Koh Chang In (ranong, Not The One You're Thinking Of)

2long

Second hand experience ok 2long? A very good friend of mine goes to Koh Chang regularly, he absolutley loves it. From what he tells me, it sounds alot like Koh Phangan when I first arrived all those years ago.

i stayed on K Phayam a few years ago.

the ferry ( a boat not a long-tail) stops near K chang on the way,

you take a small boat to the beach.

Phayam is lovely, and can get around by motorbike on the 6' wide roads.

best sunsets i ever see.

electric from 6-10pm approx. no bars, very quiet, good beach.

Chang is similar i believe, but there are no roads, beach to beach by boat.

Koh Chang is beautful. Its only small with a few bungaow resorts which each have their own little resteraunts. No roads just tracks cutting through the jungle. The place I stayed was right on the beach among the cashew nut trees and absolutly idylic. If you want somewhere with a little bit more amenitys then the next island is Koh Payam. Me and Mrs H2o went there for new year and found it again to be lovely. Not very commercial with a bungalow on the beach running around 300 baht. We spent a day kayaking around the place. Some beautiful unspoilt beaches and gorgeous sun sets. Was hoping to go back this year but without the missus it didnt seem right. You catch the ferry on the opposite side to where you get the longtails to Mayanmar. It is signposted for Payam. The ferry is not huge and if you are going to Koh Chang then it gets you close to the beach then you have to wade in the last bit No Pier. Well worth a trip though and one of the best places to just relax and re charge the batteries. Enjoy :o

Both Phayam and Chang are beautiful. I understand Phayam has been quite crowded this high season. I first stayed at Bamboo, but I found it too trendy for my taste, and moved next door to Bamboo, which is run by a nice Thai family. After a while I called up Moon from Tommy's Garden Resort, and they picked me up at Phayam port in their longtail, and brought me to their small cozy place with its own cove - only 12 bungalows. Later, when I was ready to go, they took me out on a small boat and intercepted the ferry.

No aircon on Phayam or Chang AFAIK because they're not on the power grid. Breezes off the sea, though. Phayam is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. Anybody want the numbers for Tommy's Garden (a cellphone hanging on a tree in one of the places where they could get reception across the water from Phayam), call me.

I remember Palolem, my favourite beach in Goa. That is before Lonely Planet praised it as the India's most idyllic beach. Now it is everyones favourite beach and it has been ruined beyond recognition. In view of that I am most reluctant to say that I love Koh Chang (Ranong province) and have visited there often. Check out ashaguesthouse.com my favourite gh in Bangkok, the Brit owner, also has camp Eden on Koh Chang. The morning ferry leaves the Chang and Phayam pier in Ranong at 09:30 (150 Baht) and returns from Chang at 14:00. Times vary with tidal conditions. Also an afternoon one I think. (check on 02-271-1417 with Mike or Rob or Tum at Asha for more info).

Hey, yeah definitely worth the trip! ... spent 4days/3nites on Koh Chang in Dec. 2006. I would take the ferry over from Trat (30-40 minutes), and stay at any of the bungalows there on the far side of the island (closer to Internet cafes, clubs and restaurants). You can jump on a sightseeing boat and checkout 3-4-5 islands where they stop off and you can snorkel around the islands. Most of them will offer up a Thai lunch while onboard, all for about 500 baht for the day.

I stayed at the Bhumiyama Beach Resort, very nice digs for about $75 US a night or with a Thai you can get it at about half price. Bungaloes will run you $3-$8 US... do it on the cheap, and save your money for the beer and nightlife!

Go, enjoy... you only go around once! :o

Hey, yeah definitely worth the trip! ... spent 4days/3nites on Koh Chang in Dec. 2006. I would take the ferry over from Trat (30-40 minutes), and stay at any of the bungalows there on the far side of the island (closer to Internet cafes, clubs and restaurants). You can jump on a sightseeing boat and checkout 3-4-5 islands where they stop off and you can snorkel around the islands. Most of them will offer up a Thai lunch while onboard, all for about 500 baht for the day.

I stayed at the Bhumiyama Beach Resort, very nice digs for about $75 US a night or with a Thai you can get it at about half price. Bungaloes will run you $3-$8 US... do it on the cheap, and save your money for the beer and nightlife!

Go, enjoy... you only go around once! :D

neither trat nor the internet or nightlife is anywhere near the op's koh chang :o

Last year I went to Koh Payam. I was surprized at the amount of tourist that had heard about (and invaded) the place. Nevertheless I did enjoy it. However, on the way to there, a few travelers were dumped (almost literally) off at Koh Chang. At that moment, I wished that I had chosen that place.

Two very small boats pulled up to the small ferry I was on and "on the fly" picked up the travelers - scurrying from boat to boat on the open water. 'Sea Gypsies' operated the pick up boats with deft expertise. No, not the expanding foam Sea Gypsies that you buy for your aquarium. These guys alone were worth seeing.

The 'western' Koh Chang on the Andaman Sea looked gorgeous, isolated and definitely "unplugged" from the internet and most likely phone service as Koh Payam was.

One responder has definitly and incorrectly commented on the 'eastern' (Gulf of Thailand) Koh Chang, off of the coast of Trat near Cambodia. Perhaps they got confused, as to get to that (over-rated and high-priced island), by bus or by car, one must pass through the coastal city of Rayong (not Ranong). Rayong is the gateway to Koh Samet as well.

I agree with most others on ferry docks and times.

Have a great stay!

Go, enjoy... you only go around once! :D

neither trat nor the internet or nightlife is anywhere near the op's koh chang :D

let me sum up koh chang as i just got back recently and its my second trip ;-

1. Terrible restaraunts

2. v poor accommmodation or if quality expensive

3. island a total rubbish tip. ive never seen anything like it in Thailand ever. the whole place is covered in waste paper , rubbish etc.

4. construction going on everywhere - look heavily unregulated. dirt everywhere

5. v average beaches almost no shades tables etc. sand not white more yellow grey and i saw most of them.

6. generally things are very run down

7. tourists largely pattaya types on visa runs and backpackers

8. roads are a minefiled . in wet lethal as v steep and almost no maintainance.

solid 3 out of ten. i went there 3 years ago didnt rate it went there again last month and its actually got worse. strongly do not recommend this place. a tip.

i even had a look at the dusit and again even that was quite dissapointing.

:o

let me sum up koh chang as i just got back recently and its my second trip ;-

1. Terrible restaraunts

2. v poor accommmodation or if quality expensive

3. island a total rubbish tip. ive never seen anything like it in Thailand ever. the whole place is covered in waste paper , rubbish etc.

4. construction going on everywhere - look heavily unregulated. dirt everywhere

5. v average beaches almost no shades tables etc. sand not white more yellow grey and i saw most of them.

6. generally things are very run down

7. tourists largely pattaya types on visa runs and backpackers

8. roads are a minefiled . in wet lethal as v steep and almost no maintainance.

solid 3 out of ten. i went there 3 years ago didnt rate it went there again last month and its actually got worse. strongly do not recommend this place. a tip.

i even had a look at the dusit and again even that was quite dissapointing.

:o

you have been at the WRONG koh chang - but even then it looks like you were staying in white beach only, which indeed has turned into little pattaya. however, your ratings are ignorant of other places on the island, which ARE worth a trip. besides, i wouldn't have stayed in white beach 5 years ago when there was not a single 7/11 on the whole island... go explore!