Ideal Farm Size

Zeid

what is the ideal farm size and crop diversity to sustain a good life and afford a ticket to go west every two years. for a family of four.

i know this varies from one person to another. but would be interesting to to hear opinions.

• 3 weeks later...
100 rai of cassava is sufficient for my family of four to do that (though we rarely do go abroad).

Rgds

Khonwan

Sorry to pry Khonwan, but are you saying that you can eek out aliving growing Casava on 1oo rai alone. Or is your income supplemented by pension, investments, savings, already own your house, or wife working.

Fel free to tell me to mind my own business or as they say in the UK 'P**s off'.

100 rai of cassava is sufficient for my family of four to do that (though we rarely do go abroad).

Rgds

Khonwan

Sorry to pry Khonwan, but are you saying that you can eek out aliving growing Casava on 1oo rai alone. Or is your income supplemented by pension, investments, savings, already own your house, or wife working.

Fel free to tell me to mind my own business or as they say in the UK 'P**s off'.

What I'm saying is that 100 rai of cassava (one-year crop), assuming a yield of 4t/rai at current prices, returns a profit of 565,000 baht. That is sufficient for my family living in a remote village (and I assume all farmers own their own home), returning to the West once every two years. I expect 5 tonne/rai next year and expect a price of 3,000 baht per tonne, which would result in a profit of 1,146,000 baht from 100 rai.

My own farm is actually 200 rai.

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

What I'm saying is that 100 rai of cassava (one-year crop), assuming a yield of 4t/rai at current prices, returns a profit of 565,000 baht. That is sufficient for my family living in a remote village (and I assume all farmers own their own home), returning to the West once every two years. I expect 5 tonne/rai next year and expect a price of 3,000 baht per tonne, which would result in a profit of 1,146,000 baht from 100 rai.

Rgds

Khonwan

Good on you then Khonwan.

Your figures would suggest it could be worth buying a few 100 rai as a retirement investment. Other incomes would also be welcome.

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

Your figures would suggest it could be worth buying a few 100 rai as a retirement investment. Other incomes would also be welcome.

Hi there, first time at this, so if I stuff up cut some slack please, your comment about having 200 rai has interested me, I intend to live in Thailand, with luck, But the little I have read suggests that I can not buy land, perhaps land can be leased for growing crops? What part of Thailand is best suited to growing crops? Any information that can assist me is with thanks. Oh, I intend to marry Thai lady live in rural area( at least this is my plan) Which brings me to another question, probably wrong area to ask but I hope you can assist, how do I go about permently staying i Thailand? Thank you

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi there, first time at this, so if I stuff up cut some slack please, your comment about having 200 rai has interested me, I intend to live in Thailand, with luck, But the little I have read suggests that I can not buy land, perhaps land can be leased for growing crops? What part of Thailand is best suited to growing crops? Any information that can assist me is with thanks. Oh, I intend to marry Thai lady live in rural area( at least this is my plan) Which brings me to another question, probably wrong area to ask but I hope you can assist, how do I go about permently staying i Thailand? Thank you

Lot of ?s there so I won't answer all. Generally when Foreigners say they have land etc. they mean their wives have land. Foreigner may supply the money but wifes is registered owner. This might explain why foreigners have a reputation for being very nice to their wives. If she throws a tantrum he's homeless, visa less and probably broke.

Best place to farm is a difficult question. Perhaps you should decide where you and your wife want to live first. You might be wise to start a new topic with some of these ?s.

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

Stayforever, I will try to expand on what Paddy has already said.

Basically you cannot own land in Thailand,it must be in the name of your T/W so as Gary rightly says "only invest what you can afford to walk away from if your relationship goes pear-shaped"

Probably where will be dictated by your wifes origins,Thai culture is very family orientated so you will by expected to settle in her family area, this sometimes works out but more often leads to disaster. (50km minimum from the in laws is my personal advise.

Crops to grow....this will vary on location and conditions.

Not knowing your age ,origin,background it is hard to give heaps of advise.

The percentage of westerners making any money from farming in Thailand is miniscule and unless you have some experience ,lots of dedication and heaps of cash to toss about the chances of success is very low.

Visa options depends on age ,financial circumstances, marital status etc. The visa sections at the start of the forums is where to find the answers.

My advise is to spend lots of time reading the different threads that are available on Thaivisa

learn of members experiences in Thailand. If that doesnt dampen your enthusiasm about living here ,come back with specific questions which we will try to answer for you.

Best of Luck

ozzydom