Gps Problem

dennis13

hi guy's,

both me a gps today (KAMAZ NAAV 350)

got the map from thailand in it.

it works good navigating me to places i know.

but i can't give an adress in the ... machine.

my gf says thats normal for gps in thailand.

she says you have to bring the gps to the place where you want to go to, and then save that adress in your gps.

i can't believe that.

iff i been to a place once i know my way so i need no gps to get me back there.

i both the machine to navigate me to places i never been before.

can anyone help me here, is my gf right or did i just buy a stupid machine.

grtz dennis

hi guy's,

both me a gps today (KAMAZ NAAV 350)

got the map from thailand in it.

it works good navigating me to places i know.

but i can't give an adress in the ... machine.

my gf says thats normal for gps in thailand.

she says you have to bring the gps to the place where you want to go to, and then save that adress in your gps.

i can't believe that.

can anyone help me here, is my gf right or did i just buy a stupid machine.

grtz dennis

Finding addresses in Thailand can be problematic with a GPS. A lot of it has to do with the naming convention used on roads (or the lack of it). I use the Garmin/ESRI maps and its pretty good for major roads, and in almost all cases will get you pretty darn close to where you want to go. What your girl friend is talking about is setting a "way point" which is the GPS location of a place. As a rule, I mark just about anyplace that is important for me or that I might want to return to. It makes looking it up much easier.

-Drew

i can't believe that.

grtz dennis

:o to Thailand, the land of LOW TECH :D:D:D

For whatever reasons, if you bought the unit to find addresses, you are certainly going to be disappointed. That said, you can use the points of interest in the unit to get very close to where you want to go. There are several hundred thousand hotels, government offices, businesses, etc. on the map. Sometimes you are able to get coordinates for what you are looking for and those coordinates will take you exactly where you are going. I have found friend's homes using coordinates they got from Google Earth. The coordinates were amazingly accurate. GPS maps for Thailand are not perfect but I wouldn't be without my Garmin. It may be tricky finding exactly what I'm looking for, BUT, I never get lost and finding my way back home is simple indeed.

Seconded ! Now in europe theres more than a dosen brandnames offering GPS of all forms & prices. Lucky there are places to test them as well ! :o how happy i am to check before buy :D Even tomtom & sony comparing to garmin are what tuktuk is comparing to Camry(or Fortuner).. Althou the main reason to buy was the availability of maps, even now with the Thai set on it , i have no probs finding the streets >> only house number search is unavailable on asian maps,

but thats more to do with city planning i guess ( even in europe, it doesn't finds every house well)

For whatever reasons, if you bought the unit to find addresses, you are certainly going to be disappointed. That said, you can use the points of interest in the unit to get very close to where you want to go. There are several hundred thousand hotels, government offices, businesses, etc. on the map. Sometimes you are able to get coordinates for what you are looking for and those coordinates will take you exactly where you are going. I have found friend's homes using coordinates they got from Google Earth. The coordinates were amazingly accurate. GPS maps for Thailand are not perfect but I wouldn't be without my Garmin. It may be tricky finding exactly what I'm looking for, BUT, I never get lost and finding my way back home is simple indeed.

I don't have any maps loaded in my cheapie Garmin.  What I use most often for Thailand is Thi

nk Net's 

maps for Bangkok and Thailand.  These come with  CDs which I load on to my PC.  

Then 

scroll around until I find about where I want to go, red the Lat & Long off the bottom of the screen, enter in my GPS, and wander off into the sunset.  Works pretty well.

http://www.thinknet.co.th/06/eng/home.html

Available at most books stores.

Mac