Security Of Tourists Assured For Songkran

george

thaigene: what city do you live in? The Thais of Chiang Mai with the exception of the middle aged and older have been described many times on TV and "Reserved" is not a well used discription. I do not see a lot of middle age or older Thais joing the water fight areas except as business people, selling ice, soft drinks, etc. I think Songkran is going the way of every holiday that is marketed here in Thailand. Give the people a reason and they would celebrate the death of JC, whoops sorry they were promoting bunnies, chicks and dinner a while back.One country calls it a stimulus package, here its called marketing, coinsideing with payday, bonuses, tip payments etc.Wonder why Farang behavior would be copied instead of the millions of monks who abound here?Just my 2 stang worth.

I don't think we're that far apart - I'm not saying that the local chinese-thai or thai-thai merchants - are above doing anything to make $ - just that the FARANG gave them the idea via TV pictures

thaigene: what city do you live in? The Thais of Chiang Mai with the exception of the middle aged and older have been described many times on TV and "Reserved" is not a well used discription. I do not see a lot of middle age or older Thais joing the water fight areas except as business people, selling ice, soft drinks, etc. I think Songkran is going the way of every holiday that is marketed here in Thailand. Give the people a reason and they would celebrate the death of JC, whoops sorry they were promoting bunnies, chicks and dinner a while back.One country calls it a stimulus package, here its called marketing, coinsideing with payday, bonuses, tip payments etc.Wonder why Farang behavior would be copied instead of the millions of monks who abound here?Just my 2 stang worth.

I don't think we're that far apart - I'm not saying that the local chinese-thai or thai-thai merchants - are above doing anything to make $ - just that the FARANG gave them the idea via TV pictures

Don't know who started it, but back in '88 arrived never having heard of Songkran and got a bucket of water thrown on me off a balcony, got worse as the night wore on. That was Thais doing it. Was quite a shock until someone explained what it was all about. People of a similar mindset do have a way of finding each other.

Someone should have told this to the 2 Korean girls murdered on Koh Larn on the 11th. See link to Pattaya Daily News;

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005666

Shocking news. This should probably go into the clippings as a story on its own.

Agree. This gets ignored but a story about people stealing metal from a building site gets a headline.

Don't know who started it, but back in '88 arrived never having heard of Songkran and got a bucket of water thrown on me off a balcony, got worse as the night wore on. That was Thais doing it. Was quite a shock until someone explained what it was all about. People of a similar mindset do have a way of finding each other.

So then it's at least 20 years? So why do the Thai papers keep going on and on about the tradition changing - it's been changed for a generation already!