Americans In Thailand

ralphie

I have no problems being an American among other nationalities, as long as I make it clear that I am one of the sane ones (in other words, against our current junta for reasons better discussed in another forum). Then I am welcomed.

Most Americans are also nice, feeling the same way I do. It's the ones who live abroad and yet still somehow manage to be rabidly in favor of the Iraq debacle, etc., that I steer clear of much in the manner of one avoiding a mad dog.

"Steven"

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems being an American among other nationalities, as long as I make it clear that I am one of the sane ones (in other words, against our current junta for reasons better discussed in another forum). Then I am welcomed.

Most Americans are also nice, feeling the same way I do. It's the ones who live abroad and yet still somehow manage to be rabidly in favor of the Iraq debacle, etc., that I steer clear of much in the manner of one avoiding a mad dog.

"Steven"

Hmmmmm. So if I don't feel the same way you do, I am not a "nice" American (and maybe even "mad"). Just having a little trouble agreeing with that one.

Most Americans I've met are nice, period, as well as many other nationalities. Exceptions to every rule....of course.

i dont think the perceived "problems" with americans are to do with their politics , its more to do with their attitude to the rest of the world, they seem to think that everybody wants to be american and cant understand why anybody wouldnt.

the brits have problems with their image abroad, as do the russians and as do most nationalities , but the americans have always seemed to me to be the politest and the most genial and generous in spite of their dress sense,dental overkill, sense of superiority,the bossiness of their women,weight problems,irritating competitiveness,lack of taste in automobiles and food, addiction to luxury,inability to adapt,etc.etc.etc.etc. :o

but if i were walking down a dark street late at night and i saw a bunch of people coming towards me i would hope that they were americans rather than scumbag eurotrash.

i am british and sometimes wish i could disappear into a hole in the ground when i see the appalling behaviour of a lot of my fellow countrymen and women both at home and abroad.

but if i were walking down a dark street late at night and i saw a bunch of people coming towards me i would hope that they were americans rather than scumbag eurotrash.

Yep, the Yanks are more friendly and sometimes more naive but agree re. the dark alley! :o

i dont think the perceived "problems" with americans are to do with their politics , its more to do with their attitude to the rest of the world, they seem to think that everybody wants to be american and cant understand why anybody wouldnt.
It's these kinds of mass generalizations that often annoy me, and make reasonable communication much more difficult, in my experience...
i am british and sometimes wish i could disappear into a hole in the ground when i see the appalling behaviour of a lot of my fellow countrymen and women both at home and abroad.

I've certainly had the same feeling, but I don't think of them as my fellow countrymen. I just think of them as pricks, and sometimes I feel angry at them for giving any Thais and other people who think in terms of 'groups' more ammunition to feel hostile towards farangs in general, or particular countries, skin colours, hair length, etc....

I may be naive here...(a naive Thai-American?), but why so much hostilities toward my fellow countrymen? I love this country (and Thailand) and have had many opportunities opened for me, hence my American pride.

Anyways, why do we have so much problems with illegal immigrants "dying" to get here? (human smuggling...people crossing the borders...asylum seeklers)? ###### yeah, it the opportunities.

I honestly think that if you're GENERALLY insulting Americans, you're insulting people from all nationalities/countries (esp. the countries some posters are from).

Ok, so if I'm missing the BIG picture then maybe it's because I'm a generation X-er?

Peace out. :o

The "N+Y" logo  ( see my Avatar ) is a secret symbol that is only known to other Americans ( who are into Baseball, more or less ) , so  they know where I'm from off the "bat".....  :o

The N+Y is one of the best known logos in the world. Synonyms with Yankees, NYC and USA my friend. You may as well wear an Uncle Sam hat.

Posted from Morris Ave., Bronx NYC, US Capitol, World Capitol, Capital Capitol

I have no problems being an American among other nationalities, as long as I make it clear that I am one of the sane ones (in other words, against our current junta for reasons better discussed in another forum).  Then I am welcomed.

Most Americans are also nice, feeling the same way I do.  It's the ones who live abroad and yet still somehow manage to be rabidly in favor of the Iraq debacle, etc., that I steer clear of much in the manner of one avoiding a mad dog.

"Steven"

Hmmmmm. So if I don't feel the same way you do, I am not a "nice" American (and maybe even "mad"). Just having a little trouble agreeing with that one.

Most Americans I've met are nice, period, as well as many other nationalities. Exceptions to every rule....of course.

I must say this is an example of the generic Politically Correct response you get nowadays from the politically correct unintelligencia.

They criticize a generalization and then the next words out of their mouth are ... you guessed it.... a generalization.

The N+Y is one of the best known logos in the world. Synonyms with Yankees, NYC and USA my friend. You may as well wear an Uncle Sam hat.

Posted from Morris Ave., Bronx NYC, US Capitol, World Capitol, Capital Capitol

Need i say more? Have a nice day...

Cheers Mango. :o

whoever 'mango' is he should take said fruit and put it in the appropriate place.

<deleted> you pal...

Superb eloquence Mr T

:D

:D Do you ever post a proper paragraph? or do you just post these useless one liners all the time? a smiley here a smiley ther, that will get my post count up :o

whoever 'mango' is he should take said fruit and put it in the appropriate place.

<deleted> you pal...

Superb eloquence Mr T

:D Do you ever post a proper paragraph? or do you just post these useless one liners all the time? a smiley here a smiley ther, that will get my post count up :o

You hit the nail right on the head Mango.

A smiley here and there , gives me a rocket on.

:wub:

-_-

That's a paragraph for me... :D

so many people like nothing more than to see there names on a forum and means the ones of us that wnat to read about the topic have to scroll thru their nonsense.

get a life guys

I am american and proud of it. Live in a moslem community here in Phuket and have no troubles at all.

Americans are loved everywhere they travel ( I have visited over 100 countries) although the policy is not liked as much for sure.

so many people like nothing more than to see there names on a forum and means the ones of us that wnat to read about the topic have to scroll thru their nonsense.

get a life guys

I am american and proud of it. Live in a moslem community here in Phuket and have no troubles at all. 

Americans are loved everywhere they travel ( I have visited over 100 countries) although the policy is not liked as much for sure.

Fair play to you then mate , but let us lesser mortals have our simple titilation with seeing our names up in lights eh?

What was this thread about again?

:o

Mr T.  He was American, wasn't he? 

That's B.A Barracas to you fool!

:D:D:wub:

Quality

So you did understand it then Santini? Good for you. Mate. :o

Ice Man, understand what?

Im confused now! :(

Phucket Richard, the topic facilitates American bashing. Observed it numerous times on this forum. At the mere mention of the US all kinds of crap usually surfaces. Your an easy target for some.

Im not interested in an individuals birth place. Attitude is far more important. Besides, i couldnt tell the difference between an American and a Canadian -_-

I see quite a few Americans here but I don't really notice the "herding" thing much with them. They seem to be able to adapt to different lifestyles (melting pot syndrome) pretty easily for the most part. That, of course, is a generalization as I am sure that there are plenty Americans traveling abroad that are afraid to get off the beaten path so to speak. I have noticed, however, some of the other nationalities seem prone to "herding".

:o:D

:D:):D

:D:wub:

-_- Coffee!!! :(