Importing A New Mustange Gt500 From Usa

rocky3

$60,000 , a bargain .

and yes you can import it for personal use or resale.

go for it i say.

.................. and let us know how you get on

i think you are entitled to a refund from thai customs when you import a car and that means you can get your Mustang free of charge (more or less) :o

I thought there were extreme import duty fee's when attempting to bring cars / bikes into Thailand?

Or I would ship my Harley here....anyone know the real rules on bikes? I have asked alot of people and the reply has always been,,,,forget it,,,,the duty will cost more than the bike...

I thought there were extreme import duty fee's when attempting to bring cars / bikes into Thailand?

Or I would ship my Harley here....anyone know the real rules on bikes? I have asked alot of people and the reply has always been,,,,forget it,,,,the duty will cost more than the bike...

importing the bike is not a problem, however for it to clear customs and to be legal on the roads in thailand, it must be fitted with a honda wave engine, this is to meet the co2 emission reqiurements and also to satisfy the noise abatement regulations that were put in place to allow humble dwellers to be able to sleep at night. this followed years of complaints from those who suffered at the hands of wannabees racing up and down quiet sois roaring engines and pulling wheelies.biggrin.gif

jeff, you are off course correct.

OK .

Other than as a personal import of a vehicle you've already owned for several years (3 I think), which you're then not allowed to sell (for I believe two more years), you're not even allowed to import used vehicles.

Add in that the import duties + tax on the Mustang (which would be in the largest engine segment) would be something like 180% of the cost of the car (and not your cost - ie. $114K added to your $60K, but what customs think it would have cost, so if customs think the car is an $80K car, then the tax would be $144K). Basically, unless you REALLY REALLY want to drive one, and have money to burn, it's just not worth the hassle.

There is a semi-loophole, but also requires you to basically have money to burn, where you buy a house in Malaysia under the "My second home" program. I believe you can then import the car to Malaysia with far less tax involved, and that would let you drive it in Thailand up to 6 months each year (or 6 months at a time - not certain). - i.e. You get 6 months use of the car in Thailand each year, and the saving in tax probably covers most of the cost of the house in Malaysia (which you're allowed to own in your own name).

Edit: If the Thailand-US FTA has been ratified, the import duties would be dropped by, I think, about a quarter, so that import duties + vehicle taxes may drop to "only" 150%.

(There's a reason why countries like Thailand seem to export a lot more cars than they import - at least from outside ASEAN where there are limits on the tax that can be charged)

Edited by bkk_mike

To the original poster: we joked about your idea, because a week never passes here without somebody asking if they can bring in their 1951 Vincent Black Shadow, their Bugatti, their Zundapp 50 cc bike, their one-off Ferrari, their great aunt's Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire saloon, their XK-E, their drunken uncle's drag-racing Funny Car....or 48 kinds of Harleys and imitations. But there could be a loophole for Aero-Macchi Harley Davidson 250's. :o

Then I guess I will have to buy a new honda accord V6 for 2.88M Baht or a little more than $90K. I can get the same car in Ca for $27.8K the only differance is that it's built in the USA not Thailand. Why such a mark-up when this car is built here?

I believe there is a high tax on cars with larger engines. "Why" is a more difficult question to answer here. It just is.

We barely mentioned that a wide Mustang is too big for most highways and sois; the gasoline costs over $4 per gallon; left hand drive is a real safety hazard; how would you keep in insured and free from the curious onlookers.....the list goes on.

Then I guess I will have to buy a new honda accord V6 for 2.88M Baht or a little more than $90K. I can get the same car in Ca for $27.8K the only differance is that it's built in the USA not Thailand. Why such a mark-up when this car is built here?

i have no idea from where you got that price as i paid 1.6 million Baht for a new top Accord model (V6, 3L, 230 HP two years ago). have prices gone up that much? :o

^^^^^^ you'll notice the same rather large price jump when you go from the Camry 2.4 to the 3.5 litre version. Gotta love thai taxes....

To the OP: Do it! Give it a shot, after all, why live if you can't live? :o

To help clarify the meaning behind many of the responses.

Is it possible? YES everything and anything is possible!!

Is it feasible NO NO NO NO

Get the meaning

Regards ible :o

Edited by mijan24

i have no idea from where you got that price as i paid 1.6 million Baht for a new top Accord model (V6, 3L, 230 HP two years ago). have prices gone up that much?

post-566-1208158010_thumb.jpg

OOPS! had no idea that a 3.5L model exists. anyway, even 230 HP are too much for those thai pothole roads :o

^^^^^^^^^^ it's ok, Naam. I don't think there was a 3.5 litre version when you bought your car. The 3.5L version is for the "New" New Accord, I'm assuming you have the "Old New Accord."

i haven't driven the car in months, that's why i don't know whether our Accord is old or new :o going for a haircut once a month i drive our Jazz.

I believe there is a high tax on cars with larger engines. "Why" is a more difficult question to answer here. It just is.

We barely mentioned that a wide Mustang is too big for most highways and sois; the gasoline costs over $4 per gallon; left hand drive is a real safety hazard; how would you keep in insured and free from the curious onlookers.....the list goes on.

Not everybody like to drive a boring Honda or Toyota. Not everybody like to wear the sme watch, some peaple using casio and some peaple using rolex. BTW a Mustang is not bigger than a Fortuner, but a Mustang is Fun! The gasoline cost is not a problem for somone who can afford it. Some peaple drive a V8 and some other Peaple spending theyr money for 5 kids or two wifes and 3 houses, wihch he can not own in his name. Where is here the problem? I think everybody should have the freedom to choice what he want.

Yeah, that might answer the question "Why taxes are so high?" - for people who insist on choices.

Two years ago 3l Accord was a steal by Thai standards, now it's gone and the new, 3.5l engine, is in the next tax bracket.

I can get a new 2008 Mustang GT500 for about $60k. Can I import it for personel use or resale? It will be left hand drive.
A Thai lawyer once confided in me and said " in Thailand its not can it be done, its how much will it cost "

when we were worried whether we might be able to import our belongings (most of them on the banned list) we were told "it's the size of the brown envelope that counts". it turned out later we worried for peanuts.

I can get a new 2008 Mustang GT500 for about $60k. Can I import it for personel use or resale? It will be left hand drive.
Best route would be to go down to customs and talk to one of the chiefs. Tell then you're going to buy 2 with 1 being given to customs charity fund.

yo dude, it seems to me, your looking for monster power cars, well a mucle car, having a ford mustang here, esspecially the gt500, would be a bitch. first for tax, second parts, third servicing, plus im not sure how many garages beside exotics specalist who would be able to work on the suppercharged v8.

why dont u just buy a rear wheel drive, make an engine swap, rims, brakes, body it would cost you like half the price of the accord, and ull wont be getting a fwd 3Lv6 220-240hp, with so much dead weight.

you can buy a 2nd hand bmw, for about 1.2million, year 2000....swap the engine, to a 2jz (supra twin turbo 3.5L inline 6 twin turbo) ranked at 280-320, 1jz 2.5L inline 6 single huge turbo rated at about 280-320.. or even a 1uz, (v8 engine from the landcrusier) producing about 250hp. all these engines have great potential esspecially the 1jz or 2jz, they can handle 600(WHP) on the stock internals. so buying the engine for about 70,000...., another 70,000-100,000 to make it 600whp and reliable..... it would def be quicker then the ford mustang gt500.

anyways mate, this way you can make sure u get the best buck for the speed.

anyways atleast bmw parts, (you can go for mercs, toyotas, nissan etc just chose a rear wheel drive) all have radily parts available, and concidering how many people do the swaps, its popular, thus garages have experince with working with these engines and the swaps into different chassis cars.

anyways just giving u some options.