Rotten Chicken Meat At Friendship And Villa

Jingthing

OK, this is getting annoying. Its not so much the wasted money as the time and energy to go shopping and then coming home and finding the meat I just bought is rotten. I don't mean rotten the next day. I mean rotten the moment I get it home!

OK, I have been buying my meat at Friendship. The last time I went I bought chicken meat from their meat counter it was seriously rotten. The trouble is it looked fine visually and you can't smell it because it is packed for you from behind a counter. So we are supposed to trust them. Well, now this is second time this has happened there, so I no longer trust them.

As an experiment, I tried buying some chicken at Villa (about 25 percent more expensive) and this time I tried their packed in plastic chicken meat which clearly shows dates of packing and last sell date. I bought two packs both dated packed the same day. Interestingly, one package was OK and the other was starting to rot, not as bad as the rotten meat from Friendship but still not usable.

So, chicken lovers, what is your luck with these and other markets? I guess I will try Tops, but Carrefour and Tesco aren't convenient for me. Maybe this rotten meat problem is an off season problem with these markets? Not that there is any excuse for it, there is none.

Edited by Jingthing

Did you go home right after the shopping? I'm guessing it might be the super heat we're experiencing at the moment if you have to leave your shopping bag in the car for a while.

It's a big drag isn't it you think you can trust those well-established malls but you can't really. We usually eat out all the time we think we can trust some restaurants that we see many people eating but we still get sick sometimes. I actually gave a thought about home cooking but now hearing from you that this actually happened it kinda scares me off hehehehe

How about Big C??? Maybe at Big C they will let you choose the pieces and sniff them before handing them to the staff to wrap?

OK, this is getting annoying. Its not so much the wasted money as the time and energy to go shopping and then coming home and finding the meat I just bought is rotten. I don't mean rotten the next day. I mean rotten the moment I get it home!

OK, I have been buying my meat at Friendship. The last time I went I bought chicken meat from their meat counter it was seriously rotten. The trouble is it looked fine visually and you can't smell it because it is packed for you from behind a counter. So we are supposed to trust them. Well, now this is second time this has happened there, so I no longer trust them.

As an experiment, I tried buying some chicken at Villa (about 25 percent more expensive) and this time I tried their packed in plastic chicken meat which clearly shows dates of packing and last sell date. I bought two packs both dated packed the same day. Interestingly, one package was OK and the other was starting to rot, not as bad as the rotten meat from Friendship but still not usable.

So, chicken lovers, what is your luck with these and other markets? I guess I will try Tops, but Carrefour and Tesco aren't convenient for me. Maybe this rotten meat problem is an off season problem with these markets? Not that there is any excuse for it, there is none.

I buy chicken every day usually at big c as this is the place closest to my home but also at tesco or carrefour.I only buy packed chicken if it was packed the same day but i got rotten chicken many times.The problem is that the packing date doesn't mean anything in thailand,it can be behind the counter for many days before they pack it you never know.Just take a look around and you will know that a thai doesn't have any knowledge or maybe interest about hygeine.

I frequently buy the packaged chicken fillets, legs and wings at Foodland and so far have never struck a bad lot (in 2 years). I always make sure that I get it home asap and usually freeze it.

As my shopping excursions are often consisting of several shops/markets, and thus can take a while, and the fact my car is black and resembles an oven if left more the 3.5 minutes in the sun, I now always have a cooler box with a couple of those blue containers which you pre-cool in the freezer at home inside.

Must say I've never had rotten meat yet, but buy most of it either in foodland or Best food at the Dolphin round about, although at the latter mainly canned stuff etc.

Same happened to me some months ago with TOPS here in Phuket.

What the did not know that I am a HACCP trained Chef, so I asked for all the documentation for delivery, exp. date etc.

In the end it was very embarrasing for them and they gave me a big basket with free food and my money back.

Gerd

Same happened to me some months ago with TOPS here in Phuket.

What the did not know that I am a HACCP trained Chef, so I asked for all the documentation for delivery, exp. date etc.

In the end it was very embarrasing for them and they gave me a big basket with free food and my money back.

Gerd

Nicely done!

Foodland, Carrefour and the local Pong market are our main sources for fresh meat, and we've never had anything go off. We never buy pre packaged meat, and the wife looks at it closely before purchasing.

Always take a cool box with you.

I frequently buy the packaged chicken fillets, legs and wings at Foodland and so far have never struck a bad lot (in 2 years). I always make sure that I get it home asap and usually freeze it.

i totally agree with you ive been here 6 years and foodland is the best quality at the best price there pork and chicken are very consistent and there hyigene there is very good but whatever you do in pattaya dont buy from the salad bars ive seen some people putting there hands in there and having a free mixed salad god knows where there hands have just been :o

Edited by LKIBA

Foodland, Carrefour and the local Pong market are our main sources for fresh meat, and we've never had anything go off. We never buy pre packaged meat, and the wife looks at it closely before purchasing.

Always take a cool box with you.

As I said in the other thread, I had twice rotten meat (pork) at Carrefour but at Foodland never any issues and I buy there most of my meat for a long time.

Same as you, I never buy anything pre-packed as I suspect this to be the stuff they have to get rid of.

Same as you, I never buy anything pre-packed as I suspect this to be the stuff they have to get rid of.

I only buy the pre-packaged chicken at Foodland and check to make sure I'm buying on the day it was packed. They only give 2 days on the chicken.

I fail to see how it's more of a risk than the stuff in the display cabinets.

Edited by tropo

I only buy the pre-packaged chicken at Foodland and check to make sure I'm buying on the day it was packed. They only give 2 days on the chicken.

good to know, and as I said, I only suspect and didn't want to find out the hard way...

good to know, and as I said, I only suspect and didn't want to find out the hard way...

I thought that they chop the chickens up out the back from the main refrigerator and package it immediately whereas the stuff in the display cabinets is more open and sits around longer. I don't know for sure...maybe they package the leftover from the cabinets?

Either way I've never had a bad batch.

Me too!

Foodland, prepackaged meats for 11 years. Never a bad piece.

I start to see a pattern here, so I shall remain at Foodland.

I have done the occational purchase at several of the other good stores mentioned, and never had a problem there either.

The coolerbox is a good idea, if you cannot go straight home with the groceries. But usually I plan it so that Foodland is my last stop before going home, or at least put the stuff inside the car in aircon.

I thought that they chop the chickens up out the back from the main refrigerator and package it immediately whereas the stuff in the display cabinets is more open and sits around longer. I don't know for sure...maybe they package the leftover from the cabinets?

At Villa, I personally witnessed the meat man take the chicken from the display case and package it in plastic. This is what I bought, and like I said, one package was OK, one was off. As this was the first time I shopped at Villa, and I stupidly assumed paying their higher prices for the same thing meant I would be at least be getting fresh meat, that was the last time!

Someone asked if I stored the meat in my car. No, I always go directly home after buying something perishable like raw meat.

In fairness, I only got rotten meat two times from Friendship in two years, so overall not such a bad track record compared to some of the other reports.

I am sure most any market would offer a refund if you came back soon enough and stuck it in their face, but I really can't be bothered with such a petty chore, so I really want to get it right the first time (when I buy it).

Sounds like there are alot of Foodland fans, good for Foodland.

At Villa, I personally witnessed the meat man take the chicken from the display case and package it in plastic. This is what I bought, and like I said, one package was OK, one was off. As this was the first time I shopped at Villa, and I stupidly assumed paying their higher prices for the same thing meant I would be at least be getting fresh meat, that was the last time!

Someone asked if I stored the meat in my car. No, I always go directly home after buying something perishable like raw meat.

In fairness, I only got rotten meat two times from Friendship in two years, so overall not such a bad track record compared to some of the other reports.

Not a criticsm, JT but just maybe the store could benefit by you reporting it and they can take steps to ensure their foodstuff is fit for consumption ( prior to leaving the store ) and keep an eye on genuine sell by dates. and making sure they do not repackage the contents, also it helps if they put a responsible date on the packages.

If they do not then they obviously loose their customers, and deservedly so.

No Excuses Villa, you are ultimately responsible for the quality of your products, as purchased. :D

As they are sponsors on T.Visa, perhaps they can comment and offer assurances they will take steps to address this important health risk.

I am sure most any market would offer a refund if you came back soon enough and stuck it in their face, but I really can't be bothered with such a petty chore, so I really want to get it right the first time (when I buy it).

At the present time, your loss looks like Foodlands gain :o

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

I'll join the que for Foodland since the early 80's.

How old is Foodland? It seems like a relatively new store. I would never have guessed it was here way back in the early 80's.

Foodland Pattaya opened in 1989, in fact I was one of their first customers.

cheers

onzestan

Yep, was under construction (or in planning stage) when I came the first time here early '89.

Wattana computer store opposite foodland must be there way over 10 years now!

They were the only computershop in the early 90's, that time located on second road between soi 7 an 8 if I recall correctly. I reckon they moved to their current location mid 90's!

Hmmm, what else I recall from my early days as an expat here... Building of Royal Garden Plaza, with the first proper movie theaters in Pattaya located on the top floor. A bit later came Big C north Pattaya, the first Pattaya Hypermart (or whatever these things are called). Followed as could be expected by Lotus South Pattaya...

I think back then (before Big C/Lotus) we had to buy our TV's or stereo's in a shop on the corner of Beach road and Soi Pattayaland 1 or 2, pretty sure it was a Numchai, or go down to Naklua... Nope, on one of the higher floors in Mike's shopping Plaze was a very active home electronics sections as well!

Haa, and the first internet cafe was opened by a French bloke in Walking street, just past Linda's, with big metallic robots outside... 2 or 300 Baht/hour :o

Aaah, how some rotten chicken can bring back memories :D

---- sorry for going off topic, those memories got the better of me :D -----

Whenever I go to Villa the first thing I notice is that the checkout girls are never busy. I think the higher prices may deter many customers with the result that the meat turnover is not as quick as it might be.

I'll join the que for Foodland since the early 80's.

How old is Foodland? It seems like a relatively new store. I would never have guessed it was here way back in the early 80's.

Foodland Pattaya opened in 1989, in fact I was one of their first customers.

cheers

onzestan

I stand corrected. Thanks.

I have been in and out so much, working in Saudi, that the years tend to run together.

Come to think of it, I worked and lived in BKK in 1989. The first time I went to Foodland was a weekend golf trip for some of us from BKK. We stayed at Siam Country Club and bought some snacks at Foodland to take back out there. We had a nice little picnic that evening.

Rotten chicken meat does bring back some fond memories.

Rotten meat in this heat?

Quite understandable.

Careful where you buy, if possible put in a insulating bag, smell at home and cook immediately!

Rotten meat in this heat?

Quite understandable.

Careful where you buy, if possible put in a insulating bag, smell at home and cook immediately!

The heat is in the indoor market?

Come on, I have said I took it right home (at night, not in the hot sun), and it was already rotten.

Stop making excuses for these shoddy business practices.

Both of these stores have staff who specialize in meat, day in, day out. They know what is rotten meat. Are you suggesting they don't know, have not been instructed by management, to move the meat, no matter what?

Edited by Jingthing