In Manila, How To Get A Thai Tourist Visa ?

I'm a Brit who was refused a tourist visa by the thai embassy in Manila last year on the grounds I couldn't prove sufficient funds for the trip, they wouldn't accept cash, trav chex, credit cards as proof.

Does anyone know exactly what they will accept as evidence of funds ?

Do I need to show them a thai bank book with say 100k baht in it ?

Obviously this is not an individual case. My Gf, a Filipina, tried to get a tourist visa in Cebu, Philippines last year. Same s....!

They didn't ask for money, but they let her know that she can be happy to get a 14 days tourist visa on arrival.

In Bangkok she got 30 days without any problems.

I'm a Brit who was refused a tourist visa by the thai embassy in Manila last year on the grounds I couldn't prove sufficient funds for the trip, they wouldn't accept cash, trav chex, credit cards as proof.

Does anyone know exactly what they will accept as evidence of funds ?

Do I need to show them a thai bank book with say 100k baht in it ?

Not sure what to say.

I suggest you write a polite letter to

Maj General Hemmeraj

Head of Immigration

Soi Suan Plu

Bangkok

asking the same question and giving details of when you were refused

If they wanted to see funds, and you had traveller Cheques etc, but they were refused, then something is wrong.

In tha past I have had similar problems at other embassy/consulates getting mult-entry Non-Imm O visa. After the letter there has been a reluctant apology from the embassy/consulate and an improvement in service.

If they wanted to see funds, and you had traveller Cheques etc, but they were refused, then something is wrong.

If it comes to the Philippines, palm grease will help.

My gf saw the $ signs in the eyes of the helpful staff. Just to ask: How much? but do it the Filipino way!!

So no-one reading has suceeded in getting a tourist visa issued in Manila ? I would have thought it a very popular place for visa runs.

I'll try the thai bank book and perhaps open a phillipino account as well this time round and see if that works.

Why don't you just fly in and take the 30 day on-arrival permit stamped in your passport? If you want to stay longer, do a visa run as required for more 30-day stamps.

No prior visa required. No bribe to any official.

kenk3z

Why don't you just fly in and take the 30 day on-arrival permit stamped in your passport? If you want to stay longer, do a visa run as required for more 30-day stamps.

Not very good advice these days with the various clamp downs in progress.

If you fly in with the idea of the 30-day permit, the probability is there will be no funds check. There is some discussion of funds checking on the land-border visa runs. I believe I read that was 10,000 Baht.

Manila probably isn't as popular for visa runs as the land borders. For an air trip visa runs I understand KL Malaysia and Singapore are popular.

You may simply be facing a situation there in Manila that is generally hostile to issuing tourist visas. If you have a UK passport in good standing, just fly in.

Just an opinion - your mileage (kilometerage) may vary. :o

kenk3z

I've no problem showing funds and of course using a 30 day on arrival is an option, however it seems a little silly to me that I can't get a single entry 60 day tourist visa issued in Manila.

Another country is not an option for me as I actually have to go to Manila for reasons other than just the visa.

Anyway I have a hunch the thai bank book will swing it for me this time.

I've no problem showing funds and of course using a 30 day on arrival is an option, however it seems a little silly to me that I can't get a single entry 60 day tourist visa issued in Manila.

Another country is not an option for me as I actually have to go to Manila for reasons other than just the visa.

Anyway I have a hunch the thai bank book will swing it for me this time.

Pressure is building for those on continuous 30 day visa's and the airlines are none too keen to carry you unless you hold either an outbound ticket or a visa.