Farang Pretend-police

Ulysses G.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this mean? If one of these tourist police volunteers and some farang who is not gets in a car accident,I know which one I would rather be.If you do not then you are in a dream world.

Also if people are worried about snitches,why are same people so concerned with someone else's work permit. I don't care who has work permet and who doesn't.Not my business.There are a whole lot of "English teachers" in this country,wich sometimes though not always ,seems like a scam.

In my experience most people who are overly worried about police are people breaking the law.

The dream world is the one where naive people think that only law breakers have anything to fear from police. I have more than one PERSONAL experience where unscrupulous police have cause me physical, emotional, and financial pain. Again I and most people posting on this subject are referring to the bad element within many, many police agencies around the world. I also have first hand experience having been a military policeman before in a previous life. Refer to GDPJohn's earlier post on the same thread. These <deleted> thrive on using power to affect or even destroy innocent lives simply because they can. To deny that these people exist is absurd. In Thailand they exists also even to a larger degree because of the lack of oversight in any way shape or form, dealing with following laws and procedures. I've paid several times through the last 12 years of living and or visiting in Thailand and not ONCE was I breaking any law. It is this element of policing that most folks here are leary of and very rightly so. I have a friend in Redding California as we speak who has lost his business and pleasant life there because of a physical attack on him in a parking lot by an off duty policeman. He protected himself,knocked the bastard out, and since police have too much power,has lost everything he has. I still say if anyone wants to be a policeman they shouldn't be allowed to. Not that this would solve the problem totally but makes me feel good saying it. Many of the folks here on Thai Visa in the Chiang Mai area are retired policemen like myself and have lived the walk. By the way colonel, tell a little bit about your moniker there .Maybe it would give a small amount of credibility to you and what you say. Are you a colonel or does it just make you feel good to call yourself that.

Edited by bunta71

I was once sat in a friends bar (an up standing establishment never involved in any thing dodgey of course) and this farang guy came in and asked for weed who was quite blatantly plainclothes, you could see it plainly by his manner, dress and approach.

I know a guy who has a friend who....

The check is in the mail.

I'll respect you in the morning.

..... and the farmer took another load away.

As a writer, I do love the phrase 'blatantly plainclothes.' I guess it must have been the belted leather trench coat, fedora pulled down low over his eyes, cigarette dangling from his lips, but spit shinned wing tip shoes. :o

Not I know a guy who has a friend who it was I, as in me, myself that was sat in the bar when a total stanger who looked like he had pencil incerted in to his rectum as part of basic training walked strait up to the bar and plain out asked if he could score. Surely, even if you have no personal experience, but you know the late great Hunter S, you'd realise no one in their right mind would do that. As I said maybe just parranoid but it did seem exceedingly odd indeed. Mr writer, if you have no idea what a plain clothes copper looks like maybe you shouldn't dismiss it when some who grew up with them says they've seen one.

I've nothing to fear, i hope, from the police as i left the haze behind years ago. What worries me, like the officer said, is the over zellious and the power tripping. This bar has nothing going on illegal in it but may look like a hippy spot. what if in an unrelated incident the plainclothes man had a problem with some one. I worry its the same kind of person who might cross the line and plant something and call his thai police buddies. You've all heard the horror stories of people getting pulled up and found with a mystery bag of drugs on them, could this account for part of it i wonder. Or maybe trying to impress his new friends.

I know for a fact on the islands there are people who regularly snitch so they are allowed to continue with their own illicit business and remain in favour. I've been offered free bags of weed walking down the beach in samui many times (by thais) said no, carried on walking and a few meters down learning by a tree seen a stern looking fellow watching it all. The only reason i could think for this would be to bust the tourist and extract money from them or increase thier statistic or both. It wouldn't suprise me if falang police were rewarded in someway for helping in undercover drugs work, which makes it all the more likely they might plant something as these thai fellows were trying to do.

Yes I am a colonel,or at least I was at one time.Are you a bunta? What is that? Is the other guy really a doctor? if so a doctor of what? Really,who cares?

All I can say on this subject,as I have wasted too much time with this already,is that yes there are bad police.Is anyone arguing this? The whole point at first was about the whole volunteer police issue,that's all.Not a debate about the existence of police corruption.

As far as being former police,I understand you say you were MP,which is not the same thing.Generally real soldiers think about MPs the way you seem to regard the volunteer cops.Not real soldiers,and not real cops.

What's wrong with a Yellow T shirt and an ID badge. This country has enough uniforms.

That's right! :D

Just who do these Thais think they are? WE'RE here now! They should be made to change several hundred years of their culture because WE don't like it, and everyone knows THAT what we think is really correct! While we're at it, let's change these ridiculous holidays, and maybe the government. Our ways are much better. Everyone knows that. After all, our countries are soooo much better which is probably why we live here now....

Oh... wait a minute..... Maybe I need to rethink this.

Oops! Call for the 'Wrong Word Police.' I shouldn't have said 're-think.' I should have said 'think.' :o

I think he means why don't they falang police just wear a yellow T-shirt and id so as to look like civillian helpers rather than state authority. There is no 700 year culture of falang in thai police. No ones suggesting changing the thai uniform i think.

....don't they falang police just wear a yellow T-shirt and id so as to look like civillian helpers rather than state authority. There is no 700 year culture of falang in thai police. No ones suggesting changing the thai uniform....
Nice idea - yellow is more tourist friendly than an all black Delta Force/SAS uniform.

Maybe the point has come to hive off the farang TPV to the TAT - a closer fit to the target support model.

Within Pattaya maybe a street walking sub-section of Pattaya City Hall?

And no need for handcuffs - just a few colored booklets perhaps.

( Just been talking to one of my staff about farangs playing policemen in Pattaya, she laughs and related an incident along Walking Street some weeks ago when she and her friends were spoken to by one of the farang's in black, he asked if she liked men in uniform? 'Oh Yes!...' she replied and walked on, when out of earshot she continued in Thai to her friends, '...but you are not a real man.' )

What's wrong with a Yellow T shirt and an ID badge. This country has enough uniforms.

That's right! :D

Just who do these Thais think they are? WE'RE here now! They should be made to change several hundred years of their culture because WE don't like it, and everyone knows THAT what we think is really correct! While we're at it, let's change these ridiculous holidays, and maybe the government. Our ways are much better. Everyone knows that. After all, our countries are soooo much better which is probably why we live here now....

Oh... wait a minute..... Maybe I need to rethink this.

Oops! Call for the 'Wrong Word Police.' I shouldn't have said 're-think.' I should have said 'think.' :o

I think he means why don't they falang police just wear a yellow T-shirt and id so as to look like civillian helpers rather than state authority. There is no 700 year culture of falang in thai police. No ones suggesting changing the thai uniform i think.

Thanks for pointing that out to him sparrow - English can be a difficult language to understand contextually.

Actually they can wear whatever colour T shirt they like...maybe a nice soft Pink.....with little Roses on it.

Again I have to clarify. Military police go through the same training as all real soldiers at least in the U.S. Army as I did during the Viet Nam war including what was called "kill training". We also went through police training including everything regular American police go through along with subjects such as Military law,i.e. Uniform Code of Military Justice, Sport Judo, various other self defense classes,etc. which by the way gave us the credentials to join civilian police forces whether it state or local, without the need for further education or academy attendance. I also took a little extra traing to also be qualified as a "sentry dog handler" Sentry dogs are all unique in the fact that they are all "crazy" and would attack and kill if they could ANY human or other animal they could reach. Not what is called a patrol dog such as you would see with civilian police. Those dogs attack usually only on command and can be controlled and be called out of an attack. Not so with the crazy dogs.Typically one of the uses of these sentry dogs was to be on point during certain infantry and special forces foot patrols. They could smell and hear the enemy long before humans could and saved many lives during for that reason. They also ,being on point (if you know what that means) could sometimes detect the smells of trip wires hooked to pungi stick traps or claymores. Sometimes they didn't detect these and being in the lead were the first to go. Some good friends...Paul Bradshaw, Jimmy Jones, and several other close friends of mine were among those who didn't make it back. I'd be happy to give you the names and addresses of their parents and you could contact them and ask them if their sons were not real soldiers or not real cops....

Are tourists being portrayed as so helpless that they need these police wannabes to help them out.

I, probably like many of you have travelled much of the world, where getting information and finding directions is a bit more difficult to say the least. I can't ever recall wishing there was a farang wannabe policeman there to help me out.....and if there were, I wouldn't want to be there anyway as it takes away the fun/adventure etc.....who needs these nannies??

Are tourists being portrayed as so helpless that they need these police wannabes to help them out.

I, probably like many of you have travelled much of the world, where getting information and finding directions is a bit more difficult to say the least. I can't ever recall wishing there was a farang wannabe policeman there to help me out.....and if there were, I wouldn't want to be there anyway as it takes away the fun/adventure etc.....who needs these nannies??

absolutely

undercover work

I have heard of TPDV going undercover mainly to identify drug dealers and gain eveidence against them I personally could identify several dealers however thats not my business and not what i joined up for but if you are involved with drugs in CM then be aware that there are UC TPV on duty from time to time I dont see any problem with this and the only people I could see having a problem with it would be drug users and dealers.

Work permits

Sriacha john after going thru the many posts on this subject it seems you have a hard on over work permits and i tell you what i will try and eleviate the pain you are going thru.

When i applied to join I was given a list of requirements of which I complied, i was not required to have a work permit but I did have one at the time of application as I was working here, however that work permit would not of been valid accoding to thai law as it was specifically for the company i was working for so would I have had to have 2 work permits.

Anyway I did ask about a work permit requirment as i was giving up my job so I asked if they could hlp get me a visa and was told they could however i did not need it and got my own.

I am not aware of any of my fellow TPDV having a work permit and several of them have been doing it since it started here in Chiang mai several years ago.

Since you are so well informed i am sure you will know that should an issue about permits ever come up it would be sorted immediately by the TPD and if they say its not required then thats good enough for me until they say different.

I want to stay within the law so when i go to the station next I will bring up the subject again and get clarification for on whether we have a waiver or what the TPD stance is now whether than complys with the labour dept we will have to see.

Sparrow

So your invite was to step outside and settle things like men (LMAO) that means rolling on the floor laughing

actually sounds more like a 12 year old talking not men.

I will pass thanks I try to avoid school boy antics

For all those that think we are wannabes you wont change your minds and thats ok we will continue to do what we do and you probalbly wont notice until the day you need us.

All the best

P.S good party by the way good to meet a lot of you

Work permits

Sriacha john after going thru the many posts on this subject it seems you have a hard on over work permits and i tell you what i will try and eleviate the pain you are going thru.

When i applied to join I was given a list of requirements of which I complied, i was not required to have a work permit but I did have one at the time of application as I was working here, however that work permit would not of been valid accoding to thai law as it was specifically for the company i was working for so would I have had to have 2 work permits.

Anyway I did ask about a work permit requirment as i was giving up my job so I asked if they could hlp get me a visa and was told they could however i did not need it and got my own.

I am not aware of any of my fellow TPDV having a work permit and several of them have been doing it since it started here in Chiang mai several years ago.

Since you are so well informed i am sure you will know that should an issue about permits ever come up it would be sorted immediately by the TPD and if they say its not required then thats good enough for me until they say different.

I want to stay within the law so when i go to the station next I will bring up the subject again and get clarification for on whether we have a waiver or what the TPD stance is now whether than complys with the labour dept we will have to see.

Thank you, I look forward to the posting of a copy of the required work permit exemption letter from the Labour Ministry.

It certainly would be appropriate for police volunteers to not be flagrantly in violation of the law, especially in light of the stiff penalties involved.

Edited by sriracha john

Thank you, I look forward to the posting of a copy of the required work permit exemption letter from the Labour Ministry.

It certainly would be appropriate for police volunteers to not be flagrantly in violation of the law, especially in light of the stiff penalties involved.

John I did not say i was going to post a copy i was going to clarify what the situation is and what there response is to your question

regards

3 silly posts from the Colonel trashed.
The dream world is the one where naive people think that only law breakers have anything to fear from police. I have more than one PERSONAL experience where unscrupulous police have cause me physical, emotional, and financial pain. Again I and most people posting on this subject are referring to the bad element within many, many police agencies around the world. I also have first hand experience having been a military policeman before in a previous life. Refer to GDPJohn's earlier post on the same thread. These <deleted> thrive on using power to affect or even destroy innocent lives simply because they can. To deny that these people exist is absurd. In Thailand they exists also even to a larger degree because of the lack of oversight in any way shape or form, dealing with following laws and procedures. I've paid several times through the last 12 years of living and or visiting in Thailand and not ONCE was I breaking any law. It is this element of policing that most folks here are leary of and very rightly so. I have a friend in Redding California as we speak who has lost his business and pleasant life there because of a physical attack on him in a parking lot by an off duty policeman. He protected himself,knocked the bastard out, and since police have too much power,has lost everything he has. I still say if anyone wants to be a policeman they shouldn't be allowed to. Not that this would solve the problem totally but makes me feel good saying it. Many of the folks here on Thai Visa in the Chiang Mai area are retired policemen like myself and have lived the walk. By the way colonel, tell a little bit about your moniker there .Maybe it would give a small amount of credibility to you and what you say. Are you a colonel or does it just make you feel good to call yourself that.

Here's additional one for you, Dr.

Nothing silly about that! :o

John I did not say i was going to post a copy i was going to clarify what the situation is and what there response is to your question

regards

The situation seems very clear already. The police volunteers are working illegally in Thailand. What the work permit exemption letter posting would do would be to legitimize that they are not working illegally.

As for doing things above aboard and in compliance with regulations and law, it always has struck me odd that police volunteers in particular... a group supposedly dedicated to the enforcement of regulations and laws have... thus far for 4+ years of Thaivisa...failed in this regard.

Edited by sriracha john

I would just add that george himself succinctly points out the penalties are very similar to overstay... and quite severe...

The penalty for working without a valid work permit in Thailand is basically the same as for overstay:

Jail, fine, deportation and possibly blacklisted from entering the Kingdom again. Read this info: http://www.thaivisa.com/303.0.html

I repeat, there are NO exceptions. All foreigners need a valid work permit. About 200 western foreigners per year are deported for illegal work. (Plus some 50,000++ migrant illegal workers from Burma, Cambodia, Laos etc., but that's another story...)

Are we to presume that it would be equally "OK" if the police volunteers were on overstay?

Also, he pointedly adds out that there no exceptions to this law... as well as adding that every year hundreds of people are thrown out of the country for the very same offense that these police volunteers are committing.

Edited by sriracha john

So your invite was to step outside and settle things like men

- this was quite obviously your implied invite not mine

For all those that think we are wannabes you wont change your minds and thats ok

- good to see you taking my advice :o

I haven't seen any of these farangs who dress up in uniforms and supposedly help the Thai police for a long time, but I did spot one at the beginning of Songkran and was instantly filled with embarrasment on their behalf.

I know that they are supposedly doing a good deed, but I feel certain that something is seriously wrong with anyone who would take on such a job unless they were in severe financial straits and getting paid a salary. I will admit that I am willing to sink to any low to remain in Thailand, including teaching at a University.

I know that p1p volunteered for this program at one time - so there must be a few good ones - but, he seems to have quit as soon as possible since I never saw him marching around in a policeman suit.

Am I the only one who feels this way about these guys? :o

In this life there are the talkers and there are the doers. The talkers

in most cases just mouth off because they are not doers. Doers get the job done while talkers blow hot air. With 8,333 posts it is very

obvious which one you are. The visitors and the Thais are grateful

for the service we volunteers provide. Instead of passing judgment on people from a distance why don't you and the other big talkers come down to TPD headquaters on Farham Road and learn the facts instead of taking pot shots at people and things you know nothing about !!!

Enough said, have a great day.

I haven't seen any of these farangs who dress up in uniforms and supposedly help the Thai police for a long time, but I did spot one at the beginning of Songkran and was instantly filled with embarrasment on their behalf.

I know that they are supposedly doing a good deed, but I feel certain that something is seriously wrong with anyone who would take on such a job unless they were in severe financial straits and getting paid a salary. I will admit that I am willing to sink to any low to remain in Thailand, including teaching at a University.

I know that p1p volunteered for this program at one time - so there must be a few good ones - but, he seems to have quit as soon as possible since I never saw him marching around in a policeman suit.

in most cases just mouth off because they are not doers. Doers get the job done while talkers blow hot air. With 8,333 posts it is very

for the service we volunteers provide. Instead of passing judgment on people from a distance why don't you and the other big talkers come down to TPD headquaters on Farham Road and learn the facts instead of taking pot shots at people and things you know nothing about !!!

Enough said, have a great day.

Couldnt agree more myself

As a current Tourist Police Volunter I am a little surprised at the nastiness of my fellow boarders toward those TPV that give back to the community they live in by voluntering there time. We receive no payment for our time nor do we receeive any perks such as work permits etc (we do not require a work permit by the way)

Why do you not require work permits?

Every foreigner working in Thailand, paid or volunteer, requires a work permit or a work permit exemption letter granted by the Labour Ministry. There are no exceptions.

Just curious, but...

Why are you so bothered about whether or not these guys have a work permit or not? Not your business, I say . It seems like an odd obssesion you have?? Strange, somehow.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the issue. I'm sure that like every group of people there are good ones and bad ones, and some with good intentions, some not. The couple of guys I know doing this are nice, genuine people, so I don't question their motives. If they're helping people out, good look to them . Well done. Keep it up!!

As for the guys I don't know - I assume that they're decent guys who have good intentions. Unfortunately, a lot of people here would rather assume otherwise. They'd rather assume some need for personal glory or whatever. They couldn't imagine that some people might just be doing this to make themselves useful and to be helpful, God forbid. Which probably reflects a flaw in their own character. Probably, the same sort of people that use the term 'do-gooder' as if it's an insult. :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

As a current Tourist Police Volunter I am a little surprised at the nastiness of my fellow boarders toward those TPV that give back to the community they live in by voluntering there time. We receive no payment for our time nor do we receeive any perks such as work permits etc (we do not require a work permit by the way)

Why do you not require work permits?

Every foreigner working in Thailand, paid or volunteer, requires a work permit or a work permit exemption letter granted by the Labour Ministry. There are no exceptions.

Just curious, but...

Why are you so bothered about whether or not these guys have a work permit or not? Not your business, I say . It seems like an odd obssesion you have?? Strange, somehow.

You find that someone who would expect the police to comply with a serious law as "obssesed"[sic] and "strange"? I find that very strange... As noted earlier, it's very akin to being on overstay. Would I be "obssesed" and "strange" if I questioned them about it after they told the forum they were perfoming this work while on overstay?

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the issue. I'm sure that like every group of people there are good ones and bad ones, and some with good intentions, some not. The couple of guys I know doing this are nice, genuine people, so I don't question their motives. I'm not questioning their motives... but their ethics and morals by not being in accordance with the law...for a police volunteer, that would seem rather basic and expectant. If they're helping people out, good look to them . Well done. Keep it up!!

As for the guys I don't know - I assume that they're decent guys who have good intentions. Unfortunately, a lot of people here would rather assume otherwise. They'd rather assume some need for personal glory or whatever. They couldn't imagine that some people might just be doing this to make themselves useful and to be helpful, God forbid. Which probably reflects a flaw in their own character. Probably, the same sort of people that use the term 'do-gooder' as if it's an insult. :o

Don't confuse my line of questioning with the line of questioning they receive from others on this thread.

Edited by sriracha john

Very good question. Let's address it directly.

1) Are tourists so helpless that they need these police wannabes to help them out?

The simple answer is; yes, many of them are. :o

They aren't ex-pats or experience travelers. If everyone was, there wouldn't be such a huge 'package tour' industry. Many people need the security of having someone hold their hands when traveling abroad. Most of them have never been more than 300 miles away from their homes before and now they are in an unfathomable country where even finding a toilet becomes a difficult problem for them to solve. They can't speak the language. They can't read the signs. They don't know the customs, so yes, they are often left feeling like toddlers trying to cope with an adult world. And just why does that waitress have her finger buried up to the second knuckle in her nostril while she puts your plate of food down on the table and none of the locals seem to even notice, much less care?!?

Ex-pats and seasoned travelers may never have any need or desire for the services of the volunteers, but the first time tourist often wishes that there was one on every corner. For people such as yourself; brave, daring, adventurous, on a quest for the hidden jewels of the Orient, the services of the volunteers won't be of much use. But why do you feel this compulsion to deride people who will help others? Or, for that matter, deride those who need the help?

2) Are these tourists being forced to use the services of the volunteers?

Again, a very simple 'no.' They aren't shunted through some sort of line such as at Customs or Passport Control. They have the option of asking a question or asking for help if they wish to or if they need it.

As you state, many of the readers here are long time ex-pats and very experienced travelers. Not tourists. Experienced travelers. I'm willing to bet that the majority of us have asked for help at one time or another. Haven't most of us ever asked where the bus station is? Or where we can find a clean room for the night? Wouldn't you find it easier (I not saying required, only easier) to ask someone who speaks your own language? Most of the volunteers wear small flags on their shirts showing the languages they speak. It's comforting for the inexperienced tourist to find someone who speaks their own language. Being a tourist doesn't mean you must suffer to enjoy your trip. In fact, I think most would prefer NOT to suffer or be challenged. Not everyone needs to prove something to themselves or to others. Some just want a relaxed vacation.

God knows it's extremely unmanly to ask for directions, and none of us guys would EVER think of doing so when lost, but tourists don't want to waste half their vacation being confused and don't need the stress. What is so wrong with providing a service to them that provides this?

3) the term 'wannabe...'

What makes you assume that the volunteers want to be police?

How about they want to be helpful?[/b

Know what? You've made sure to tell us all that you have traveled the world, "places where getting information and finding directions is a bit more difficult to say the least." I don't know about others, but I'm certainly impressed.

Are you a wannabe ex-pat. :D

for the service we volunteers provide.

How can the visitors be "grateful" when they don't even know you exist?

I live and work in tourist areas in Chiang Mai almost all of the time and have for years. In that time, I have only seen two of you - ever - walking around alone in that silly uniform that frankly just puts people off.

Many former policemen, former volunteers and others on this thread have suggested that you should be wearing something like a nice bright T-shirt with less negative connotations for the public and that wouldn't attract the power hungry, police wannabee types.

It doesn't seem that you are getting much "done", at all, this way. Why not give it a try?

FOLKGUITAR ...they are in an unfathomable country where even finding a toilet becomes a difficult problem for them to solve. They can't speak the language. They can't read the signs. They don't know the customs, so yes, they are often left feeling like toddlers trying to cope with an adult world....

I've traveled 30 countries--from advanced to extreme third-world conditions. IMO, Thailand is one of the easiest countries to get around because of the reasonably good infrastructure and friendliness of the people.

The people you describe in the above excerpt are indeed pitiful and clueless, probably because of their laziness to prepare for their trip. A basic travel book with the simplest of before-hand study and preparation would solve 90% of the problems you describe.

In this case, these "toddlers" you describe and the "police wannabees" must really deserve each other.

On second thought, let's keep 'em. :o

Edited by toptuan

FOLKGUITAR ...they are in an unfathomable country where even finding a toilet becomes a difficult problem for them to solve. They can't speak the language. They can't read the signs. They don't know the customs, so yes, they are often left feeling like toddlers trying to cope with an adult world....

I've traveled 30 countries--from advanced to extreme third-world conditions. IMO, Thailand is one of the easiest countries to get around because of the reasonably good infrastructure and friendliness of the people.

The people you describe in the above excerpt are indeed pitiful and clueless, probably because of their laziness to prepare for their trip. A basic travel book with the simplest of before-hand study and preparation would solve 90% of the problems you describe.

In this case, these "toddlers" you describe and the "police wannabees" must really deserve each other.

On second thought, let's keep 'em. :o

As others have raised the point, just who are these timid, uninitiated, clueless, lost tourists more likely to approach to "find a toilet"?

This attire?

post-35986-1210475351_thumb.jpg

Or this?

post-35986-1210475229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coffee Drinker