Importing A New Mustange Gt500 From Usa

rocky3

There is a semi-loophole, but also requires you to basically have money to burn, where you buy a house in Malaysia under the "My second home" program. I believe you can then import the car to Malaysia with far less tax involved, and that would let you drive it in Thailand up to 6 months each year (or 6 months at a time - not certain). - i.e. You get 6 months use of the car in Thailand each year, and the saving in tax probably covers most of the cost of the house in Malaysia (which you're allowed to own in your own name).

This is substantially correct. I know because I have just done it.

The ‘MM2H’ scheme is excellent. You can bring in one car totally tax and duty free. The only stipulation is that it needs to be a car you already own on the date your visa is approved.

I have just landed a rather nice motor in KL, and was amazed that the scheme did all it said it would: no brown envelopes were indicated at any time. Total tax bill zero. No tips; no tea money; zero.

There is no need to buy a house in Malaysia, but you can buy up to two under the scheme if you want, with freehold title, secured under robust property laws based on the British system. There is no gains tax on disposal of the properties. There is no tax levied on remitted offshore income.

The visa allows a stay of ten years.

I will drive the car to Phuket occasionally. Is the allowance definitely six months? This I don’t know about. Has anyone else actually kept a Malaysian-registered car long-term in Thailand?