Shortages

Ijustwannateach

I've started to notice that even though there is demand, sometimes very high demand, for certain products- stores will not stock them reliably.

I like to use this Japanese shaving gel product- it's the only good value shaving gel I've seen in Thailand (i.e., squeeze out of a tube, not spray out of a can). Occasionally, it can be found at various Tesco/Carrefour type places- but it sells out almost immediately (I buy 3 or 4 myself when I see them) and then it seems like it's months before another tiny shelfload comes in. Why doesn't someone take advantage of the opportunity for more profit?

A friend of mine uses this large, professional-level photo printer for his work. It uses about 6 or 7 different ink cartridges, including 2 colors of blue, one of which is used up about twice as fast as the other. However, no one in any of the computer supply shops around Bangkok seems to have noticed this- they all just keep on ordering 20 or 30 units of each color blindly when they restock- furthermore, they seem disinclined to reorder any of the colors until MOST of them fall below a certain level. So while they have plenty of the average-use colors, the "special" blue remains sold out in most stores and frustrated printer users have to trudge from store to store hoarding their blue ink.

Any other stories like this? Is there any way to make the penny drop for whichever muppets have the authority to actually place orders?

"Steven"

invenotry management at the supermarket neaer me:

step 1 - buy truckloads of a product (ex- Chang Beer)

step 2 - put each and every bottle on display throughout the store - anywhere it will fit, even the dog food aisle

step 3 - wait until there is no more left

step 4 - wait another 2 days

step 5 - fill the empty shelves with fish sauce; but don't buy too much!! only one bottle deep for the length of a whole aisle

step 6 - wait another 2 days

step 7 - order more

step 8 - wait for the order and repeat steps 1 thru 7

Undoubtedly, some of these chain stores such as 7-11 and Tesco have computerized inventory systems which OUGHT to order the supplies automatically. My guess is that throughout Thailand and other developing, nearly-industralized countries like Mexico, the store managers don't trust the computer. So, they learn to override the order system and do it themselves. Problem is, Thais and Mexicans can't think logarithmically and alogarithmically, so they don't realize a change in rate, a sudden rush followed by a lull, etc.

I saw it happen with regular consumer goods in southern Mexico, also - but they were Western style items like Diet Coke and popcorn, so I can't be sure if it applies to things the local people buy on a steady basis.

I'll bet the Thai managers disable the computer's ordering system. Also, local people don't demand current availability like Western customers would demand it. They learned long ago to get by without a current supply, so they hoard at home, or make do with substitutes, without getting upset.

Very much agree with the comments.

I would have expected people like Tesco and Carrefour to insist on having experienced expat managers in their stores, to maintain their reputation. this happens in Saudi, where goods are usually available. Depends on the import restrictions and so on.

But here it seems that such jobs are reserved for Thais. So things will not improve. I have said before, some months ago in a similar thread, that small family-run shops, which rely on high turnover of popular items, do not give good training for running a major supermarket, where less popular items may stay on the shelves longer, but should give a better return and, simply by being there, draw in prospective customers for other goods.

For instance, if your Japanese shaving gel was known to be always available at Tesco store in On Nut (say), then that is where you are likely to go for other FMCG as well.