Tourist Visa Regulations

hey,

ive got a question about tourist visa and when i can enter thailand again and how long i can stay there for. tried to figure it out myself but dont know the regulations well enough. any help is greatly appreciated.

these are the time periods ive stayed in thailand:

15th oct - 13 dec (60 day tourist visa)

13th dec - 12 jan (30 day extension from the immigration office)

12 jan - 10 feb (30 days from the border)

10 feb - 10 mar (30 days from the border)

12 mar - 9 apr (60 day tourist visa, but due to an accident i had to leave for my home country before the visa expired)

from 9th april ive been to my home country finland and i've got a oneway flight back to thailand on the 4th may. am i going to be able to enter the country? i've got only oneway flight so i suppose i need to get a tourist visa, am i right? am i able to get a tourist visa now? how about after that, can i extend it, and then for example go to malaysia, get a new tourist visa, extend that one, then do a border run, and so on? i am very confused with the regulations now. i was supposed to stay in thailand but had an accident and was forced to come to finland to see a doctor. if entering thailand and extending visa and doing border runs as normal is not possible, does it help at all if i get a new passport? does that make me "clear" of the previous visas and extensions?

please someone clarify me about the rules. i must get to thailand on the 4th may and stay there continuosly (apart from the visaruns) for at least a year.

i am finnish citizen and 25 years old.

thank you for any help.

With a one way ticket, you may not be able to get on the plane. The airline may require you to have a return ticket. If you have a visa, they will probably let you on the plane.

There is no limit on the number of tourist visas you can get. It is up to the consulate. Most consulates in your home country will give you one without a problem. I would try to get a double or triple entry tourist visa from your home country.

After your visa and extension you could go to Vientiane Laos and get another tourist visa. Maybe even a double entry.

You are limited to 90 days on visa exempt entries during a 6 month period. So you

With a one way ticket, you may not be able to get on the plane. The airline may require you to have a return ticket. If you have a visa, they will probably let you on the plane.

There is no limit on the number of tourist visas you can get. It is up to the consulate. Most consulates in your home country will give you one without a problem. I would try to get a double or triple entry tourist visa from your home country.

After your visa and extension you could go to Vientiane Laos and get another tourist visa. Maybe even a double entry.

You are limited to 90 days on visa exempt entries during a 6 month period. So you

hey,

thank you a million for the reply. so you suggest i go to the thai embassy in my home country, get a double or triple entry visa and therefore should hopefully be able to fly into thailand without return ticket. how does that double or triple entry visa work then? how many days do i get in total? and is it ok to do a border run to say burma to do the second and possibly 3rd entry? how about when that visa expires, can i extend it at the immigration office or get 30 days from the border? to be honest i have no idea how that kind of visa works... have only always used single entries. i would be very grateful if you can explain me that.

thank you anyway for the reply. i was pulling my hair out because i thought i wouldnt be able to enter thailand 3 times within 6 months! but apparently that is not the case.

cheers mate!

ps. sorry for the lack of capital letters but my hand is in a cast so typing is a little difficult.

yes, yes, and yes. I would try to get a triple entry. They may only give you a double or single, but try to get as many as you can.

You visa will have a date on it that says "enter before" That is the date that you must make all of the entries before. You cannot come on that date, because you have to be there "before" that date. You can make your first entry, stay for about 60 days, go to immigration get an extension of stay for 30 days (sometimes they ask for a ticket leaving, but rarely). Then after your extension of stay is up, you leave the country however you want, fly or a land border. You come right back in and do exactly the same for the second and/or third entry. The key is to make sure that you make all permitted entries prior to the "enter before" date. So if you could get a triple entry, you could possibly use it for almost 9 months before you had to get another visa or use visa exempt entries.

But realistically they will probably not give you a triple entry. But you can ask, and maybe they will give you a double if they will not give you a triple.

If they only give you a single, then you can go to Vientiane Laos when that visa and exemption expires and get another visa.

The only limits on entering Thailand is 90 days total in 6 month period (as many entries as you want, just total days <=90) using the visa exempt stamps you get at the border when you do not have a visa. Entries using a visa and extensions of stay based off of that visa do not count towards that total.

yes, yes, and yes. I would try to get a triple entry. They may only give you a double or single, but try to get as many as you can.

You visa will have a date on it that says "enter before" That is the date that you must make all of the entries before. You cannot come on that date, because you have to be there "before" that date. You can make your first entry, stay for about 60 days, go to immigration get an extension of stay for 30 days (sometimes they ask for a ticket leaving, but rarely). Then after your extension of stay is up, you leave the country however you want, fly or a land border. You come right back in and do exactly the same for the second and/or third entry. The key is to make sure that you make all permitted entries prior to the "enter before" date. So if you could get a triple entry, you could possibly use it for almost 9 months before you had to get another visa or use visa exempt entries.

But realistically they will probably not give you a triple entry. But you can ask, and maybe they will give you a double if they will not give you a triple.

If they only give you a single, then you can go to Vientiane Laos when that visa and exemption expires and get another visa.

The only limits on entering Thailand is 90 days total in 6 month period (as many entries as you want, just total days <=90) using the visa exempt stamps you get at the border when you do not have a visa. Entries using a visa and extensions of stay based off of that visa do not count towards that total.

I am in a similar situation and I am a US citizen. I've been looking at the Royal Thai Consulate website for Tourist Visa's and found that the 60 day Tourist Visa does not allow multiple entry anymore and appears not to provide a 30 day extention anymore either. See link http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-tourist-us.htm

I have been planning to go to Thailand now for my Fiancee's Visa interview (to USA), although we have not received her actual interview date from the US Consulate. It may be anywhere from 2 months to 3+ months from now. Although I would like to go now on a 60 day Visa, it appears I may risk not being able to attend her interview if it is finally scheduled after my 60 day stay (i.e., 3+ months from now). This is troubling

Anybody have suggestions....am I missing something?

Edited by jmapodaca

1. A tourist visa entry for US passport is 60 days. You can still extend your stay 30 days at Immigration (for additional fee) and see nothing on that web page that indicates otherwise. You can extend entry 30 days in almost all cases.

2. They provide the price "per entry" for tourist visas which seems to indicate to me that they will issue two or three entry if you have a valid reason (but they do state validity to use will be 3 months so may not add anything to that). What they say is no Multiple entry visa issue (which is a category used for non immigrant visas) and not what they use for two/three/four entry tourist visas. If you want more than one entry ask for them in block 1 of the application.

3. In worst case you can easily obtain a new visa in any country near Thailand or just cross a border/enter other country and return for a 30 day visa exempt entry (up to 3 times).

1. A tourist visa entry for US passport is 60 days. You can still extend your stay 30 days at Immigration (for additional fee) and see nothing on that web page that indicates otherwise. You can extend entry 30 days in almost all cases.

2. They provide the price "per entry" for tourist visas which seems to indicate to me that they will issue two or three entry if you have a valid reason (but they do state validity to use will be 3 months so may not add anything to that). What they say is no Multiple entry visa issue (which is a category used for non immigrant visas) and not what they use for two/three/four entry tourist visas. If you want more than one entry ask for them in block 1 of the application.

3. In worst case you can easily obtain a new visa in any country near Thailand or just cross a border/enter other country and return for a 30 day visa exempt entry (up to 3 times).

Late last year I did get a 60 day Visa and then a 30 day extension with no problem. The wording on the website this time around through me off.

Worst case, if I am denied a 30 day extension how many days do I have to leave Thailand before being permitted to return - either on another 60 day Visa or on a 30 day passport only stay?

Do you know which border is best? I will be staying in Petchaboon, Thailand. Thank you.

You do not have to leave Thailand for any period of time. The only restriction is that you can not stay more than 90 days in a six month period using visa exempt entry (30 day border stamps). But you can always stay on a visa entry.

The only people denied a 30 day extension were a few isolated cases last year of people who had been staying in Thailand for extended periods and did not have a ticket out of Thailand to show Immigration - they were provided a 7 day extension rather than the normal 30 days. But it was a very small percentage and have not heard of any in the last six months or so.

The Laos border would probably be your best crossing (Nong Khai) and if you need a visa Vientiane is currently the best place in the area.

You do not have to leave Thailand for any period of time. The only restriction is that you can not stay more than 90 days in a six month period using visa exempt entry (30 day border stamps). But you can always stay on a visa entry.

The only people denied a 30 day extension were a few isolated cases last year of people who had been staying in Thailand for extended periods and did not have a ticket out of Thailand to show Immigration - they were provided a 7 day extension rather than the normal 30 days. But it was a very small percentage and have not heard of any in the last six months or so.

The Laos border would probably be your best crossing (Nong Khai) and if you need a visa Vientiane is currently the best place in the area.

So I understand, if a 30 day extention is denied on my first 60 day Tourist Visa, I simply apply for another 60 day Tourist Visa in Bangkok (same day the extention was denied)?

After that (assuming the 2nd 60 day Visa is issued), when the 2nd 60 day Visa expires (assuming a 30 day extention is denied again) I can leave Thailand crossing the Laos border and return (same day) on a Visa exempt 30 day stamp and do that two more times for a total of 90 days? Also assumes I do not pursue a 3rd, 4th, etc. 60 day Visas.

My total stay in Thailand would be 210 days (60 day Visa + 60 day Visa + 30 exempt Visa + 30 exempt Visa + 30 exempt Visa).

Edited by jmapodaca

No. You must exit/return to obtain a new 60 day visa entry if using a two or more entry visa. But your extension will not be denied. It is virtually automatic. If not issued for 30 days it would be issued for 7 days.

No. You must exit/return to obtain a new 60 day visa entry if using a two or more entry visa. But your extension will not be denied. It is virtually automatic. If not issued for 30 days it would be issued for 7 days.

Thank you very much.

You can only get visas from consulates and embassies. You cannot get a new visa in Bangkok. You will need to leave Thailand and go to a consulate or embassy in a neighboring country to get another visa.

And it is easy to do.

You will not be denied your 30 day extension anyway.

You can only get visas from consulates and embassies. You cannot get a new visa in Bangkok. You will need to leave Thailand and go to a consulate or embassy in a neighboring country to get another visa.

And it is easy to do.

You will not be denied your 30 day extension anyway.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.....but I would like to get this process down.

I am going to apply for a Tourist "two entry" Visa next week. Can I assume the following process?

1.) Enter Thailand and stay for 60 days;

2.) On the 60th day get a 30 day extension;

3.) On the 90th day make a border run leaving Thailand;

4.) Return to Thailand (same day) by re-entering on my Visa (2nd entry) and stay for another 60 days;

5.) On the 150th day get another 30 day extension;

6.) Return home by the 180th day.

This provides a total of 180 days on a "two entry" Tourist Visa. Would that be deal? Thank you all for helping me clarify the details. The Visa process is definitely not my specialty.

Edited by jmapodaca

1. Yes

2. Obtain extension with a few days remaining - it will start at end of 60 days.

3. You must leave/return before your visa expires (which is 90 days from date of issue). So a little less than 90 days from entry.

4. Yes

5. Do a few days early as before.

6. Total time will be a little less than 180 days.

You would not get 180 days. If you leave and come back in on the same day, it will count as day 90 of your first entry and day one of your second entry. So it would count twice towards your total stay. Also depending on the "enter before" date on your visa, you may only have 90 days to make both entries. So you would have to make the second entry the day before the "enter before" date on your visa, thus losing another day or two. Also if you do not use your visa on the same day that you get it, that will cut into your time if you are only given a visa that is valid for 90 days.

maestro, lopburi3 and jstumbo

i admit you know more about thai visa rules than even the thai officers at borders and immigration. i have got a delicate question for you:

assume i live close to the thai border and have a friend on the other side which i want to visit every day. what kind of visa do i need, how long will it be valid and how many stamps would i have in my passport?

i suppose 'visa exemption', but after just 45 days and 180 (!) stamps i would be reminded, that i did stay 90 days in thailand already and be denied to go back to my thai home. is that true or is there an easier way to do regular border crossings?

i am european, where one can go from north norway to gibraltar (the crow flies more than 4,000 km) without a single stamp through as much as 27 countries.

On visa exempt entries you could do it for 90 days before you would have a problem, because I assume that you are entering and exiting on the same day, so it would only be one day each time. 360 stamps for those 90 days, 90 in for each country and 90 out for each country. Plus maybe extra pages for a visa(s) for whatever country your friend lived in. But then after 90 days you would not be able to do this anymore.

Best would be a multi entry b visa if you were doing business in Thailand or a multi entry non-imm O visa if you could get one. Then you could come and go each day for a year. But again you would have 4 stamps each day. No way to get around that really.

Next best would probably be tourist visa with a re-entry permit so you could use it for 3 months before getting another one or get a double entry from Vientiane. But again, you would have lots of stamps from all the trips.

Or you could live near a border that does not have immigration checkpoints. You could probably go back and forth without too much difficulty and not have any stamps. But if you got caught, it would probably mean a trip to the IDC or equivalent in whatever country you were caught in.

A big part of it would be getting a visa for whichever country you wanted to go to that allowed you multiple visits. Otherwise you would fill your passport with visas very quickly.

Edited by jstumbo

Perhaps if the other party is a citizen of that country they might be able to travel easier than you and only require a border pass? Otherwise a multi entry non immigrant visa would be the best choice - but probably not going to be easy to obtain anywhere locally.

Hi this is a copy of wording from the Thai emabssy in the UK:

NO VISA IS REQUIRED FOR TOURISTS WHO ARE VISITING THAILAND FOR LESS THAN 30 DAYS AND HOLD

VALID BRITISH PASSPORTS AND DEPARTURE AIR TICKETS FROM THAILAND.

TOURIST VISA . THIS ALLOWS A STAY OF UP TO 60 DAYS FROM ARRIVAL IN THAILAND AN EXTENSION OF

UP TO 30 DAYS CAN BE OBTAINED ON APPLICATION TO THE IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES AND PAYMENT OF

THE CURRENT FEE. THE LENGTH OF EXTENSION IS AT DISCRETION OF THE AUTHORITIES AND THERE IS AN

INCREASING TENDENENCY FOR IT TO BE LIMITED TO 15 DAYS OR EVEN LESS.

THIS IS CLASSIFIED AS A SINGLE ENTRY AND THE TOURIST HAS TO ARRIVE IN THAILAND WITHIN

Don't count on 30 days !!

NO VISA IS REQUIRED FOR TOURISTS WHO ARE VISITING THAILAND FOR LESS THAN 30 DAYS AND HOLD

VALID BRITISH PASSPORTS AND DEPARTURE AIR TICKETS FROM THAILAND.

TOURIST VISA . THIS ALLOWS A STAY OF UP TO 60 DAYS FROM ARRIVAL IN THAILAND AN EXTENSION OF

UP TO 30 DAYS CAN BE OBTAINED ON APPLICATION TO THE IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES AND PAYMENT OF

THE CURRENT FEE. THE LENGTH OF EXTENSION IS AT DISCRETION OF THE AUTHORITIES AND THERE IS AN

INCREASING TENDENENCY FOR IT TO BE LIMITED TO 15 DAYS OR EVEN LESS.

THIS IS CLASSIFIED AS A SINGLE ENTRY AND THE TOURIST HAS TO ARRIVE IN THAILAND WITHIN

Don't count on 30 days !!

No 15 day extensions have been issued in over a year as far as I know. The only exceptions to the 30 days were a few cases of people who had stayed in Thailand for extended periods and did not have an outbound ticket to leave during the 30 day period who received 7 day extensions. If you are a tourist you will almost surly obtain a 30 day extension of stay on a tourist visa if you request it.

NO VISA IS REQUIRED ...

I searched the entire web site of www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk and could not find the text you quoted. Would you be so kind as to give the link?

post-21260-1208854902_thumb.png

--

Maestro