What Banks Offer Foreign Currency Accounts To Foreigners Not Holding A Work Permit ?

I'm looking to move my foreign currency from Bangkok Bank to another bank. I was initially looking at Kasikorn Bank, but they said they would only open a foreign currency account if I had a work permit, which I don't.

Anyone have suggestions? :o

Last time I walked into my bank (Ayuthya) they offered me a $ account (interest paying) without me even asking, and without needing a visa. I think it's just a question of asking till you find a bank willing.

I'm looking to move my foreign currency from Bangkok Bank to another bank. I was initially looking at Kasikorn Bank, but they said they would only open a foreign currency account if I had a work permit, which I don't.

Anyone have suggestions? :D

:o Many years ago...at least 25...there was a Chase Manhatten Bank in Bangkok that offered a U.S. Dollars account accepting deposits and withdrawals in Dollars. It was open to U.S. citizens, and I think non-U.S. citizens...but NOT to Thais. I used to have an account, but their service was terrible. You had to pay a premium to convert Dollars into Baht. Now I'm not even sure if Chase still has a bank in Bangkok any longer.

Hi,

Don't have any but am interested.

I have a thai baht account in Kasikorn bank in Pattaya. They do REQUIRE a Work Permit for any foreign currency account. I asked for that in several Kasikorn agencies and other bank agencies here but did not find any that accept without Work Permit. :D

rainman,

suggest you try the hsbc in bangkok.

they are able to offer a range of foreign currency accounts, eg, us dollar, pound sterling euros etc.

of course if you are looking for something a bit more exotic you may have to try elsewhere.

you do not need a work permit to open an account with the hsbc.

rainman,

suggest you try the hsbc in bangkok.

they are able to offer a range of foreign currency accounts, eg, us dollar, pound sterling euros etc.

of course if you are looking for something a bit more exotic you may have to try elsewhere.

you do not need a work permit to open an account with the hsbc.

[/quote

i can confirm that you can have a foriegn currency account in HSBC bangkok i have a USD account as well as a thai baht account and you do not need a visa

Edited by LKIBA

Kasikorn is the easiest for just a normal Thai baht bank account but you know that already. For foreign currency, follow the above person's advice and go with a foreign-based bank like HSBC.

does HSBC bank in Thailand offer foreign currency account holders internet and telephone banking (in English)?

thanx

I agree HSBC have just one branch in Thailand and BLEED ITS CUSTOMERS DRY.

You cannot open a bank account and rules have really really tightened up!

You can open a passbook savings account (with international debit and cash point cards - for a small fee) - Having seriously researched this I would recommend The main office of Bangkok Bank. See this link for full details and indeed others woes...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...25#entry1735189

The link gives full instructions to open an account.

BTW if you are UK based and have a Nationwide cashpoint card you can draw money from one machine on the Nationwide card, put the cash in another machine and add it to your passbook savings account, then update your Bangkok Bank passbook savings account - WITH NO CHARGES AT ALL AND AT THE TRUE MARKET RATE WHOOPEEE!!!!!

<Edit>

Paying your bills from the savings account can now also be done. And BTW the Bangkok Bank cash point machine have the best English instructions and simplest instructions to access your cash irrespective of overseas or local.

Edited by pkrv