Don Muang - Train To International Terminal

cathyy

I am going to take the train from Nakon Ratchasima to Don Muang. I arrive at at Don Muang train station at 4:05AM, and I am supposed to be checking in for my 6AM flight at 4AM. I can use the Business Class check in (frequent flyer miles upgrade...woohoo!) so I should have enough time to catch my plane.

But how do I get from the train station to the International terminal? I know about the shuttle bus between the domestic and International terminals, and I KNOW I have seen a sign there in the International terminal for going to the train station. But what is the transportation method, how much does it cost, and where do I get on it? I don't have enough Thai to ask, and cannot absolutely count on someone knowing enough English at 4AM in a train station. :o

Cathy, the station and airport are on Vipawadi-Rangsit Rd, terminal on one side and the station directly opposite on the otherside. There's a footbridge that you can use for getting from one to the other. There is no need for transportation whatsoever.

I hope the train arrives at the station on time as you seem to be cutting it a bit fine. Overnight buses coming to BKK always pass the airport and will always stop there if passengers want to get off. Something to consider.

I can not find any train arriving at 04:05. There is a DRC with a scheduled arrival at 04:35 which starts travel in Udorn. If that is the train it may be close for you to be able to make your connection. Trains have a habit of being behind schedule arriving in Bangkok and even if on time it does not give you much time to haul bags up stairs/cross highways/check in/pay fee/clear immigration/get to gate. I trust you do not need a re-entry permit?

As long as you are at the check-in counter 60 min. b4 scheduled departure I see no problem. Business-class counters are not too crowded, immigration should not be busy 5:00 am.

You did not say which airline. If terminal 1, I believe that's where the footbridge leads to.

Luggage? As long as you can carry it and walk, 15 min from train station to counter is sufficient.

Most airlines want you there (at the counter not in the queue) 60 min, some like CX and SQ are happy with 40 min. But these two dept. often from gates 80....

which is a loooong way after immigration.

Should the train be on time, you even have a lot of time to enjoy a coffee in the lounge which comes with business class boarding pass.

If TG, they have separate immigration for C-class in terminal 1.

You can generally make an international flight out of BKK by showing up at the check-in counter 60 minutes before your flight. Not guaranteed of course, but I think you can. Maybe your luggage won't make it until the next flight - but you will.

The larger issue comes if the plane is overbooked, then it can be first come first served. But for some strange reason I have found flights out to be uncrowded - while flights in are packed. (somebody overstaying?)

The suggestion that the train will be late is a very likely situation. Maybe 30 minutes or so.

Whatever happens, don't give up - go directly to check-in. If too late they would be more understanding of what just happened to you (late train) and help you book another flight.

kenk3z

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I really appreciate it.

I'm flying out Northworst -er, Northwest - and I have entirely too much luggage as I brought one extra suitcase coming in filled with stuff that belonged to friends who live here and were flying in with me. I travel light, but they don't know how. I have carried a suitcase for them 2 of my 3 trips here! Maybe I can carry one bag inside another. I'm not taking more out than I brought in. Possibly a bit less. If the smaller carry-on fits into the other bag that will leave me with two 24 inch suitcases that hook together and have wheels, plus my unimaginably heavy laptop briefcase without wheels or a shoulder strap. :o

Between being able to use the business class check-in and it being so early I expect to be fine, even if the train is late. If not, I still have a day or two left on my entry permit and enough money to spend a night at a hotel. Possibly the Nana, although only heaven knows why I actually like the place. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you know how it went.

The train was maybe 5 or 10 minutes late. The pedestrian overpass is a ramp, not stairs. Bless whoever had the common sense to think of that! I had to hike over to terminal 2, but I was still in the check-in line by 4:30. It was crowded and slow, even in the Business Class line. I was on my way to my gate by 5AM. I stopped off for a quick bite to eat, as I hadn't eaten since 6PM the previous night. I was at my gate and boarding by 5:20.

I would definitely not recommend cutting it this close if you are not familiar with the BKK airport. However, the sleeping on the train and arriving at the airport refreshed concept rocked, and I'll do it again. I might want to take an earlier, slower train and get more sleep!

cathyy, tks for the feedback.

Don't take a slow train next time, chose an early flight like 4:00 pm or so. :o

I wish! I go to Detroit, and they always route me through Narita. Detroit is a Northwest hub, so getting any other carrier is next to impossible. I honestly think this is the ONLY Northwest outgoing flight to the US from BKK. But there are two different flights out of Narita, about 2 hours apart..