Trading Investing In Overseas Market

I assume many people in Thailand have various investments in their home country. Some may more actively manage them then others. Let's say you are on a Non Imm Research visa (just a theoretical example) and are doing legitimate research for 10 years. Would there be any problem funding your stay in Thailand by generating your income by trading stocks online during this time? Would this be considered working in Thailand and require a work permit?

I assume many people in Thailand have various investments in their home country. Some may more actively manage them then others. Let's say you are on a Non Imm Research visa (just a theoretical example) and are doing legitimate research for 10 years. Would there be any problem funding your stay in Thailand by generating your income by trading stocks online during this time? Would this be considered working in Thailand and require a work permit?

No, there is no WP required unless - and there I am not sure about - you play thai stocks via a thai broker.

No, there is no WP required unless - and there I am not sure about - you play thai stocks via a thai broker.

No I'm talking about American stocks via an American broker. Thanks for your answer.

Are you investing your own money, and earning a return on it? Or is someone paying you to invest their's? I think technically it makes a difference.

If you're just earning a return on your own money, then no work permit is needed. But if you're earning an income by living in Thailand and investing other people's money, you personally require a work permit and need to be registered with the authorities, and your company requires a securities license.

Whether or not this gets enforced is another issue of course.

It's my understanding that where the stocks are located aren't of importance in this equation (Thailand, US, offshore, etc)--but where you are located is.