Mag Wheels - Best Place To Buy

Where in Bangkok do locals buy mag wheels to dress up their cars?

I'm not talking about the ultra expensive stuff that you can buy in huge showrooms...

Is there like an area which is known for selling car accessories and mag wheels, with a choice of both locally made and imported?

And also a choice of 2nd hand used and brand new?

Also, if buying second hand, what should you look out for to make sure you're not buying one in bad condition?

:o

I'm not talking about the ultra expensive stuff that you can buy in huge showrooms...

Is there like an area which is known for selling car accessories and mag wheels, with a choice of both locally made and imported?

Also, if buying second hand, what should you look out for to make sure you're not buying one in bad condition?

:D

If you fancy a drive to pattaya ill show you a lot, what car do you have and whats your budget ? :o

post-41326-1208326062_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1208326137_thumb.jpg

Wheels are, like, fairly important in helping you keep the shiney side up and the greasy side down. We almost lost an expat in the north a few years back when a fancy mag wheel on his 'new 2nd hand' BMW just collapsed as he drove in a straight line at 120kph. Despite being a very good driver he could not avoid a tree and almost lost his right foot.

Soon after buying a 2nd hand Suzuki with fancy wheels I took it to the main Goodyear shop in Chiang Mai for 2 new tyres. I asked if the wheels were 'real' Suzuki options. The answer was Yes, but they had been fitted using standard wheel nuts which had the wrong taper on them. Bloody dangerous!

Here in Thailand I would only buy original car manufacturers' optional wheels sold by franchised dealers, or a top class Japanese make such as Enkei. Read some enthusiast magazines to get the names. Then pray you are not buying cheap local copies..................

Theres no such thing as cheap wheels. Do you have any idea about offset, taper etc etc. Especially here where things companies have little liability.

Wheels and tiers are the most important piece of kit on your car. They make the contact with the road! They provide the grip, and most importantly the fell of the car through your ass.

Never settle for a cheap option with either. Buy an expensive brand name, and when buying it, make sure that it is the genuine article.

I tend to concur with earlier replies, whether buying a new or used set: stick with a known brand.

If a new set is beyond the budget you've set, consider buying online, at a site such as www.thaisecondhand.com (unless you can read Thai, you may need someone to interpret for you). If buying used, look very closely for cracks, signs of welding, discoloration and metal deterioration. You should be able to tell if the owner has taken care of the wheels. There's a lot of inventory out there, so take your time to find a good set.

There are several areas in BKK where car shops have congregated. One of the most convenient is between Chula Sois 12 and 32. For service, I like the Car Boutique wheel shop on the corner of Chula Soi 22. They sell second-hand sets along with new.

Give you a example in Pattaya: i sold my BMW 318 a couple years ago. New owner fitted the car with BBS alloy wheel (Copy) and ne wheel screws (Tose BM's don't use wheel nuts) Later on the afternoon i received a phonecall from the new owner. All screws an d the rearside was broken in half when he droves to Rayong. One wheel came off. No accident, he could mange to stop the car on the side of the road. I couln'd help him, it wasn't my fault, so i told him to go and see a local tireshop to replace the bolts and drive back to Pattaya and i would go with him to check it, when he back. He was agree. After one hour he called me again and told me the wheels are back on the car, but he couldn't start the car anymore. So i couldn't understand what's the problem. So i drove my other car to Rayong, and found the BMW on the roadside, directly to a policebox and even two cops arround the car. After a couple minutes i found out the fuelpump don't work anymore. I had already a rought idea, what happen. So i asked the mecanic who changed the bolts, where did he jacked the car up. And he schowed me where, rear rightside under the tank. The thank was dented in. So he din't know what i was thinking. I removed the rear seat of the BM and open the cover to the fuel pump an saw the fuelpump was destroyd, because the mechanic jacked the car on the wrong place. Of corse he denied that he damaged the fuel pump and the two cops laught at me and told me, that this mecanic only fix old Pick up Trucks and don't have any expirience with BMW. This was all, 3'000 Baht for towing car back to Pattaya, 6'500 Baht for a new fuelpump, dent the tank out and another couple hundert for labour, almost 10k damaged by a stupid mecanic. TIT, of corse mecanic don't pay, and don't have any money.

Anyway be careful whit local wheels bolts and screws. But another thing, if you buy import, it will be made in China. That's the maby the worster Hollywoood scenario with all the side effects, what could happen

Is there a "respectable" local brand which makes band new mags for a lower cost than imported ones?

(on which you can just add the emblem of your car brand, say, BMW)

I can recommend lenso wheels. www.lensowheel.com I've had my set of 17" for 2 years now and they are still in perfect condition - no corrosion or blemishes (apart from the odd scuff against the curb). I'm pretty fussy though, and keep them clean all the time.

After one month my wife hit a pothole at 80km/h - tore a hole in the side of my tire and dented (not shattered) the rim. It was easy enough to fix. Thye are pretty strong, anyway. Mine were 4500 baht each, so they are relatively sheap compared to imported wheels. Thailand also exports these wheels overseas.

I can recommend lenso wheels. www.lensowheel.com I've had my set of 17" for 2 years now and they are still in perfect condition - no corrosion or blemishes (apart from the odd scuff against the curb). I'm pretty fussy though, and keep them clean all the time.

After one month my wife hit a pothole at 80km/h - tore a hole in the side of my tire and dented (not shattered) the rim. It was easy enough to fix. Thye are pretty strong, anyway. Mine were 4500 baht each, so they are relatively sheap compared to imported wheels. Thailand also exports these wheels overseas.

Man, they are nice!!! :D

Thanks for the reco. :o

Thanks for the reco. :o

No problems. Most shops would stock them, but you might have to unt around for the ones you like. I guess you could also contact the company and give them the code for the ones you like.

These are mine (hope it shows up!)

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

Edited by culicine

Thanks for the reco. :D

No problems. Most shops would stock them, but you might have to unt around for the ones you like. I guess you could also contact the company and give them the code for the ones you like.

These are mine (hope it shows up!)

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

Nice!

I also like 5-spoke mags... they're very classic and cool.

I don't like the overly fancy designs.

So far, I'm eyeing the CFE, GC2, VPD, MG, and maybe LS-GT.

Since these ones are all my type, I'll get whichever is cheapest among them.

Which ones are cheaper? Is pricing based on the product code or something? :o

The wheels I looked at were a variety of brands and were all much the same price (4000-5000 for 17"). It will depend more on the size I guess, so it's best to ask at the wheel shop. They will have a list of prices.

Lenso is a very good recommendation. I went with a brand called AF. At Car Boutique, which has 2 shops behind Chula (sois 12 and 22) and a couple more elsewhere in Bangkok, they had a promotion carrying past the Motor Show and they have a wide choice of wheels (e.g. Lenso, AF, etc.) with tires (Yokohama, Toyo or Dunlop) for <30,000 total. You may be interested in checking if they are still running their promotion. Depending on what you have now, they may even buy your existing set and credit you the same amount on your purchase. That's what they did for me.

I'm actually in the market for some new wheels as well. I don't want the fillings in my teeth to be rattled out though. If I change to 18 or 20 inch will I notice a huge difference when going over a bump in the road?

I currently have the standard wheel / tyre on the car (Hilux Vigo - 265/70R16)

I'm actually in the market for some new wheels as well. I don't want the fillings in my teeth to be rattled out though. If I change to 18 or 20 inch will I notice a huge difference when going over a bump in the road?

I currently have the standard wheel / tyre on the car (Hilux Vigo - 265/70R16)

If you fancy a drive to pattaya ill show you a lot, what car do you have and whats your budget ? :D

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I'm purely a Bangkokian... (for now) :o

Just a thought...

Can one buy locking wheelnuts in LOS? I mean, if you buy a nice new set of alloys for your car, there's a pretty good chance that Somchai's going to like them too. You'll come out in the morning and your car will be up on bricks.

Where do you think they get second hand mags in mint condition?

Seriously, if that ever happens, it's rare.

Rare? Why? I agree that, compared to the Philippines, Thailand is pretty law-abiding but then, most places are, compared to there. If locking wheelnuts are unavailable here, then it could well be right and there is just no demand.

Anyone ever seen them for sale here?

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the standard wheels on my Colorado with someting a bit different, probably up to 19" or 20". Would I be right in saying that the larger, low-profile tyres would be more expensive than the standard 245/70 R16s? And, presumably, they'd be harder to find as well. Anyone here done the same sort of thing?

hey micksterbs....

i havent done the same on my triton, but i have changed rims size and tyre size for my previous car.

first off, the lower profile would be more expensive, not to menation the size upgrade if you get 19 or 20's.

btw the thicker the rubber, the softer the ride will be. so have 20's/...with size 40....would make your ride a hel_l of alot stiffer then 18''s with 55....or65....

I've looked around for locking lugs, but not exhaustively. However, I haven't liked what lugs I've seen on offer and none of them are locking. Therefore last night I ordered a full set of lugs and locks online from the US. I am having someone visiting soon bring them to Thailand. If by chance they don't fit, look for my ad as I'd be selling them.

Is there a "respectable" local brand which makes band new mags for a lower cost than imported ones?

(on which you can just add the emblem of your car brand, say, BMW)

Lenso ans SSW are made in Thailand and are amongst the best wheels made, ( and are also the german TUV approved ) i was in the wheel business in the uk for 20 odd years and im really hearing some rubbish on here,. if you get the correct wheel nuts,offset and pcd the chances of a problem are as likely on your originals, almost zero,.

If you fancy a drive to pattaya ill show you a lot, what car do you have and whats your budget ? :D

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I'm purely a Bangkokian... (for now) :o

There are some superb wheels made in thailand, whip down to BITEC, there is a trade auto accessory show on there, there will be hundreds,.

I've looked around for locking lugs, but not exhaustively. However, I haven't liked what lugs I've seen on offer and none of them are locking. Therefore last night I ordered a full set of lugs and locks online from the US. I am having someone visiting soon bring them to Thailand. If by chance they don't fit, look for my ad as I'd be selling them.

85 per cent of wheel /locking nuts in the US are from ASIA,!, the BITEC show has hundreds on display, LENSO and SSW make them for export also, we imported them into the UK, cost was 240 baht for a set of 4 tuner/lockers, !

hey micksterbs....

i havent done the same on my triton, but i have changed rims size and tyre size for my previous car.

first off, the lower profile would be more expensive, not to menation the size upgrade if you get 19 or 20's.

btw the thicker the rubber, the softer the ride will be. so have 20's/...with size 40....would make your ride a hel_l of alot stiffer then 18''s with 55....or65....

Yeah, pretty much as I thought; thanks, philipm. I'll spend the dosh on something more worthwhile! :o

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 years later...