New Honda Accord Vs Bmw 330i 2003

Mobi

Congrats with your BMW, very good choiche!

I have a 2004 330I (sports packaage, M Package and some race exhaust) and everytime I take her for a ride there is this big smile on my face, ha ha ha!

Nowadays from what I hear about importing cars from example from Germany to Holland there is a loophole which makes it very attractive.

What lot's of people do is they go to Germany, buy a young second hand car and have some agent/company estimate the value of the car.

When you import the car you only have to pay tax over the estimated value.

Needless to say that the estimate is much lower then was actually payed, still it comes out cheaper compared to buying 2nd hand in homecountry in most cases.

Cheers all,

Alex

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys stop whining about UK prices, BMW 320D in UK £26,050 - on the road

If you look on the German web site, the 2008 new BMW 320D works out in UK £ at 20,899 on the road.... so £5,500 cheaper than the same car but with RHD in the UK.

QUOTE (ignis @ 2008-04-26 15:01:03) post_snapback.gifThat is not 100% true here, if you lose 300 - 500,000 in 3 year on a Luxury Car, you always have a new car that has warentee and Free Service etc = trouble and worry free motoring

Can't quite follow. Could you clarify your point?

Re keeping an expensive car till as you put it - it falls to bits. [Friend was paying around 150,000 baht per year on repairs/service etc on a 8 yr old BMW]

Edited by ignis

I once flipped through an auto magazine brought by some tourists and there was a long article on how import cars into the UK and save tons of money. They didn't mention Denmark, they talked about German cars and I suppose they wanted to import them from Germany.

I have no idea how much 5 series cost ten years ago, but ALL imported cars shot up after 1997, not only 3 series.

Yes importing German cars into the UK yourself has been a common practice for a long time as a way of saving money, but of course they are left-hand drive so not really ideal. Anyway, not sure how all of that is relevant to what we are talking about.

As far as what you say about ALL imported cars shooting up after 1997, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 3 series completely assembled right here in Thailand?

Re keeping an expensive car till as you put it - it falls to bits. [Friend was paying around 150,000 baht per year on repairs/service etc on a 8 yr old BMW]

Ok i see. But i was in no way advocating people keep their cars until they fall apart, i was just saying that the only sensible reason for anyone to say they didn't care about depreciation is if they have no intention of ever selling it.

Guys stop whining about UK prices, BMW 320D in UK £26,050 - on the road

Same car in Denmark £55.447,

UK has the highest prices in Europe, get a life

As I said in my earlier post it would all depend on the specs, which can add a lot to the cost of a BMW. I have bought 2 Beemers new in the UK, and although the original price seemed reasonable, by the time you have added a modest amount of extras, which in other cars would be standard, the price has jumped up a lot.

In Thailand the 320D has full specs - same as a 330i, as it is different market, and also, I guess as the cars are assembled here in Rayong, it makes life easier if there are pretty much standard specs. My gut feeling is that a 320D in the UK with similar specs to the Thai model would sell at around 30K pounds - but who knows? I may be wrong.

Anyway, for me the argument is now academic as I have placed my order, but argue on, if you feel like it :o

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 3 series completely assembled right here in Thailand?

Correct. All parts manufactured in Germany and assembled in Rayong.

BTW no parts are made specifically for the Asian market. Even the windscreen wipers and indicators are on the "wrong" side of the steering column.

Edited by Mobi

....if you lose 300 - 500,000 in 3 year on a Luxury Car, you always have a new car that has warentee and Free Service etc = trouble and worry free motoring

That's exactly correct, except I expect it depreciate 500-600,000 over 3 years not one year, as explained in an earlier post. I may be wrong - time will tell.

I have a 2004 330I (sports packaage, M Package and some race exhaust) and everytime I take her for a ride there is this big smile on my face, ha ha ha!

Alex, did you have the sports package put on by BMW when you bought it, or did you have it done after buying the car, through an independent company in Bangkok?

The difference in cost seems to be considerable, so I am trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks

...correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 3 series completely assembled right here in Thailand?

There's a special tax category for assembly from imported parts CKD or something, it's below imported price but still significantly higher than cars with lots of local content.

Like the new C-class - initially it was import, now they launched locally assembled version. Price has gone down by at least half a million but still in sub 3mil range.

Only Japanese invested in local part plants, Germans don't give a fuc_k, hence the huge price difference between Accord and 3 series that is non-existent in the UK.

...correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 3 series completely assembled right here in Thailand?

There's a special tax category for assembly from imported parts CKD or something, it's below imported price but still significantly higher than cars with lots of local content.

Like the new C-class - initially it was import, now they launched locally assembled version. Price has gone down by at least half a million but still in sub 3mil range.

Only Japanese invested in local part plants, Germans don't give a fuc_k, hence the huge price difference between Accord and 3 series that is non-existent in the UK.

I will be very happy with my German built machine, without any local manufactured parts :o

I'm sure my good friend Mr Nam would approve :D

In this day and age not being able to produce equally good parts in another country is a serious problem for any manufacturer. Germans don't care, as I said. They get enough ripping off a few fat cats and are not concerned over things like dwindling market share or brand image dillution.

They are lucky their shareholders don't have time to worry about small markets like Thailand.

But when Japs want to reduce import taxes on their comparable luxury makes, Germans are all up in arms, their comfortable life in tropics suddenly looks threatened by competition.

Thanks to Japanese Thailand has become one of the major world auto manufacturers and auto industry is top export earner. What have we got to thank Germans for?

fuc_k them

In this day and age not being able to produce equally good parts in another country is a serious problem for any manufacturer. Germans don't care, as I said. They get enough ripping off a few fat cats and are not concerned over things like dwindling market share or brand image dillution.

They are lucky their shareholders don't have time to worry about small markets like Thailand.

But when Japs want to reduce import taxes on their comparable luxury makes, Germans are all up in arms, their comfortable life in tropics suddenly looks threatened by competition.

Thanks to Japanese Thailand has become one of the major world auto manufacturers and auto industry is top export earner. What have we got to thank Germans for?

fuc_k them

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you don't like the Germans very much :o

Not the ones running auto companies here.

I'm VERY partial to German beer.

Generally I think Germans and French get a lot of undeserved flak, but those cun_ts that sell us overpriced, underspecced cars are a different story.

320d though rocks in every respect.

I think anyone who lives a bit off the beaten trail should consider a vehicle with a little more road clearance. A car may be rugged enough but there are just too many road hazards for me to feel comfortable driving a car.

That's the main reason I drive my Toyota Sportsrider. Living in Pattaya, I need the extra clearance and leaf-suspension for the potholes and the occasional flooded roads during torrential rains. Nothing beats driving on through a flooded road with the water up to the running-board and all the people in cars having to wait or turn around :o

Like the CRV, the Captiva is build on a car frame I believe. Therefore, it drives and rides much more like a car than the truck based Toyota SUVs. The Captiva is a nice looking SUV...makes sense as though it is sold in Thailand under the Chevrolet brand (crap American GM brand) it is actually designed by GM's Aussie/European Opel devision. Therefore, it has more a German influenced engineering heritage.

I was checking BMW's Thai website and don't see the 320d listed???

Parts made in Germany...good...slapped together in Rayong...bad :D

I hope you are happy with your decision...but still don't see where you will get the use of such a nice car in and around Pattaya. I guess you will get to Bangkok and back faster than the rest of us however :o

As others have mentioned, you will always be worried about somebody an a motorcycle putting a ding or scratch in it. No matter how careful you are, it's bound to happen (more than once) in 3 years.

I could see it if Thailand had autobahns like Germany but spending that kind of money on a high-performance car in Thailand is just subcoming to the Bling factor, whether you have the money or not. As I have posted elsewhere, a car is just a box with 4 wheels that contains about 150,000 miles in it. Just make sure to have the windows tinted dark so the police will think its a hi-so Thai speeding and ignoring traffic rules...otherwise they'll surely hike up your road use fees.

Alex, did you have the sports package put on by BMW when you bought it, or did you have it done after buying the car, through an independent company in Bangkok?

The difference in cost seems to be considerable, so I am trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks

No I bought it 2nd hand a few months ago and it was like that, thats why I bought it, it looks so sporty and different then the standard.

It is very funny everywhere I park ( outside on the street) people walk back and have a look at it.

In the beginning I really had to get used to the bit stiff suspension but now I feel OK.

Altough I think I would not choose it when driving on very bumpy roads with lots of potholes.

Then the standard suspension is better.

Anyway lot's of good roads in Thailand so I really have fun and enjoy driving a lot (again).

Please post a snap when you have it!

Cheers,

Alex

I hope you are happy with your decision...but still don't see where you will get the use of such a nice car in and around Pattaya. I guess you will get to Bangkok and back faster than the rest of us however :o

As others have mentioned, you will always be worried about somebody an a motorcycle putting a ding or scratch in it. No matter how careful you are, it's bound to happen (more than once) in 3 years.

I could see it if Thailand had autobahns like Germany but spending that kind of money on a high-performance car in Thailand is just subcoming to the Bling factor, whether you have the money or not. As I have posted elsewhere, a car is just a box with 4 wheels that contains about 150,000 miles in it. Just make sure to have the windows tinted dark so the police will think its a hi-so Thai speeding and ignoring traffic rules...otherwise they'll surely hike up your road use fees.

You are very fond of this "bling factor' business, and you can't seem to understand that some people might have a greater appreciation of good quality motors than you do, and enjoy driving them, just for the sheer pleasure of it.

The 320D is not on their website as it's only been out since March, and they haven't updated their site yet. This is a brand new model for Thailand, and it's selling like hot cakes.

Where do you get the idea that it's 'slapped together in Rayong". That seems to suggest that all Thai produced auto mobiles are "slapped together". If I know anything about the Germans I would bet their assembly plant out-does the Japanese in quality control. You surely don't think they have a bunch of locals running things down there do you? (Incidentally, GM/Chevrolet also have their plant in Rayong - so is all their stuff 'slapped together' as well?

I don't know about you, but I do a lot of driving all over Thailand - from the North to Issan to Central and Southern Thailand, and I would say that a vast majority of the main roads that I have encountered are of acceptable quality and I will immensely enjoy the touring experience on future trips. I will be shortly be replacing my wife's Jazz with a CRV and will use that for the rougher journeys.

All your hostility over my preferred choice of car seems to suggest that there may be just a teeny weeny bit of envy creeping in here. :D

Enjoy your Darkside meals in your Sports rider - maybe you should trade it in for a Captiva that has been "slapped together" in Rayong :D

People spend big baht for a Rolex watch when they could buy a cheap Timex that keeps just as good of time. You really can't put a figure on pride of ownership. Go for it Mobi and enjoy your ride.

Mobi, at least owning a Beemer in Thailand you will be in exclusive company!!

Compare this to the amount of Black Fortuna's/Isuzu's/Vigo's (4x4 & Pre-runners) that you see on the roads. Thai's especially seem to think that Black is the 'in' colour.

post-44176-1209260775_thumb.png

You are very fond of this "bling factor' business, and you can't seem to understand that some people might have a greater appreciation of good quality motors than you do, and enjoy driving them, just for the sheer pleasure of it.

The 320D is not on their website as it's only been out since March, and they haven't updated their site yet. This is a brand new model for Thailand, and it's selling like hot cakes.

Where do you get the idea that it's 'slapped together in Rayong". That seems to suggest that all Thai produced auto mobiles are "slapped together". If I know anything about the Germans I would bet their assembly plant out-does the Japanese in quality control. You surely don't think they have a bunch of locals running things down there do you? (Incidentally, GM/Chevrolet also have their plant in Rayong - so is all their stuff 'slapped together' as well?

I don't know about you, but I do a lot of driving all over Thailand - from the North to Issan to Central and Southern Thailand, and I would say that a vast majority of the main roads that I have encountered are of acceptable quality and I will immensely enjoy the touring experience on future trips. I will be shortly be replacing my wife's Jazz with a CRV and will use that for the rougher journeys.

All your hostility over my preferred choice of car seems to suggest that there may be just a teeny weeny bit of envy creeping in here. :D

Enjoy your Darkside meals in your Sports rider - maybe you should trade it in for a Captiva that has been "slapped together" in Rayong :D

Plus the BMW's paint is slapped on at the Volvo's facilities! But who cares... I love my BMW!

I too appreciate true quality and value but I also don't like getting hosed (except during Songkran). Maybe you will agree that there is often little relation between price and quality, and especially value.

When it comes to spending money, I guess the world just breaks down into two types of people...those that like to spend money on expensive items to make themselves feel better/important or fill some other emotional need (like the guy who gets a kick that Thai people (probably most of whom will never even own a car) stop to admire his BMW as they are walking to the bus stop...WHATEVER) and those who are not emotionally needy and don't have an urge to "flash their cash" for all to see. I have friends who buy Rolex watches and the latest N-series Nokia phones when they come out (and they don't even know how to use half the features). I mean, do people even know that Rolex makes MILLIONS of their watches PER YEAR and that they are machine made (not some old expert Swiss watchmaker assembling it by hand) and that the watch movements costs just a few dollars! If people have been persuaded that these watches are "exclusive" items worth US$ 5000+ fine. I am happy Roles, and all the other luxury goods makers of Europe , have perfected this con on the public as it keeps the Franc and Euro strong and my European stocks up :o For me, my few hundred dollar Seiko or Citizen keeps me on time for my appointments and I can call or message anyone I want on my B 3000 phone.

The primary reason to choose one car over another is better safety, reliability, and comfort. If, in your considered judgment, the BMW 320d (B 2.85M) is twice as safe, as reliable, and as comfortable as the mid-line Accord 2.4EL (B 1.5M) then you have made a wise purchase decision. With watches, any US$ 200-300 one will keep time as accurately (often better) than a US$ 30,000 Patek Philippe. Any money over the 300 is not to more accurately know the time (the purpose of buying one in the first place) but for flash or Bling factor. Same for cars, anything more expensive than a Camry or Accord is for flash.

I know we are "not back home" so such price comparisons are not really relevant to Thailand but they do give us some perspective. BMW does not sell a 3-series diesel in the USA but as a point of comparison, the MOST EXPENSIVE 3-series sedan is the 335xi (which, with the higher numerical designation, I would suspect is a higher spec model than a 320) is sold for about B 1.3M (about half). I don't know how this comparison would look in your UK market. At least for an American, even the locally assembled BMWs are rediciously expensive. This does not even consider that fact that one pays a super-premium in price for Thai assembly quality. I cannot point to any authoritative sources but my hunch would be that German assembled BMWs (as well as Japanese assembled Camrys and Accords) would score higher in quality than their Thai equilivents.

Even the Thai made Accord 2.4EL at B 1.5M is expensive (and it doesn't even have a heater). This is for a high-spec 4 cylinder model that in the US would cost about B 800K (again about half). The top spec Thai Accord V6 is a whopping B 2.9M (imported I guess and large engine taxes) and in the US it sells for B 930K or 1/3rd the price!

When it comes to spending money, I guess the world just breaks down into two types of people...those that like to spend money on expensive items to make themselves feel better/important or fill some other emotional need (like the guy who gets a kick that Thai people (probably most of whom will never even own a car) stop to admire his BMW as they are walking to the bus stop...WHATEVER) and those who are not emotionally needy and don't have an urge to "flash their cash" for all to see. I have friends who buy Rolex watches and the latest N-series Nokia phones when they come out (and they don't even know how to use half the features). I mean, do people even know that Rolex makes MILLIONS of their watches PER YEAR and that they are machine made (not some old expert Swiss watchmaker assembling it by hand) and that the watch movements costs just a few dollars! If people have been persuaded that these watches are "exclusive" items worth US$ 5000+ fine. I am happy Roles, and all the other luxury goods makers of Europe , have perfected this con on the public as it keeps the Franc and Euro strong and my European stocks up :D For me, my few hundred dollar Seiko or Citizen keeps me on time for my appointments and I can call or message anyone I want on my B 3000 phone.

You really do have a "bee in your bonnet" about this - almost to the point of obsessiveness.

It irks you that some people like to spend money on nice things and enjoy them, and are not going to go through life thinking: "How much I can save if I buy this cheaper model/brand, rather than the one I really like?"

You seem determined to denigrate people who buy top of the range products and accuse them of base/questionable motives:

(jonniebkk @ 2008-04-22 16:56:02) post_snapback.gifThe problem with most "luxury" spending is that it is done by people who can't really afford it - whether it be flash cars, Luise Vietton purses, or Armani suits. Most of these people are trying to live a lifestyle (prompted by advertising and the media in general) that they can't really afford.

If it makes them happy - what the heck? The demise of poor Mark yesterday has reminded us all of our fragile mortality, and having reached the ripe old age of 61, I plan to enjoy what time I have left on this planet, and I'm certainly not concerned about how I can make 100,000 from 10,0000 by buying a Toyota rather than a BMW, because I did that for 40 years and it's now time to enjoy life. :D

We obviously will never agree on this, so in the interest of Dark side solidarity, I suggest we call a truce.

What say you? :o

You really do have a "bee in your bonnet" about this - almost to the point of obsessiveness.

It irks you that some people like to spend money on nice things and enjoy them, and are not going to go through life thinking: "How much I can save if I buy this cheaper model/brand, rather than the one I really like?"

You seem determined to denigrate people who buy top of the range products and accuse them of base/questionable motives:

(jonniebkk @ 2008-04-22 16:56:02) post_snapback.gifThe problem with most "luxury" spending is that it is done by people who can't really afford it - whether it be flash cars, Luise Vietton purses, or Armani suits. Most of these people are trying to live a lifestyle (prompted by advertising and the media in general) that they can't really afford.

If it makes them happy - what the heck? The demise of poor Mark yesterday has reminded us all of our fragile mortality, and having reached the ripe old age of 61, I plan to enjoy what time I have left on this planet, and I'm certainly not concerned about how I can make 100,000 from 10,0000 by buying a Toyota rather than a BMW, because I did that for 40 years and it's now time to enjoy life. :D

We obviously will never agree on this, so in the interest of Dark side solidarity, I suggest we call a truce.

Better in my bonnet than somewhere else :D

I have no wish to be argumentative but being an ex member of the bar, sometimes I can't help myself :D

Really, I am just more curious as to how you went about making your purchasing decision. You started out looking at supremely practical Thai models (Accord, Camry, and Captiva) but ended up deciding on a rather impractical one. As you plan to purchase a CRV, I guess it doesn't matter for as you say, you will have both bases covered. I don't argue with the premise that BMW does make high-quality cars and if I was living in the US I would consider purchasing one. However, neither of us is living "back home" at the moment so we are stuck with Thai pricing...as I pointed out, even the Thai Accord is 2x it's Stateside cost.

One way to justify spending extra on a car in LOS is that we save so much on the cost of housing. A US$ 1M home in the US, which where I am from, the SF Bay Area, buys little more that a shack in some places, would cost maybe $250-300K (or 1/3) as much to build anywhere but in Bangkok. Even Bangkok CBD condos are half the price. So why not spend some of that savings on cars...we're still saving allot of money overall.

As I have said before, plenty of unhappy rich guys in the grave. I am more than happy to accept your offer of a truce...just don't kick too much dust in my face as you speed on by me on the motorway :D

AHH, a group hug. Great idea. Sometimes people forget that you can't take it with you. There are no luggage racks on a hearse. Mobi can enjoy a BMW or leave the money in the bank which is no fun at all.

When it comes to spending money, I guess the world just breaks down into two types of people...those that like to spend money on expensive items to make themselves feel better/important or fill some other emotional need (like the guy who gets a kick that Thai people (probably most of whom will never even own a car) stop to admire his BMW as they are walking to the bus stop...WHATEVER) and those who are not emotionally needy and don't have an urge to "flash their cash" for all to see. I have friends who buy Rolex watches and the latest N-series Nokia phones when they come out (and they don't even know how to use half the features). I mean, do people even know that Rolex makes MILLIONS of their watches PER YEAR and that they are machine made (not some old expert Swiss watchmaker assembling it by hand) and that the watch movements costs just a few dollars! If people have been persuaded that these watches are "exclusive" items worth US$ 5000+ fine. I am happy Roles, and all the other luxury goods makers of Europe , have perfected this con on the public as it keeps the Franc and Euro strong and my European stocks up :D For me, my few hundred dollar Seiko or Citizen keeps me on time for my appointments and I can call or message anyone I want on my B 3000 phone.

Congratulations Mobi!

May i say that you will have a good grin on your face on the way home after picking up your new car in June :D :D

What i can`t understand is the flaming by some members for your purchase. I got the same flame from friends when i bought mine in december, but did i care? Heck not! It`s my money, my decision and my life.

Having owned a total of 17 beemers during my 46 years, i guess someone would call it an obsession.... :D :D

Yes Mobi, welcome to the Bimmer enthousiasts club.

Just enjoy life and enjoy the things you like.

Some people collect stamps, coins or paintings, whatever....

I bought my bimmer because it looks very different then the standard version and it drives awesome.

Yes people do look at my car and that just confirms that I made the right choice, not for showing off.

Driving my car just relieves my stress while working in Asia.

Maybe you think I am crazy but I am a car fanatic.

Peace ya all!

Alex

I have found a good forum for BMW fanatics, bimmerforums.c o m.

Pretty impressive for finding out about anything you need to know, although it does not really help much if you are in LOS, but it's cool to see some of the rides.

Welcome to the club Mobi, hope to show you what I have done to mine tomorrow.

Hello Jonniebkk :o

BMW does not sell a 3-series diesel in the USA but as a point of comparison, the MOST EXPENSIVE 3-series sedan is the 335xi (which, with the higher numerical designation, I would suspect is a higher spec model than a 320) is sold for about B 1.3M (about half). I don't know how this comparison would look in your UK market.

1.3 M Thb are aprox. 41300,- USD.

41300,- USD are aprox. 26500,- Euro

In Germany a 335i sedan cost naked! 41300,- EURO !

plus X package 2600,- Euro

plus Steptronic 2160,- Euro

If you want the M Sport package it is another 3250,- Euro ( it is only so cheap with the 330i and 335i, the other suckers have to pay 4210,- Euro)

+ 2600 x-package

+ 2160 Steptronic (auto)

+ 3250 M-Package

---------

49310, - Euro

For a car without! leather seats. If you want these too, you can decide between Dakota leather or Merino. Merino is available for just 6310, - Euro. The cheaper Dakota version is still 2190, - Euro.

I am pretty sure, if they sell the car in the US leather is already included, so you can add another 2190, - Euro to the price above. That’s a total of 51500, - Euro.

51500 Euro are aprox. 80200, - USD

I hadn't thought that German are cars sooo cheap in the US. Looks like BMW really want to sell cars in the States, despite the low Dollar --> Euro exchange rate, well it is a big market.

My point is, if people in Germany pay more then 50.000 Euro for a 3er Sedan, and if you ever been there you know there are quit a few BMW`s on the street, it can not be all about the bling factor.

The bling factor of a BMW 335ix in Munich is equivalent to your 200, - USD Seiko? in the local Starbucks - nonexistent, but still people buy these cars in Germany.

Maybe it is just for the fun that you can have, if you drive such an automobile and not to make an impression on other people.

Little bit OT but anyway:

I do have two dogs. One is a French Bulldog, aprox. 10 kg and the other dog is a Chihuahua 2.20 kg. If I take the Chihuahua for a walk and we see other dogs of his size, he is very calm and friendly. If we meet anything bigger then a Jack Russell he gets very agitated, barks and snarls his teeth. The bigger dogs usually give a shit about his silly behavior (thank god), but still I wonder why only the small dog is so aggressive if it comes to dogs that are larger then him? The French Bulldog even plays with Rottweilers.

Maybe I should consult a dog psychiatrist, his constantly barking during walks is quit annoying.

PS:

I drive a Toyota in Thailand, because I don`t have the cash or creditworthiness :D to drive a Mercedes or BMW.

Attachment: BMW Germany PDF price list 3er series sedan

3_LI_pricelist.pdf

Hello Jonniebkk :D
BMW does not sell a 3-series diesel in the USA but as a point of comparison, the MOST EXPENSIVE 3-series sedan is the 335xi (which, with the higher numerical designation, I would suspect is a higher spec model than a 320) is sold for about B 1.3M (about half). I don't know how this comparison would look in your UK market.

1.3 M Thb are aprox. 41300,- USD.

41300,- USD are aprox. 26500,- Euro

In Germany a 335i sedan cost naked! 41300,- EURO !

My point is, if people in Germany pay more then 50.000 Euro for a 3er Sedan, and if you ever been there you know there are quit a few BMW`s on the street, it can not be all about the bling factor.

Maybe it is just for the fun that you can have, if you drive such an automobile and not to make an impression on other people.

PS:

I drive a Toyota in Thailand, because I don`t have the cash or creditworthiness :D to drive a Mercedes or BMW.

I understand you points about the price of the BMW seeming not so expensive if you are from Europe. For whatever reason (taxes mostly I would guess) BMWs are almost double the cost in America. In developed Western economies, with much higher levels of income, even at the European prices, these cars would not necessarily be considered luxury items.

Certainly there isn't much bling factor in a car in Europe that costs about let's say 1 years salary for a working class person E 41300)...I was primarily referring to them being a status symbol in the Thai market. In the Thai market, a B 3M car would be equal to about 5 years salary . :D

In Europe, especially Germany, with its Autobahn, there would certainly be practical reasons for buying a high-performance automobile. In Thailand, I just don't see the need. This is just a personal opinion, however, as I consider cars a mainly practical means of transportation. I know many guys consider their cars more like "best friends" and such and so want the best friend they can afford and treat it with tender loving care. One guy in my moobaan washes his Fortuner EVERY DAY (Thai guy of course :o ) I probably spend my money on things others consider stupid...like my 700 movie DVD collection (originals, not copies).

Like you I drive a Honda and a Toyota...not because I can't afford a BMW but because there are still lots of more DVDs I want to add to my collection :D