Hi everyone,

2 days ago i went on a border run to Ban Laem and i was surprised that i only got 12 days instead of 30 days... As i don't want to blame that immigration officer since the laws change so often, i try to explain what happened the previous months so that somebody ( i hope ) can tell me if i'm wrong or not and how to solve this...

The 16th January '08 i got a 60 day TR visa in Penang ; 15th March i got a 30 day extention at Pattaya immigration that expired on 14th April '08 ; So i went to the border with the intention that i could apply for 2 or 3 extra months via a re-entry visa, but as i already told the officer gave me only..... 12 days !?

=> So, is there anybody who can tell me if i'm right or wrong by thinking he should have given me another 30 days at the border, and later on 2 more border runs ??

I also want to mention that i did exactly the same at the end of 2007 and that time i didn't have ANY problem.... Meaning : i got a 60 day TR visa in Penang somewhere in july '07 (in previous passport...), in September '07 i got the 30 day extention at PTTY immigration, and after those 30 days i did 3 consecutive border runs until i bought my new TR visa in Penang as you can read on top...

BTW, i'm from Holland and 49 years old

Thanks for any advice i may receive !

Robin

The rule is a maximum of 90 days using visa exemptions in a six month period.

Without your exact dates it's impossible to tell for certain, but it looks like you've run foul of this rule :o

If you list your exact entry and exit dates we will be able to give you a more accurate diagnosis :D

Without your exact dates it's impossible to tell for certain, but it looks like you've run foul of this rule :o

If you list your exact entry and exit dates we will be able to give you a more accurate diagnosis :D

If it was only a single entry tourist visa then you have got your maximum, in order to get another 60 days you would have had to go to an embassy as borders donot themselves issueanything other than normal transient stamps unless you have a valid Visa, if that makes sense. You had your 90 days permissable on the TR if single entry.

Hi Crossy,

Thanks for your reply ; If you are talking about "exemptions", is the 30 day extention that one get at immigration office (after the 60 TR visa) also included ? Sorry for asking, but this is for me really confusing....

About the exact dates : i really don't know anymore as all those stamps in my passport looks like a Chinese handwriting now... Maybe it may help if i scan it and pass it through, but i really don't want to bore you with that ; i guess you're right with what you mentioned : "you've run foul of this rule"

Thanks again -- Robin

Hi everyone,

2 days ago i went on a border run to Ban Laem and i was surprised that i only got 12 days instead of 30 days... As i don't want to blame that immigration officer since the laws change so often, i try to explain what happened the previous months so that somebody ( i hope ) can tell me if i'm wrong or not and how to solve this...

The 16th January '08 i got a 60 day TR visa in Penang ; 15th March i got a 30 day extention at Pattaya immigration that expired on 14th April '08 ; So i went to the border with the intention that i could apply for 2 or 3 extra months via a re-entry visa, but as i already told the officer gave me only..... 12 days !?

=> So, is there anybody who can tell me if i'm right or wrong by thinking he should have given me another 30 days at the border, and later on 2 more border runs ??

I also want to mention that i did exactly the same at the end of 2007 and that time i didn't have ANY problem.... Meaning : i got a 60 day TR visa in Penang somewhere in july '07 (in previous passport...), in September '07 i got the 30 day extention at PTTY immigration, and after those 30 days i did 3 consecutive border runs until i bought my new TR visa in Penang as you can read on top...

BTW, i'm from Holland and 49 years old

Thanks for any advice i may receive !

Robin

From those dates that you have provided, you should have gotten 30 days at border imm. However, could you retrace your activities prior to 16th January ? You may have 12 days unused in the 180 days cycle. Therefore, the imm officer gave you 12 days to complete the full 180 days. If this is the scenerio, then you should be able to start afresh on your next run. I could be wrong.

If your 49 now, in Thailand/Embassy they count your age as of next birthday, so you should be able to get a 1 yr 'A-O' retirement..

I got mine 7 months before my 50th birthday with no problem. [in 2003]

Thanks for your reply ; If you are talking about "exemptions", is the 30 day extention that one get at immigration office (after the 60 TR visa) also included ? Sorry for asking, but this is for me really confusing....

About the exact dates : i really don't know anymore as all those stamps in my passport looks like a Chinese handwriting now... Maybe it may help if i scan it and pass it through, but i really don't want to bore you with that ; i guess you're right with what you mentioned : "you've run foul of this rule"

Thanks again -- Robin

The extension you got at immigration does NOT count towards the 90 day rule.

A "visa exemption" is the 30 day (or in your last case 12 day) stamp you get when you have no visa.

What date did you get your first exemption stamp (sometime in october) as the six month (not 180 day) period starts from that date, once six months is up they start counting again. It seems that immigration actually stamp up to the end of the period if it's within 30 days of your entry even if you're entitled to more (it makes the sums easier), if this is the case then another run on the last of your 12 days will get you a full 30.

Try to decipher the Chinese :o

Entry and exit stamps should be pretty easy to read. Triangular ones are exit stamps and square ones are entry stamps. They stamp the dates on them.

It still seems strange to me that they would only give you a few days if you were close to the end of the 6 month period. What would they do with a person who comes on Jan 1, stays two weeks, then comes back on June 29th. Would they only stamp them in for a couple of days because they were reaching the end of their 6 month period? This would be a nightmare for people that are just coming back every 6 months for vacation.

HOOD Robin, working backward from your tourist-visa entry on 16 JAN it looks like your 6-month period for 90 days of visa-exempt stays started on 21 OCT and theoretically would end on 20 APR. See my attached calculations:

post-21260-1208341009_thumb.png

However, if you now have been stamped in until 25 APR you are free to stay until that date.

--

Maestro

HOOD Robin, working backward from your tourist-visa entry on 16 JAN it looks like your 6-month period for 90 days of visa-exempt stays started on 21 OCT and theoretically would end on 20 APR. See my attached calculations:

post-21260-1208341009_thumb.png

However, if you now have been stamped in until 25 APR you are free to stay until that date.

--

Maestro

Then you can start again or go to Vientienne Laos and get a single or double entry tourist visa. And avoid the headache.

Edited by Lite Beer

First of all my apologies for my late reply !

Secondly MANY THANKS for all your helpful answers !

In the meanwhile i also checked some things, and i guess that the immigr officer at the border did his job correctly... Hereby i want to show you my exemption stamps, and please feel free to react.....

IN : 31/10/07 OUT : 28/11/07

IN : 28/11/07 OUT : 15/12/07 (no 30 days because i had to leave the country for private things...)

IN : 16/12/07 OUT : 14/01/08

IN : 14/04/08 OUT : i have to leave on 25/04/08

Best regards

Robin