Singapore Field Trip Report

I am a 50 year old American, living in Asia, wishing to get a retirement visa.

I arrived at the Thai Embassy in Singapore today around 9:30, and waited about 20 minutes for my turn.

After giving the woman - friendly and helpful, by the way - the form, passport, and photo, she asked to see my bank account with a minimum of B 800,000. I told her I had not yet opened an account in Thailand.

She said proof of any account in any currency, the equivalent of B 800,000, was sufficient for the Non Imm. "O" visa. She then added having B 800,000 in a bank in Thailand was only required when I apply for the retirement visa itself.

I went back to the hotel, made a photo copy of my most recent bank statement, and went back to the Embassy. Within 10 minutes, she gave me a receipt to bring back Tuesday at 2:00PM for the visa pick up.

The visa is a single entry Non Imm "O" visa, costing 80 Sing dollars, or just under B 2,000. I asked for a multiple entry version of the visa, but was told this was not available. She did not ask to see any travel documents.

I'll update tomorrow when I pick up the visa.

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier questions.

The visa is a single entry Non Imm "O" visa, costing 80 Sing dollars, or just under B 2,000. I asked for a multiple entry version of the visa, but was told this was not available. She did not ask to see any travel documents.

For how long is the visa valid?

I remember obtaining a visa from the Thai Embassy in Singapore a few years ago (2001). The application was based upon me being married to a Thai. I could obtain a single entry non-immigrant 'O' visa valid for 3 months (S$ 46.00) or a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' valid for 12 months (S$ 96.00). The entry stamp issued at Don Muang was 90 days in both cases.

This visa is the same as your 2001 visa Jaye; albeit for a different purpose, and the conditions are the same now as then. This guy needs to sort out his banking in Thailand, and apply to extend the visa within 90 days of the date of issue.

Wrong word doc. Date of arrival not issue. :D:o

After giving the woman - friendly and helpful, by the way - the form, passport, and photo, she asked to see my bank account with a minimum of B 800,000. I told her I had not yet opened an account in Thailand.

She said proof of any account in any currency, the equivalent of B 800,000, was sufficient for the Non Imm. "O" visa. She then added having B 800,000 in a bank in Thailand was only required when I apply for the retirement visa itself.

Well there is a new interpretation of the rules, having to prove you have the equivalent of 800,000 baht before you get a Non Imm O visa.

With that documentation I would have expected him to get the 12 month retirement visa up front.

But the Embassy in Singapore has always paddled their own boat.

Edited by astral

Astral,

No way he would have get the retiremnet visa upfront with that documentation.

Please check [email protected]

Those are the instructions for the embassies.

btw I just got the message from the Jakarta embassy that I will receive my non-immigrant O-A multiple (for retirement purpose).

I will collect my passport this Friday.Could have collected it already to-day if wished,but I cannot be in Jakarta earlier.

Will keep you informed

Ok Dutch, it would take a few more documents, but

wasn't the embassy premature is asking to see proof of money?

That should come 3 months later when he wants the one year extension.

Has anyone else been asked this question when applying for a

Non Imm O visa?

Edited by astral

Ok Dutch, it would take a few more documents, but

wasn't the embassy premature is asking to see proof of money?

That should come 3 months later when he wants the one year extension.

Has anyone else been asked this question when applying for a

Non Imm O visa?

I believe this is the normal procedure for non immigrant visa issue as for business it is a letter, for marriage a certificate and for retirement proof of funds (in any bank account). You then get the 90 day stay to transfer the money.

The other O-A is another kettle of fish. :o

This visa is the same as your 2001 visa Jaye; albeit for a different purpose, and the conditions are the same now as then. This guy needs to sort out his banking in Thailand, and apply to extend the visa within 90 days of the date of issue.

Wrong word doc. Date of arrival not issue. :D:D

and I can't use the drink as an excuse. Yhat was yesterday Lop. :o

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

To Jayenram: Yes, the visa is 90 day single entry. Sorry I forgot to add that detail in my initial post.

To Astral: I was surprised as well when she asked for the proof of B 800,000. But she only said that after asking the purpose of the "O" visa. I said "retirement", then she told me.

Lucky for me she said the money could currently be anywhere in the world. And lucky I was able to print a copy of my US Citibank account.

I guess they figure if you can't show the money before you get to Thailand, how will you be able to get money there once you arrive.

Also, I specifically asked if I could get the retirement visa in SIngapore if the money had been in a Thai bank. She said retirement visas are only given at MFA in Bkk or the home country of your passport.

Once again, I wonder what surprises are in store for me tomorrow when I go to collect the visa.

Twin

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

To Jayenram: Yes, the visa is 90 day single entry. Sorry I forgot to add that detail in my initial post.

To Astral: I was surprised as well when she asked for the proof of B 800,000. But she only said that after asking the purpose of the "O" visa. I said "retirement", then she told me.

Lucky for me she said the money could currently be anywhere in the world. And lucky I was able to print a copy of my US Citibank account.

I guess they figure if you can't show the money before you get to Thailand, how will you be able to get money there once you arrive.

Also, I specifically asked if I could get the retirement visa in SIngapore if the money had been in a Thai bank. She said retirement visas are only given at MFA in Bkk or the home country of your passport.

Once again, I wonder what surprises are in store for me tomorrow when I go to collect the visa.

Twin

No surprises. Betcha :o

Good question, and hopefully they will figure out that people can have money even if the money don`t stay in "Bank of Thailand".

Good question, and hopefully they will figure out that people can have money even if the money don`t stay in "Bank of Thailand".

Don't forget the pauper farangs that live on beer and rice. Plenty of 'em are really on the financial edge.

So I went back to the Thai Embassy at 2:00PM today to pick up my visa.

No lines, no waiting, and a very friendly woman behind the counter.

I handed her my receipt and she handed me my passport with a bright, shiny new Thailand Non Immigrant "B" visa.

Luckily, I looked at it before I left. I went back to the counter and explained it was supposed to be an "O" visa. She asked me what the purpose was and when I told her it was to prepare for a retirement visa, she remembered me. She took my passport back and asked me to wait a few minutes.

Within 5 minutes she called me back to the window and gave me the corrected version. Apparently, she actually removed the previous sticker altogther. I was expecting to see a "CANCELLED" stamp on the original one and a new one entered.

All in all, I guess the process went fairly easily. I will keep you posted on how things go in BKK for the conversion to a retirement visa.

By the way, the visa expires on 11 January, 2005. So I guess it is based on the date of issue, not the date of arrival.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

Twin

So I went back to the Thai Embassy at 2:00PM today to pick up my visa.

No lines, no waiting, and a very friendly woman behind the counter.

I handed her my receipt and she handed me my passport with a bright, shiny new Thailand Non Immigrant "B" visa.

Luckily, I looked at it before I left. I went back to the counter and explained it was supposed to be an "O" visa. She asked me what the purpose was and when I told her it was to prepare for a retirement visa, she remembered me. She took my passport back and asked me to wait a few minutes.

Within 5 minutes she called me back to the window and gave me the corrected version. Apparently, she actually removed the previous sticker altogther. I was expecting to see a "CANCELLED" stamp on the original one and a new one entered.

All in all, I guess the process went fairly easily. I will keep you posted on how things go in BKK for the conversion to a retirement visa.

By the way, the visa expires on 11 January, 2005. So I guess it is based on the date of issue, not the date of arrival.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

Twin

Almost error free. :o

The visa is only used to enter Thailand and then it is dead and you have 90 days to do that. On the date you enter Thailand you will receive a 90 day stay stamp. Even if you enter on New Years day you will have 90 days from then. Before that time is up you have to make your application for extension of stay. Date of arrival if the key. 90 days from date of arrival.