What If ?

liberiosyah

Well just a quick q...what happens if gansters ask for Protection money from My internet shop???what should i do ??? or Police man comming up and ask for bribe because there is to many people in my cafe..and he says that its illegal gathering....can i open my cafe 24 hours ???

If not they will treathen my shops...

Who should i report to ?? Do i have any protection from the goverment???

I need to know thank you

what happens if gansters ask for Protection money from My internet shop???

Not to be construed as legal advice ... but these thoughts come to mind.

Is your shop 100% legit? Meaning is it licensed, paying appropriate taxes, meeting zoning ordinances, are your employees legit, etc.? Meaning are all of your operating systems and software licenses OEM compliant? And so on.

My guess is that if and only if you can answer these kinds of questions, then you may have an opportunity for some protection from the government. In that instance, then you may want to pursue these avenues through an attorney.

If you can't answer these kinds of questions with a yes, then you may well have to do as the others suggest and pony up. In that case, my suggestion would be to deal with as few people as possible, if possible. IOW, if it's the mob then deal with one bagman only. If it's the cops, then deal with one cop only.

Reading the Samui forum I learn that there is NO mafia in Koh Phangan.If your bar is there and you get tapped up for protection money just tell them to piss off.You know they are only pranksters.

I would'nt follow that claim either, just because they might not be recognised mafia, they can still make life very rough for farangs.

Reading the Samui forum I learn that there is NO mafia in Koh Phangan.If your bar is there and you get tapped up for protection money just tell them to piss off.You know they are only pranksters.

I suppose if you don't value your business or life I guess this would be sensible advice. :o

:D If any Thai hard men, mob, racketeers etc ask you for money from your business simply tell them you already pay for security from the police and you would be quite happy for them to speak with your police "friend" if they wish to pursue a percentage of the "wages" DO NOT PAY THEM.

:o If the police want some money from you, simply agree a monthly fee that you will pay them for "special security patrol" maybe B2000 - B4000 per month. if you go this way all you have to do is put a chart on the wall just outside the entrance which has to be signed by an officer every hour while the shop is open. Simple as that, many a bussines has this agreement with the police and you will find you have no problem. :D

Good answer Mango, but from what I understand in Chiang Mai...Police and local mafia are mates....or at least talk to each other. :o

The Chiang Mai Mafia is not what it once was after it's head became a Senator and his right-hand man, the enforcer, was sentenced to death recently.... Historically, police and military have always clashed, and rarely cooperated. Currently in Chiang Mai I don't believe there is any kind of organized Mafia- just the normal corruption antics of the cops... The Night Bazzar, for example, is run openly by the Tessabaan now, and the strong-arm military antics of old are long gone.

Also, the cops do have an optional 'security service' similar to what Mango described, but they sign in only twice per day, using the 'klong daeng' that you see outside many homes and a few businesses. No set fees, but 500 a month seems pretty standard around here...

Personally, I'm more concerned about the farang mafia from Pattaya moving to Chiang Mai....

Well just a quick q...what happens if gansters ask for Protection money from My internet shop???what should i do ??? or Police man comming up and ask for bribe because there is to many people in my cafe..and he says that its illegal gathering....can i open my cafe 24 hours ???

If not they will treathen my shops...

Who should i report to ?? Do i have any protection from the goverment???

I need to know thank you

That is just one of the reasons why I would never ever invest my hard-earned money in Thailand!

That is just one of the reasons why I would never ever invest my hard-earned money in Thailand!

:D There is a lot of good business opps in Thailand and a lot of money to be made, the fact is that you need to have a good understanding of the way things work here b4 you do business, you dont just come here for a 2 week holiday, fall in love, decide you want to live here, fly home and sell the house, wife and dog and then come back thinking you can be sucsesfull, if you do your home work and take things slowly, stay in control of everything the money is going on and direction the business is going then you are perfectly safe investing in Thailand. ask others on this forum there are many here who had good ideas and knew how to utilize them, and make alot of money here. every expat who does business here doesent open a bar in pattaya. :o