Farang Pretend-police

Ulysses G.

Thank you, I look forward to the posting of a copy of the required work permit exemption letter from the Labour Ministry.

It certainly would be appropriate for police volunteers to not be flagrantly in violation of the law, especially in light of the stiff penalties involved.

John I did not say i was going to post a copy i was going to clarify what the situation is and what there response is to your question

regards

The situation seems very clear already. The police volunteers are working illegally in Thailand. What the work permit exemption letter posting would do would be to legitimize that they are not working illegally.

As for doing things above aboard and in compliance with regulations and law, it always has struck me odd that police volunteers in particular... a group supposedly dedicated to the enforcement of regulations and laws have... thus far for 4+ years of Thaivisa...failed in this regard.

Any update on getting legitimate and legal?

You're like a dog with a bone on this one. :o They are unpaid volunteers, being polite, helpful and friendly to tourists. Is that a crime?

Yes.... it IS. Punishable by fine, 3 years in prison, deportation, and blacklisting.....

The fact that technically, legally they may need a work permit is inconsequential, unless of course you are the officious type.

Those punishments don't sound "inconsequential" to me. Jail time for you is perhaps no big deal.

Somewhere along the line someone has decided that it isn't important or simply not neccessary - probably someone of some importance. Probably someone with more important things to worry about. But for some strange (that word again) reason you seem to think it's important. They're breaking the law, and yet they're supposed to be upholding the law - shock, horror. Irony too!!!

Don't forget stupid of the volunteers. Putting your faith in a nameless "someone" that nothing untoward will occur to your pseudo-positions. Depending on any number of given scenarios, I could easily see the real cops turning on the fake farang ones very easily if it suited their purpose and removed any punishments from happening to them. Working undercover or even just doing common police works creates an untold number of these scenarios where something goes wrong... and guess who will face the brunt of it... They're living a precarious life doing this and its just a matter of time... before it happens.

If you wish to trivialize the issue, that's up to you.

I would imagine the hundreds of foreingers getting deported every year for the exact same criminal act of working without a work permit probably thought in the same naive and childish way.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're like a dog with a bone on this one. :o They are unpaid volunteers, being polite, helpful and friendly to tourists. Is that a crime? The fact that technically, legally they may need a work permit is inconsequential, unless of course you are the officious type.

The reality is; some laws are enforced and others are not enforced.

Is it 'legal' to have four people riding a motorbike? Nope! But we see it every time we go out the door. Is it 'legal' to ride without a helmet? Nope! But we see it every time we go out the door. We even see police riding without helmets. Is it legal for farang musicians to play in public venues? Nope! (Not even with friends for fun!) But we see it every evening. How about power water canons at Songkran? Legal? Not for the past three years. But we certainly saw plenty of them every year. Prostitution? Unlicensed beer and whiskey selling on holidays?

Let's look at more serious breeches of the law...... How about a twice-convicted pedophile, well known to the Thai police through official police channels, yet allowed to remain in the Kingdom despite the efforts of his native country's police efforts to get him back. It took three years of their efforts to do so. Certainly more injurious to the population than someone teaching English without a work permit, but that law was not enforced.

Anyone ever pay off a motor vehicle violation directly to the issuing officer?

Most of the Tourist Volunteers do have work permits for their regular jobs, but that doesn't cover them for the volunteer work. So yes, they are committing a crime. But they are providing a service to the Kingdom. They are freely giving of their time to help the country promote its tourism. The Hillside Plaza Rooftop Charity event raised almost a million baht for Thai charities. Should the organizers be deported because they don't have the proper work permit?

Question: Did you (that is the generic 'you') buy a beer yesterday? If so, you broke the law..... Will you voluntarily turn yourself in for deportation?

Which laws would you like to enforce? Which do you regularly break?

Diogenes is still searching.....

What is your definition of snappy Jefferson? A velvet hat with a big feather it in and leather chaps with butt cheek cutouts?. to each his own. do tell.

Anything that doesn't look like wannabe police. Probably just something involving a polo shirt, light green or something, along the lines of an earlier suggestion that questioned the need for all the police regalia, and being a part fo the force at all.

LMAO and you keep entertaining me your comments makes me laugh each time I check here. also by the way I run a business have a baby, prance around the night market and STILL I find time for a beer with me mates

I guess i just manage my time more effectivly than you

FarangCravings, was that you I saw in the Loi Kroh bars last night, sneaking in a few beers while on duty, and flirting with the girls at the next bar (while promiently wearing a wedding ring)? Real class act you guys appear to be..

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of photographs

What is your definition of snappy Jefferson? A velvet hat with a big feather it in and leather chaps with butt cheek cutouts?. to each his own. do tell.

Anything that doesn't look like wannabe police. Probably just something involving a polo shirt, light green or something, along the lines of an earlier suggestion that questioned the need for all the police regalia, and being a part fo the force at all.

I wonder who the Thai official was that suggested or approved this travesty of fashion? Does anybody have any guesses as to which office or bureaucrat is responsible? How did this program begin? Jeffy maybe you can track these misguided decision makers down and give them a piece of your mind or file a written complaint. . You could even take a J Crew catalog with you to show them how to dress properly in Thailand ;-)

FarangCravings, was that you I saw in the Loi Kroh bars last night, sneaking in a few beers while on duty, and flirting with the girls at the next bar (while promiently wearing a wedding ring)? Real class act you guys appear to be..

Wow.. That really hits it home..

Then again, they're not doing anything that Thai police don't do, be it the regular brown variety or Thai tourist police one.. :D

Heck, if they PAID for their drinks and girls then it seems to me they still have some way to go.. :o

LMAO and you keep entertaining me your comments makes me laugh each time I check here. also by the way I run a business have a baby, prance around the night market and STILL I find time for a beer with me mates

I guess i just manage my time more effectivly than you

sneaking in a few beers while on duty, and flirting with the girls at the next bar? Real class act you guys appear to be..

goes back to ethics and illegally working without a work permit....

It's just another illegal or unethical action.

Wow.. That really hits it home..

Then again, they're not doing anything that Thai police don't do, be it the regular brown variety or Thai tourist police one.. :D

Heck, if they PAID for their drinks and girls then it seems to me they still have some way to go.. :o

On the topic of work permits though, I do believe this is a non-issue.. Depending on how strict you want to interpret the concept of 'work', I'm pretty confident ALL of us occastionally do something that the most small-minded among us would consider work. (Or, for thos on a work-permit, do work of a different type than on the WP, in a different location than specified on the WP, or not for the employer listed on the WP).

Why, just yesterday after the major wind/downpoor some electricity line had come down, and was dangling exactly in the path of cars driving past it.. So I got a ladder and some rope and a stick and raised it up again.. Haul me off to jail eh? :D

I have edited a post that had photographs of members of the volunteer police in uniform.

As a reminder, the TV forum rules state:

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned.

The person has not been banned but a non official warning has been issued.

At this stage I am allowing this thread to continue because it still has some merit but keep your comments civil and relevant to the thread.

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

sneaking in a few beers while on duty, and flirting with the girls at the next bar? Real class act you guys appear to be..

On the topic of work permits though, I do believe this is a non-issue.. Depending on how strict you want to interpret the concept of 'work', I'm pretty confident ALL of us occastionally do something that the most small-minded among us would consider work. (Or, for thos on a work-permit, do work of a different type than on the WP, in a different location than specified on the WP, or not for the employer listed on the WP).

Why, just yesterday after the major wind/downpoor some electricity line had come down, and was dangling exactly in the path of cars driving past it.. So I got a ladder and some rope and a stick and raised it up again.. Haul me off to jail eh? :D

Do it everyday and in a uniform and in full view of the public eye and see if nothing happens. :o No doubt most of George's annual 200 western foreigners deportations had the exact same outlook.

3 years imprisonment and deportation/blacklisting, for me anyway, would not be a "non-issue"... particularly if it involved highly potentially explosive results eminating from such work as undercover narcotics purchasing.

Edited by sriracha john

LOL

That was my wifes sister you saw me talking to from the opposite bar part of my thai familly and who lives with us, just goes to show how things can be misread LOL flirting I dont think so but can understand why you would think that.

As to being in the Bar yes I was in the Bar as it was pissing down with rain and we were taking shelter there as it is a fellow volunters bar.

Edited by FarangCravings

Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned.

Aha, so they're Thaivisa members then? :o That would explain a thing or two..

I don't see anythign in the rules about posting pictures of things out there in the whole wide world!

LOL

That was my wifes sister you saw me talking to from the opposite bar part of my thai familly and who lives with us, just goes to show how things can be misread LOL flirting I dont think so but can understand why you would think that.

As to being in the Bar yes I was in the Bar as it was pissing down with rain and we were taking shelter there as it is a fellow volunters bar.

I don't think they just mis-read you, - condemned, morelike. Guilty until proven innocent. Illegal and unethical now!!! :o

An apology is probably being composed as we speak. :D

Keep on laughing. It's giving me a good chuckle too. :D

If you wish to continue with your evil ways, a free pint is waiting for you at my place, next time you're in the neighbourhood.

That smacks of corruption :o

When I asked a family member, who is #3 in the Royal Thai Narcotics Enforcement sector, about this word..."corruption",and the RT Police, he just smiled and responded, and I will quote..."John, it is customer relations"...

I didn't smile then.

Scary...

But, in the spirit...

Farangcravings... if I bump into ya on yer night out about in uniform, I'll also buy ya a pint of "customer relations"..and I don't even own a bar much less anything else.

TIT

Typically one of the uses of these sentry dogs was to be on point during certain infantry and special forces foot patrols.

Are you claiming that you were a SF MP .. and that you went on combat patrols in 'Nam with a SF team .. as a dog handler?

As you must know...

In the olden dayz of SF, a 95MOS would have to carry a "skill qualifier" of "S" and "P" with it...not normally seen in the 95 MOS series..except "P" which every airborne MP company troop had. ( and you'd see alot of "Y" identifiers also and "R" ) also woulda have been "sponsored" to attend SFQC, second enlistment, E5 or above, possibly DLI schooled...but could have been attached, which could had even been from a LEG company..not being a "snake eater" at all...

In todays modern era of SF MOS, there is no MP in it. It's all 18 series identifiers..no more "skill qualifiers" at all..but they have been recruiting off the street ( less than .1% sucess rate through the now SFSC prior to SFQC..)

Delta came from selected indivduals from then current SFA detachments ( and some B teams ) and were "invited" to participate in a "qualification process" which was taken from the then SAS school..

You were informed/"invited" to attend and if you didn't pass, you could return to your company..very few did back then..pretty tough and the "Bull" made sure it was, he'd just been to the SAS school and was very impressed..

First Ops were under "Blue Light"..and were so successful that it became a full time thing...

But I was a cook...what do I know... :o

I'm not sure if those MOS numbers came earlier or later than mine .. 911.3. The '3' meant "3 qualified" = "cross trained". My first mos was 111.? = light weapons infantry.

As I recall, the very early Delta guys were selected directly and obviously underwent some training .. I'm thinking it started on Okinawa .. but I don't think there was a formal qualification process much beyond beyond the opinion of Lt. Col. Ladd.

I knew a fella in CM a few years back who liked to dress up in the uniform.

I asked him why did he do that he replied

"Protection"

I replied

"Protection from what"

He replied

"Protection from the Police"

"Why do you need protection from the police?"

well the conversation ended there as he was clearly in another orbit

but my point is........ :o

Thank you, I look forward to the posting of a copy of the required work permit exemption letter from the Labour Ministry.

It certainly would be appropriate for police volunteers to not be flagrantly in violation of the law, especially in light of the stiff penalties involved.

John I did not say i was going to post a copy i was going to clarify what the situation is and what there response is to your question

regards

The situation seems very clear already. The police volunteers are working illegally in Thailand. What the work permit exemption letter posting would do would be to legitimize that they are not working illegally.

As for doing things above aboard and in compliance with regulations and law, it always has struck me odd that police volunteers in particular... a group supposedly dedicated to the enforcement of regulations and laws have... thus far for 4+ years of Thaivisa...failed in this regard.

You're like a dog with a bone on this one. :o They are unpaid volunteers, being polite, helpful and friendly to tourists. Is that a crime?

Yes.... it IS. Punishable by fine, 3 years in prison, deportation, and blacklisting.....

The fact that technically, legally they may need a work permit is inconsequential, unless of course you are the officious type.

Those punishments don't sound "inconsequential" to me. Jail time for you is perhaps no big deal.

Somewhere along the line someone has decided that it isn't important or simply not neccessary - probably someone of some importance. Probably someone with more important things to worry about. But for some strange (that word again) reason you seem to think it's important. They're breaking the law, and yet they're supposed to be upholding the law - shock, horror. Irony too!!!

Don't forget stupid of the volunteers. Putting your faith in a nameless "someone" that nothing untoward will occur to your pseudo-positions. Depending on any number of given scenarios, I could easily see the real cops turning on the fake farang ones very easily if it suited their purpose and removed any punishments from happening to them. Working undercover or even just doing common police works creates an untold number of these scenarios where something goes wrong... and guess who will face the brunt of it... They're living a precarious life doing this and its just a matter of time... before it happens.

I would imagine the hundreds of foreingers getting deported every year for the exact same criminal act of working without a work permit probably thought in the same naive and childish way.

Thank you for your knowlege and deep concern on this matter, I think I have an easy solution for you.

Please try it. You would be doing a great service to anyone who volunteers their time and effort to the community. Just go to the Thai Immigration office near you, if you live in CM it is located on the road to the airport on the left side. It is best you bring printed copies of your posts on this thread. When you get there ask to speak to the person in charge and ask for clarification and a ruling on this matter.

I am sure they can help you find peace of mind for all of us. Please do this because I also volunteer time and money to an orphange here. That means double time in prison and double fine for me. The fine I can probably handle but the time I don't know. They will deport a body bag I think. Thats OK with me so I do not have to explain my illegal activity in LOS to family and friends. Thanks in advance for your concern and effot on our behalf. Please post your results ASAP.

regards

I would imagine the hundreds of foreigners getting deported every year for the exact same criminal act of working without a work permit probably thought in the same naive and childish way.

Thank you for your knowlege and deep concern on this matter, I think I have an easy solution for you.

Please try it. You would be doing a great service to anyone who volunteers their time and effort to the community. Just go to the Thai Immigration office near you, if you live in CM it is located on the road to the airport on the left side. It is best you bring printed copies of your posts on this thread. When you get there ask to speak to the person in charge and ask for clarification and a ruling on this matter.

I am sure they can help you find peace of mind for all of us. Please do this because I also volunteer time and money to an orphange here. That means double time in prison and double fine for me. The fine I can probably handle but the time I don't know. They will deport a body bag I think. Thats OK with me so I do not have to explain my illegal activity in LOS to family and friends. Thanks in advance for your concern and effot on our behalf. Please post your results ASAP.

If you had already read the posts in the thread thoroughly you would already know that the Immigration Office is not the place to inquire. Where you want to go is the Ministry of Labour.

Additionally, there's no need anyway to get a "ruling on this matter" from Immigration as it was determined very clearly by Thailand in 1978 under the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521.

To aid in your understanding of these laws, please refer here:

http://eng.mol.go.th/law_labour.html

To assist you in applying for the required work permit, please refer here:

http://eng.mol.go.th/doe_service01.html

I wish you good luck to you in getting yourself legal.

As for the police volunteers, one might think they would naturally be inclined to obtaining and maintaining a legal status on their own accord without continually having to respond in a negative manner to inquiries on the matter, but obviously that assumption seems to be erroneous.

Edited by sriracha john

Typically one of the uses of these sentry dogs was to be on point during certain infantry and special forces foot patrols.

Are you claiming that you were a SF MP .. and that you went on combat patrols in 'Nam with a SF team .. as a dog handler?

As you must know...

In the olden dayz of SF, a 95MOS would have to carry a "skill qualifier" of "S" and "P" with it...not normally seen in the 95 MOS series..except "P" which every airborne MP company troop had. ( and you'd see alot of "Y" identifiers also and "R" ) also woulda have been "sponsored" to attend SFQC, second enlistment, E5 or above, possibly DLI schooled...but could have been attached, which could had even been from a LEG company..not being a "snake eater" at all...

In todays modern era of SF MOS, there is no MP in it. It's all 18 series identifiers..no more "skill qualifiers" at all..but they have been recruiting off the street ( less than .1% sucess rate through the now SFSC prior to SFQC..)

Delta came from selected indivduals from then current SFA detachments ( and some B teams ) and were "invited" to participate in a "qualification process" which was taken from the then SAS school..

You were informed/"invited" to attend and if you didn't pass, you could return to your company..very few did back then..pretty tough and the "Bull" made sure it was, he'd just been to the SAS school and was very impressed..

First Ops were under "Blue Light"..and were so successful that it became a full time thing...

But I was a cook...what do I know... :o

I'm not sure if those MOS numbers came earlier or later than mine .. 911.3. The '3' meant "3 qualified" = "cross trained". My first mos was 111.? = light weapons infantry.

As I recall, the very early Delta guys were selected directly and obviously underwent some training .. I'm thinking it started on Okinawa .. but I don't think there was a formal qualification process much beyond beyond the opinion of Lt. Col. Ladd.

The people you are refering to were Mobile Strike Teams from CCN, CCS.. and SOG. Operational details were submitted on the rock, but functioned within RVN.

I know you're an old ( no offense ) somewhat of a "brown boot" army guy, but actually the idea of a unit of this nature started right after the Son Thay raid..

Col. Simons ( The Bull ) was an on ground commander during the op and suggested it to the higher ups after. ( the raid was a complete success, the results of the mission were not..)

The first were members of the raid ( most EM's from 7th SFG(A) and 5th SFG(A), the 10th was still in Germany ) were asked if they wanted to join it ( a special counter terriost strike team ) with the option of returning to the respective teams if not.. and used the name of "Blue Light Operations"..

Low and behold, those early years, Spec Ops was a kiss of death for any career officer, so most current SF officers were not going to do it, & went back to thier respective branch ( INF, Armor, ARTY, etc ) and climbed the ladder of success..some stayed within SF and never went higher than 06..Col Simons took the ball and got it rolling..

Strike Teams were still the fashion for several more years while Col. Simons went on ..the Army after his pestering, sent him to England as a liason ( probably spelled that wrong) with the British Army. While there he begged for the BA to let him try the SAS qual course, which they did, and he barely made it through ,and the rest is history...( he did design the Delta qual course back around the late 70's at the Benning School for Boys..and made it tougher than the SAS course and too many SF'ers failed it)

It was a composite of members from different "A" detachments during that time and has since became a seperate unit unto itself now.. ( Operational Detachment "D", 1st SFG(A) ) and still is currently at FT Bragg.

Don't know or can't remember ( too many "prop blasts" ) when they changed the MOS's ( year ) probably after you, (no offense again, unsure of the years there on that) But went to a rank, skill identifer as in example..MOS 11B40.PR ( E7, SFC, Parachute, Ranger) During and since my days, the identifiers were dropped and now would just reflect on MOS and rank..95B40, ( MP, SFC ( E7) ) and cannot remember the year that started, but was after 1980..

Col. Simons retired and went back to farming pigs and died within a few years...I think he was from Arkansas..

Sorry to get off track..off thread...

Back to the Farang volunteers...

regards

I hope you don't mind me asking again, but I'm intrigued. Please explain ....

'Why are you so bothered about whether or not these guys have a work permit or not?

I'm sure they are aware of the ramifications of being a volunteer and since they continue to do it, I assume they are not concerned. So why are you? It certainly doesn't appear to be brotherly love. :D

'I'm not questioning their motives... but their ethics and morals' you say.

Ethically and morally, they shouldn't be helping tourists!!! Wow.

I know I said before, that your obsession was 'strange' but actually it wasn't really the right word ... it's more... welll .... funny. I had to admit that mistake because I remember laughing a few times. In fact I'm having a good little chuckle now. :D

I didn't have a view on these guys one way or another, but the more I hear the negative judgements and criticism they get for helping people out , the more I admire them. They're out on the streets, being polite, friendly and helpful and for some reason they're being ridiculed and having their ethics and morals questioned. Amazing. I still don't understand the Thais, but Farangs never cease to amaze and amuse me. :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

regards

I hope you don't mind me asking again, but I'm intrigued. Please explain ....

'Why are you so bothered about whether or not these guys have a work permit or not?

I'm sure they are aware of the ramifications of being a volunteer and since they continue to do it, I assume they are not concerned. So why are you? It certainly doesn't appear to be brotherly love. :D

You assume a tremendous amount on their part. It's been obvious through many of these several police volunteer threads that they are NOT aware of the ramifications. I think their reluctance to address the issue properly reflects a denial of their concern. Still, why don't we both allow them to speak for themselves on these aspects.

'I'm not questioning their motives... but their ethics and morals' you say.

Ethically and morally, they shouldn't be helping tourists!!! Wow.

Ethically and morally, the representatives of law enforcement should not be so flagrantly in violation of the law that they have willingly chosen to enforce. Ethically and morally, they should take the necessary steps to insure they are legal to perform the task of helping tourists. Once again, don't confuse the issue of work permits with the altruism that also comes into the situation. Complying with the law AND helping others are not mutually exclusive.

I know I said before, that your obsession was 'strange' but actually it wasn't really the right word ... it's more... welll .... funny. I had to admit that mistake because I remember laughing a few times. In fact I'm having a good little chuckle now. :D

I didn't have a view on these guys one way or another, but the more I hear the negative judgements and criticism they get for helping people out , the more I admire them. They're out on the streets, being polite, friendly and helpful and for some reason they're being ridiculed and having their ethics and morals questioned. Amazing. I still don't understand the Thais, but Farangs never cease to amaze and amuse me. :o

That's not surprising given that you seem to have a limited ability to see various aspects of a single topic.