"barbecue" Ribs Without Oven/grill

Hi, I don't have an oven but want to make 'barbecue' pork spare ribs...

I kinda saw it on TV... something like searing the ribs first by pan frying them (to give it that charred look), and then simmering them in some sort of barbecue sauce??? Or was it the other way around? Not sure exactly...

Any ideas on how to do this??

Thanks!

:o

Without an oven looks a bit difficult for me :o

You can get one for around 1500Baht or even cheaper (if you are in Thailand).

Would like to give you a link that you can see how it's made but this would be my last post here.

May be the forum's Master of BBQ can give you some of his secrets recipes.

Gerd

Braised Pork Ribs w/ Caramelized Sauce

3 to 4 pounds pork ribs cut into individual ribs

1 cup red wine vinegar

1 cup ketchup

2 tsp dry mustard

4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)

2 Tbsp molasses

1 tsp salt

Heat ribs and 2 cloves of garlic in large, heavy pot; with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer 1 hour, remove from heat, and drain. Mix ketchup, vinegar, mustard, 2 cloves chopped garlic, molasses, and salt in a small saucepan; heat to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sear braised ribs 3 to 5 minutes on each side, then brush with sauce until glazed.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I kinda saw it on TV... something like searing the ribs first by pan frying them (to give it that charred look), and then simmering them in some sort of barbecue sauce??? Or was it the other way around? Not sure exactly...

Thanks!

1. Puchase small charcoal burner stove, charcoal, saucepan and small griddle (probably not more than B250)

2. Boil ribs in beer and barbecue sauce for about 25 mins using saucepan on stove.

3. Grill ribs on stove/griddle.

Actually, I make them that way all the time. I buy about a kilo of individual ribs, brown them real well on all sides, then pour barbeque sauce over and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or so, turning them a couple times, until the meat is starting to fall off the bones and the ends of the ribs stick out at least a centimeter past the meat. Husband loves them. I think they come out a bit too greasy, because I don't parboil them to melt off some of the fat. They do taste good, though, depending on the sauce you use.

Thanks!

1. Puchase small charcoal burner stove, charcoal, saucepan and small griddle (probably not more than B250)

2. Boil ribs in beer and barbecue sauce for about 25 mins using saucepan on stove.

3. Grill ribs on stove/griddle.

I live in a studio apartment with mini kitchen... no place to do a real charcoal bbq.

Thanks for Cathy's advice.