Asp.net

Flummoxed

Its a system user, usually created when dotnet is installed on your PC. A little strange that you got it after installing some printer drivers. Normally its only created when the microsoft dotnet framework is installed on your machine.

Have you been installing anything else recently?

No... also, it rather strangely activated the 'Ask for password on resume' feature on the screensaver :o . It's definately the printer software that did it. Also, I have to click on my name to logon whereas before it just booted straight to my desktop.

I can't understand why it would make these changes.

To be safe, disable the asp.net user account.

The user is created by microsoft dotnet framework to allow the asp.net worker process to run on your system, if your not into/doing any dotnet development then it doesnt need to be there. Its probably better to disable the user account as opposed to deleteing it, because if its deleted then it can be recreated.

Might be worth scanning your PC for viruses/spyware/malware whilst your at it, as this is all very strange.

You should not delete/disable this account. Certain .NET processes run under its context on the platform (not just in dev). There should be no security issues... actually this account is specially set up to limit the rights of application threads and processes.

You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine.

By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.

It is possible to recreate the user by issuing the following command from the run dialog (changing the framework version number as appropriate)

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

Also...

Windows includes a feature that allows you to configure the computer to automatically logon to the network, bypassing the Winlogon dialog box.

Open the registry editor

Navigate to the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

Add a new string value named 'DefaultUserName' and set it to the username you wish to automatically logon as.

Add a new string value named 'DefaultPassword' and set this to the password for the user entered above.

Add a new string value named 'DefaultDomainName' and set this to the domain of the user. Ignore this value if the NT box is not participating in NT Domain security.

Add a new string value named 'AutoAdminLogon' and set it to either '1' to enable auto logon or '0' to disable it.

Exit and restart, Windows should not ask for a password and automatically show the desktop of the user.

Note: The password is stored in registry, which means anyone who has access to the machine has access to the password.