Shipping Household Goods To Thailand

a2396

I am going to have some personal items shipped from USA to Thailand in the future. Does anyone have any good resources for information on this, such as what is allowed and not allowed, ie any prohibited items. I would be coming under the definition of a retirement visa, one time only exemption. Thanks.

Guest Reimar
I am going to have some personal items shipped from USA to Thailand in the future. Does anyone have any good resources for information on this, such as what is allowed and not allowed, ie any prohibited items. I would be coming under the definition of a retirement visa, one time only exemption. Thanks.

May you contact the member Raro because he is in this business.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Good advice. Without experienced help you will be taxed. A retiree has NO tax or duty exemptions.

When I shipped my personal things from America to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" I used a company in the US which specializes in moving business people around the world. They in turn contracted with a Thai company that handled this end of it. I shipped nearly half a container's worth of stuff.

Eight weeks later, my stuff arrived but had not cleared customs. The company in Bangkok said I should give them 1200 baht to 'not have a problem', which I did. Two days later a caravan of small trucks from the thai freight company showed up & carried everything inside the house. They said only two small boxes had been opened by customs. I am too young to retire, and only had a Non-O visa so I guess I should have paid import duty on most everything. Believe me it was a HIGH dollar value of stuff I shipped out here.

Come to think of it; that was the best 1200 baht I've spent here in Thailand in nearly 4 years.

IF you want the name of the US company send me a P/M. Oh, and btw; I don't get a cent from them, but their service was top notch.

Cheers.

Thanks. I have sent him a message.

When I shipped my personal things from America to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" I used a company in the US which specializes in moving business people around the world. They in turn contracted with a Thai company that handled this end of it. I shipped nearly half a container's worth of stuff.

Eight weeks later, my stuff arrived but had not cleared customs. The company in Bangkok said I should give them 1200 baht to 'not have a problem', which I did. Two days later a caravan of small trucks from the thai freight company showed up & carried everything inside the house. They said only two small boxes had been opened by customs. I am too young to retire, and only had a Non-O visa so I guess I should have paid import duty on most everything. Believe me it was a HIGH dollar value of stuff I shipped out here.

Come to think of it; that was the best 1200 baht I've spent here in Thailand in nearly 4 years.

IF you want the name of the US company send me a P/M. Oh, and btw; I don't get a cent from them, but their service was top notch.

Thanks for your reply. I have sent you a message about this.

I shipped a 40 ft container full of stuff from Denver to BKK late 06 for $2400. Shipper would provide help clearing thru customs on a retiree and/or returning Thai. PM me and I will provide more complete info.

The cargo mafia will get their piece. Nothing enters Thailand without an under the table payment.

Use a professional company that has greased the wheels already.

For a true glimpse of how businesss is done in Thailand..., go out to the Cargo area and try to pick it up yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
The cargo mafia will get their piece. Nothing enters Thailand without an under the table payment.

Use a professional company that has greased the wheels already.

For a true glimpse of how businesss is done in Thailand..., go out to the Cargo area and try to pick it up yourself.

I am probably going to bring in about $600 U.S. worth of used clothing. Anyone have any idea how much customs duty I might be looking at? Also, is it better to have it destined to a Thai person, ie GF or friend? Thanks.