier in the thread like Blue Elephant or Kinnaree... I'd be partial to including one that includes traditional Thai dance like Kinnaree..but there also are others.

-- something that would be fun for your family, but not mentioned already yet, is a dinner show experience called Siam Niramit... The food alone does not qualify...but the experience of the show and dinner would be something your family would really enjoy. You can find reviews and descriptions on the Internet. It's typically purchased as a package deal through tour operators or hotels.

--then that leaves another choice for one of the really good other ethnic food choices in BKK, so pick Italian or French or Indian (based on family preferences) among the various good choices mentioned above in those categories.

Local Chefs on their day off enjoy eating at:

Chesa, Soi 20

Bulieau, Soi 19

Bel Guardo, Siam Paragon

Indigo, Convent St

Baco Sergio, Soi 53

JW Marriott

Four Seasons

Hyatt Erawan

My favorite Thai place is at the corner Thong Lor - 13.

Chinese at Jasmine, Times Square

Edited by PadThaiGuy

"Chinese at Jasmine, Times Square"

Now you are talking!!!

Very good Chinese and I have been to some good ones - only last week I had the 10 course banquet for our Annual conference dinner at a top Taipei place but i prefer Jasmine

I also like Crystal Jade at Paragon but its just a Singapore chain albeit better than most. Actually one iof the Thai girls from our BKK office is down in Singapore for 2 weeks working and was going on about this place yesterday wanting to try the Singapore one whiles on expenses.

Ventianne Kitchen is a nice restaurant, specializing in Isan food (Northeastern Thailand). And it's not a far taxi ride down Sukhumvit Road from the Landmark Hotel.

There are going to be some familiar Thai dishes, and a lot of exotic ones your family won't recognize or probably want (including ant egg soup).

That said, they have Thai dancing and live music at night, you can sit on the floor with cushions or sit at wooden tables in a rustic Thai style environment. It's popular with tourists, and the food is pretty good, including many Isan choices.

But, it's not going to make it onto a fine/elegant dining list for BKK, depending on whether that's what you want or not.

Just a personal recommendation here to everyone who contributes.... If you're going to recommend a restaurant to the OP and to others, please take a moment of time to explain here WHY you're recommending someplace.

You may have gone there and like it. But for everyone else who hasn't gone there and doesn't necessarily know any particular place, some elaboration would be really helpful and informative.

Everyone has different tastes. Some like upmarket and pricey, some like downmarket and cheap. Some have Thai tastes, and others have western tastes. By explaining about why you're recommending someplace and a bit about it, you help everyone make better choices.

Try Rama III at the end of soi 14, I cannot remember the name, but have been there countless times, riverside, good food and prices.

I think you mean http://www.goodview.co.th/2006/home/home.php which is a very good shout.

The best seafood restaurant in Bangkok (in our view) is Baan Klang Nam and is the one Pampal is also referring to. I have been to Good View as well, but our favorite remains Baan Klang Nam. It is located at 3792/106 Soi 14, Rama III Rd. The only problem with it is that every evening it is packed so reservations are needed. Their phone # is 02-292-0175.

My wife and I plus children lived in BKK for 6 years and often visit 3 months in summer now that I am retired in U.S.A. Our very favorite restaurant to visit it La Opera. It is not huge but has excellent atmosphere if you like Italian. My favorite is fecchini alfrado and my wife always has her favorite kind of fish. It is more expensive than it used to be. We went there so often that all the staff knew us but a couple of years ago they seemed to change all of them so they are different now...but still excellent. They may have opera music playing in background but not so loud that you can have a good table conversation. White tablecloth/red napkin/table candle type cozy settings. We particularly liked to be seated in the round glass type room...like a sunroom but trees and growth keep out the sun above. Very nice there even when it is raining heavy. A taxi can take you there in perhaps 15 minutes from the Landmark...as I recall it is on Soi 39 off of Sukhumvit road but my memory may not be coorect on that. If you are interested send me an e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected] and I will find their business card to give exact location.

Best regards,

Terry

I hope I am wrong but I think the new younger owner of L'Opera was killed on his bike on Suk Soi 4 about a month ago - I am sure it was posted somewhere here but I hope I am wrong.

The older crazy Italian guy sold it - my ex used to work there.

I don't know about the motorcycle accident (and also hope it is just rumor), but the former owner of La Opera (the older crazy one) is back with Rossano's which is located at the end of soi 19 (which intersects Asoke at this point) opposite Ocean Tower 2). It has a lot of parking and it's phone # is 02-260-1861. It opened up a few months ago and has had good reviews.

Thon Kreung - very well known, the food is quite good, but the service is decidedly average. Would recommend if you have plenty of time - but definitely not if you're in a hurry.

Onethailand, sounds like a place we would try. Is parking available?

My wife and I plus children lived in BKK for 6 years and often visit 3 months in summer now that I am retired in U.S.A. Our very favorite restaurant to visit it La Opera. It is not huge but has excellent atmosphere if you like Italian. My favorite is fecchini alfrado and my wife always has her favorite kind of fish. It is more expensive than it used to be. We went there so often that all the staff knew us but a couple of years ago they seemed to change all of them so they are different now...but still excellent. They may have opera music playing in background but not so loud that you can have a good table conversation. White tablecloth/red napkin/table candle type cozy settings. We particularly liked to be seated in the round glass type room...like a sunroom but trees and growth keep out the sun above. Very nice there even when it is raining heavy. A taxi can take you there in perhaps 15 minutes from the Landmark...as I recall it is on Soi 39 off of Sukhumvit road but my memory may not be coorect on that. If you are interested send me an e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected] and I will find their business card to give exact location.

Best regards,

Terry

I hope I am wrong but I think the new younger owner of L'Opera was killed on his bike on Suk Soi 4 about a month ago - I am sure it was posted somewhere here but I hope I am wrong.

The older crazy Italian guy sold it - my ex used to work there.

I don't know about the motorcycle accident (and also hope it is just rumor), but the former owner of La Opera (the older crazy one) is back with Rossano's which is located at the end of soi 19 (which intersects Asoke at this point) opposite Ocean Tower 2). It has a lot of parking and it's phone # is 02-260-1861. It opened up a few months ago and has had good reviews.

Found the thread - apparently it was Paulo the wine manager poor guy

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1863229

French: Le Beaulieu(2nd) and Le Normandie (1st)

Thai: Kinnaree and Sala Rim Naam and the Thai restaurants in the Banyan Tree hotel(6th) and Shangri-la hotel

Italian: Giusto(3rd), Zanotti, Gianni, Angelini, Biscotti

American/Steak: Landmark and JW Marriott(4th)

Californian: Harvey's(5th)

Seafood; Lord Jim's

Japanese: Koi, Tsu-nami

Tapas: Tapas Cafe

Caribean: Marriott riverside

Indian: Indus, Red

Mediterrenean: Scirocco(6th)

Chinese: China House

There are many many more excellent restaurants all over Bangkok, so other than asking here you should research online.

Expect to pay about 3,000-4,000 THB/head incl. wine

Edited by jrbkk64

Thon Kreung - very well known, the food is quite good, but the service is decidedly average. Would recommend if you have plenty of time - but definitely not if you're in a hurry.

Limited parking, yes. It's the soi that takes you straight to Samitivej Hospital from Thonglor and it's right on the corner - turn into the soi and then turn left into the parking lot.

Don't hurry to try it - I suspect you have been to many good or better Thai restaurants, but this one is pretty consistent at least. Always busy so that's a good sign.

Don't hurry to try it - I suspect you have been to many good or better Thai restaurants, but this one is pretty consistent at least. Always busy so that's a good sign.

If we are in the area, it beats going to Sizzler.

Thanks.

This is always going to be quite a personal choice. If I was to choose 6 nights of dining out with my parents I’d choose...

1) Beccofino – (Thonglor): Italian: Excellent service and menu, not cheap, great wine list.

2) ‘If it swims we have it’ (Sukhumvit 26): Sea Food: Average service, overpriced, but great for novelty value.

3) Thon Kreung – (Thonglor): Authentic Thai: Average Service, great Thai food, not expensive, always very busy.

4) Tsunami – (Marriot Ploenchit): Teppanyaki : Japanese: Excellent service and menu, they cook in front of you, not cheap, but worth it.

5) Trader Vics, Sunday Brunch – (Marriot Riverside): International: One of the best buffet’s in Bangkok (12-3pm), free flow wine and selected cocktails (Or the buffet at the Four Seasons hotel).

6) Also – for something a little more real – heading out of the centre a little to Ramintra Area.. along some of the restaurants on Kaset Navamin Rd. This is what a lot of the Thai families do, this would quite authentic.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all your replies.

Using all the information posted I have decided upto the following for my 6 nights:

Night 1 - Landmark hotel restaurant (We are staying in this hotel)

Night 2 - Kinnaree - Thoughts?

Night 3 - Vertigo

Night 4 - Le Banyan - Thoughts?

Night 5 - ?????

Night 6 - ?????

I would like to go to an very nice Italian restaurant - Any recommendations?

Would you change any of the resturants I have already chosen?

Thanks.

The Landmark has multiple restaurants, each with different style of foods.... But....for a single dinner there, I'd probably choose their steak house, which has good food and a nice view from on high...

Le Banyan, Vertigo and Kinnaree are all solid choices, each in their own category.... The common thread among them is all are classy, stylish and reasonably quiet/peaceful places.

For the other two nights, I'd suggest making one an Italian night, using any of the Italian places recommended above (can't offer an opinion on those, since I rarely choose Italian), and make the other night a dinner river cruise on the Chao Phrya..... For newcomers to BKK, you really don't want to miss that experience...

All together... a very good sampling of Bangkok eating....

You might want to try the Sukhumvit Soi 24 Sea Food Market. Though a tourist place and somewhat overpriced (which does not seem to be an issue), it will get a really good meal that is close to a real Thai seafood dinner (without having to speak Thai).

Oh, and I prefer Sirrco to Vertigo...

TH

Edited by thaihome

The China House at the Oriental is an excellant Chinese restaurant with the usual superlative Oriental service. I have been there on many occasions, both for their dim sum lunches and for dinner, and I have found the menu to be extensive and delicious. In fact all the restaurants at the Oriental are very good, and you can choose the type of food you prefer. By the way, they even do a river cruise.

Ventianne Kitchen is a nice restaurant, specializing in Isan food (Northeastern Thailand). And it's not a far taxi ride down Sukhumvit Road from the Landmark Hotel.

There are going to be some familiar Thai dishes, and a lot of exotic ones your family won't recognize or probably want (including ant egg soup).

That said, they have Thai dancing and live music at night, you can sit on the floor with cushions or sit at wooden tables in a rustic Thai style environment. It's popular with tourists, and the food is pretty good, including many Isan choices.

But, it's not going to make it onto a fine/elegant dining list for BKK, depending on whether that's what you want or not.

I only go there 2x a year but am amazed at the overall feel of this restaurant. It even packs in the locals and I would really recommend it for one night for a complete change, very different feel than all of the great restaurants listed already by everyone. We are blessed in a way in BKK with the food options.

• 10 months later...

I only go there 2x a year but am amazed at the overall feel of this restaurant. It even packs in the locals and I would really recommend it for one night for a complete change, very different feel than all of the great restaurants listed already by everyone. We are blessed in a way in BKK with the food options.

Vientiane Kitchen? Really? Crikey.

I went there a couple of weeks ago and had a wretched time. Unexceptional gai yang, fish/vermicelli rolls & nam prik, uncomfortable seating and tedious tourist trap music. Saw quite a few Japanese and farangs in there and a couple of Thais, maybe.

I guess it's worth another shot, but this place sure isn't a safe bet.

Vientiane Kitchen? Really? Crikey.

I went there a couple of weeks ago and had a wretched time. Unexceptional gai yang, fish/vermicelli rolls & nam prik, uncomfortable seating and tedious tourist trap music. Saw quite a few Japanese and farangs in there and a couple of Thais, maybe.

I guess it's worth another shot, but this place sure isn't a safe bet.

Slow day at the office I see PC, or were you in the mood for Isaan fare and felt the need to regurgetate my post from nearly a year ago?

Oops, didn't look at the date. Apologies. But blame Makavelli! He bumped it!

Anyway, to add something new, I went to the RR&B at the Landmark last week and had a great meal. Fantastic scallops and a steak easily as good as anything I've had at Madison or NY Steakhouse. The view (31F) ain't all that compared to other joints (Prime, Vertigo etc), but it's a nice change to peer down on Sukhumvit rather than Sathorn and the river.

Boy do you pay for it though! (Well, I didn't, but that's another story :) )