Dutch Visa Refused

My GF just left the Dutch Embassy in London a few minutes ago.

Her dutch visa has been refused because her residency card is not issued on a passport but it is issued on a paper.

They gave her a letter and told to ask the home office to obtain a new label on the passport.

We went to the Dutch because we are not married and they recognised the un-married partnership while French and Italians don't (we are going to do a few days in Amsterdam, Paris and Milan) (which means free visa).

Anyway...

I've called the French and the Italians on their premium rates (£1gbp/min) and I'm still unsure if they can issue a (tourist) visa or if they will reply as the Dutch did...is there anyone that could help with this?

(In the meantime we will try with the Home Office)

g.

That seems a very strange decision: just because W.'s residence card is not endorsed in her passport does not mean that she can't benefit from the European rules and regulations. How far would you wish to take this? Potentially, you could submit a complaint to the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs saying that they have infringed your and W.'s freedom of movement, but there's no telling how long this might take.

Scouse.

I would not bother taking it 'higher'. I am from the Netherlands and i personally know their system is completely insane. You will have people on the line knowing nothing, wrong addresses to send your complaints, orignal documents getting lost, you name it and the Dutch will do it.

I suggest asking a visa from Germany or Austria. Knowledgable people, very friendly and trying to help.

As this is a Schengen visa it will also enable you to go to France and Italy.

My GF just left the Dutch Embassy in London a few minutes ago.

Her dutch visa has been refused because her residency card is not issued on a passport but it is issued on a paper.

They gave her a letter and told to ask the home office to obtain a new label on the passport.

We went to the Dutch because we are not married and they recognised the un-married partnership while French and Italians don't (we are going to do a few days in Amsterdam, Paris and Milan) (which means free visa).

Anyway...

I've called the French and the Italians on their premium rates (£1gbp/min) and I'm still unsure if they can issue a (tourist) visa or if they will reply as the Dutch did...is there anyone that could help with this?

(In the meantime we will try with the Home Office)

g.

Strange indeed; are you talking UK residency card ?

Strange and maybe the one who talked to you in the Embassy didn't know the rules her/himself.

Can't you ask a tourist visa with the Belgium Embassy or ask the Home Office to phone the Dutch Embassy; better hurry...it's Friday afternoon....

Surely your gf isn't the only one in the UK with a residency card.

Must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

LaoPo

Strange and maybe the one who talked to you in the Embassy didn't know the rules her/himself.

Can't you ask a tourist visa with the Belgium Embassy or ask the Home Office to phone the Dutch Embassy; better hurry...it's Friday afternoon....

LaoPo

She has a UK residency card that expires in dec-2012 (after her passport expires). It has been issued as EEA Family Member (I'm Italian).

We tried with the Dutch because I didn't want to pay £45 for the visa (Italians & French do not recognize de-facto relationships).

The problem with asking for a German/Austrian/Swedish visa is that we don't plan to go in any of those countries in the near future....

g.

LaoPo

She has a UK residency card that expires in dec-2012 (after her passport expires). It has been issued as EEA Family Member (I'm Italian).

We tried with the Dutch because I didn't want to pay £45 for the visa (Italians & French do not recognize de-facto relationships).

The problem with asking for a German/Austrian/Swedish visa is that we don't plan to go in any of those countries in the near future....

g.

I'm afraid I don't follow you....

A Visa for any country in the Schengen area would cost (most likely*) the same and you are entitled to travel within ALL Schengen countries, no matter which country supplied the Visa.

* If I'm wrong I will hear it, no doubt :o

LaoPo

A Visa for any country in the Schengen area would cost (most likely*) the same and you are entitled to travel within ALL Schengen countries, no matter which country supplied the Visa.

LaoPo

Ok, this is the story. Schengen for countries such as the Netherlands, Sweden and a few more (I think Spain, Hungary and the other Scandinavian country) we can ask for a EEA Family member permit because they recognize a stable and durable relationship if you can provide documents that attest the relationship dating back no less than 2 yrs.

Italy and France DO NOT have this so you need to ask for a Tourist Visa that cost 60EUR.

After posting, I've called a few embassies and the only one I've been able to speak with was the Swedish embassy. A very nice guy told me that is a European Rule that requires a residency card endorsed on the passport if you want to get a Schengen Visa.

As a matter of fact the Dutch gave my gf a letter that says something like 'your residency card has to be endorsed, security guards at borders DO NOT know that this is a valid document'.

g.

It is probably the worst decision to go to the Dutch embassy. The Dutch have mistakenly the name to be hospitable, however if you look throughout their history there are just two brief periods in which they welcomed foreigners. The new politicians over there are goons. You stand a ten times better chance to get a visa at the French, the Spanish or Italian embassy. Best is to book a sightseeing trip the chances that you will get a visa are huge. The only downside is that they mostly issue a one month instead of a three month visa.

I am also Dutch, and to prevent any problems when I am taking my wife (already for over 5 years) to Holland, I have my parents send her an invitation (which the girls handling the visa request can't read because they don't speak any Dutch), and vouch for her. That is for me the only sure way to get her a visa..I have heard from others, that especially the french embassy will be a lot smoother.

BTW, how long (and expensive) would the home office route be?

Strange remark Nemo,

I am married 6 years and we have 2 children. Still very difficult to get a visa. I always need someone else to guarantee for her, even if we live here (house, school, etc) and just want to visit the Netherlands for a few weeks. They are treating everybody as a criminal or at least need someone they can blame if they by accident give a visa to someone who is not returning home. Tjee, who want to stay in such a country anyway.

Yes , the Dutch Embassy is very very strict and suspicious. But sometimes it helps if you write The ministry of Foreign affairs, they are the head and are more reasonable then the Embassy personnel. But as far as I know you can only get a visum for the country of entering Europe and you do need an extra visa for the country you will stay for a longer period. IF you do want a visa for Long stay she will have to apply in Bangkok again. You are entering as a tourist.

Well,

few more infos.

1) Just spoke with a guy at work who has a bit of experience with Visa matters (He is singaporean, everyone else at work are Brit, Europeans or Americans so don't know much about it). He said that from his experience obtaining a Dutch visa is really hard. He suggested us to go to the Germans or Austrians.

2) My gf just spoke with an old classmate from when she was @ chulalongkorn. This girl is now studying here and working part-time (so student visa and limited cash to spend). She asked for a tourist visa to the Italian consulate and got a 1 year visa with 90 days stay!!! (Much more than what the Italian consulate in Sydney gave my gf in the past even tough she had heaps of reasons for leaving the country..but anyway...).

So..we decided to mail all our papers to the Home Office and start calling them on Monday. If we don't get the visa endorsed on the passport in three weeks we are going to have everything returned and will see if the Italians are more reasonable (my gf has been in Italy three times for a total of 27 days in the last 6 months). In the meantime we've booked for another interview with the Dutch (first date 9th of May).

g.

Strange remark Nemo,

I am married 6 years and we have 2 children. Still very difficult to get a visa. I always need someone else to guarantee for her, even if we live here (house, school, etc) and just want to visit the Netherlands for a few weeks. They are treating everybody as a criminal or at least need someone they can blame if they by accident give a visa to someone who is not returning home. Tjee, who want to stay in such a country anyway.

Khun Jean there is nothing offensive in it at all, it merely means to get married.

LaoPo

I believe the catch is that if a country issues a Schengen visa you MUST enter that country first before you are allowed to visit any of the other Schengen countries.

You can't apply for a Schengen visa at embassy from country A and then travel directly to country B, you would have to get your visa stamped by immigration at country A before country B will honor your visa.

^. No that is not the case.

The 'rule' is that you get a visa for the country where you will spend most of the time. Irrelevant if you enter another country first. But even that rule is just aguidance not an absolute.

The agreement is that countries can apply their OWN rules ONLY to their OWN citizens (for their spouses, friends who want to have a visa).

The OP is from the UK so ALL other countries in the Schengen area have to use the European rules. Unfortunately they don't know it (or pretend to don't know it). Fighting this ignorance is difficult. Better to ask a visa in countries where they have educated employees. Until now i found out that the most knowledgable are to be found in Germany and Austria. Let's say it is that these countries are known for their 'Grundlichkeit'. A quality not shared by many other countries.

The Dutch have a more 'i don't give a sh!t' attitude, hence the difficulties getting a visa even when all requirements are met.

LaoPo

Ok, this is the story. Schengen for countries such as the Netherlands, Sweden and a few more (I think Spain, Hungary and the other Scandinavian country) we can ask for a EEA Family member permit because they recognize a stable and durable relationship if you can provide documents that attest the relationship dating back no less than 2 yrs.

Italy and France DO NOT have this so you need to ask for a Tourist Visa that cost 60EUR.

After posting, I've called a few embassies and the only one I've been able to speak with was the Swedish embassy. A very nice guy told me that is a European Rule that requires a residency card endorsed on the passport if you want to get a Schengen Visa.

As a matter of fact the Dutch gave my gf a letter that says something like 'your residency card has to be endorsed, security guards at borders DO NOT know that this is a valid document'.

g.

1. I was referring to YOUR sentence: "We tried with the Dutch because I didn't want to pay £45 for the visa " meaning that you have to pay the same whatever the Embassy you apply with

2. It would have been much better if you would have accompanied your gf (long term relationship but not married) to the Dutch Embassy when she applied for a visa.

You could either try again or have the Home Office phone the Embassy to explain the situation (or send them an email/fax)

Also, if you have a visa for another country it's no problem to visit Holland first. There are several ways to travel from the UK to the mainland, train or ferry not just by plane.

Friends, married Chinese girl and Norway guy traveled from Shanghai to Bergen/Norway via a stop in Holland, went through customs/passport control in Amsterdam for a few hours to give my wife a present parcel...no problem. Since their plane from Shanghai arrived much too late (and missed their plane to Bergen) they had to stay the whole night and preferred to stay outside the customs/passport area.

LaoPo

1. I was referring to YOUR sentence: "We tried with the Dutch because I didn't want to pay £45 for the visa " meaning that you have to pay the same whatever the Embassy you apply with

2. It would have been much better if you would have accompanied your gf (long term relationship but not married) to the Dutch Embassy when she applied for a visa.

You could either try again or have the Home Office phone the Embassy to explain the situation (or send them an email/fax)

Also, if you have a visa for another country it's no problem to visit Holland first. There are several ways to travel from the UK to the mainland, train or ferry not just by plane.

Friends, married Chinese girl and Norway guy traveled from Shanghai to Bergen/Norway via a stop in Holland, went through customs/passport control in Amsterdam for a few hours to give my wife a present parcel...no problem. Since their plane from Shanghai arrived much too late (and missed their plane to Bergen) they had to stay the whole night and preferred to stay outside the customs/passport area.

LaoPo

1. Well, you pay if you ask for a tourist visa. The EEA Family member visa that we asked was free-of-charge. The French and Italians do not recognized long-term relationship so the only way to get a visa is to apply for a tourist visa (and therefore pay the 45 quid fee).

2. We do have Eurostar tickets for France and we booked an interview with them for mid-may..will see (last resort)

3. I know about the visa rule. We chosen Holland because it was free of charge. We do have tickets for Italy and France. However, those two have been excluded because they charge a fee. Also, when emailed requesting info the Dutch replied saying 'all good', the Italians replied saying only tourist visa and the French didn't reply at all.

4. We are now waiting for the Home-Office reply about the application. The Dutch person just didn't give a shit about calling the home-office. She knew the UK EEA Family permit member is valid but she applied their policy that don't allow Schengen visa to be issued if the Visa is not endorsed to the passport. Full stop. Explanations & Talks were just a waste of time. Plus, my original plan was to go to the interview but then...a colleague resigned another one was sick so it was 2 out of 4 on my team and my boss said 'forget about going to the interview'.

g.

Just for the record

I am Dutch too.

am married and we have 2 children.

we live in Thailand and as you house school etc...still they the dutch embassy refused my wife a visa a couple of years ago.

I do agree that they are tuff on visas. for me personaly NO problem.

I do NOT agree with your remark...."who want to live in a country like the Netherlands".

As it turns out to be.......a lot of Dutch people(including me) recieve pension or disability allowens from the Netherlands and furthermore a lot of these people (NOT me) where criticising the Dutch goverment for years on their soft approach towards foreigners getting IN SO EASY in The Netherlands.

For whatever part you played in The Netherlands...never forget how lucky you are to have been born there.

as for my part?????

sure ...sometimes i get annoyed too.

but 1 thing is for sure....I am PROUD to be a Duchtman !!!!!!!!

HGMA

Strange remark Nemo,

post-28792-1208820983.jpg

I think it depends a lot where you grew up in the Netherlands. I had a nice youth in Amsterdam, my teen years were good, my twenties too. My thirties were more difficult as more and more problems arose with immigrants that took over the 'streets'. Cars were demolished, windows broken every few weeks etc. Crime going out of hand, police under staffed. I moved, the problems followed a few years later. So i moved again, this time 11 hours flying to the east. Amsterdam is only 25% dutch the rest is foreigner, unfortunately not the nice kind of foreigners. No families and children, more the hardened criminals who see oppertunities. (Think former Yougoslavians, Russians).

For having my own business i was 'punished' with high taxes, unability to buy a house because 'rules', unable to get my wife to the Netherlands etc..

HGMA you have a pension so you have had more of the good years in the Netherlands. Older people are very frustrated as they see their savings evaporate and their pensions not keeping up with costs. My 91 year old grandmother is one of those. Worked hard all her live and to get what?

Problems really started with Maroccan youth. And the easy rules to get familymembers to the Netherlands.

It grew out of hand because no checks were made. Now that it is far too late to correct this situation the doors are shut.

I went to Austria and my wife got a 10 year residency card. 60 euro, took 1 week. In the Netherlands you first have to do a 'inburgering' course in Thailand, have a job (your own business is much more difficult) pay 850 euro and when you are very lucky you get 1 year. Every renewal is another 850 euro. It is against every European rule and even against the Human rights. Do they care, absolutely not. Do i want to fight it, no because the Netherlands has lost all its worth for me. Borders are open and the great 'equalising' is taking place. Hordes of eastern Europeans are choosing the Netherlands as there new home, and who can blame them. The transition period is volatile, that is why i don't want to live there, also Austria which gave us a 10 year residency is not what it was before. It is overrun by Hungarians which have a completely different culture. It clashes and it gives people reasons to long back to years gone by. Give it one or two generations time and it will be allright, adjustments will have taken place, countries identities will have merged, wealth spread to more people. All good things!

But not now, now is the time for cultural clashes and with that unfortunatly you have 'unhappy' transitional times.

I have good memories, but i think my future is better outside of The Netherlands (Europe).

To get on topic all the above of this rant is actually relavant. :o

It shaped the immigration rules as they are now. And tough are they. Almost like a Berlin wall, but this one invisible and in the form of regulations.

One of the problems when in 'transition'.

And just to prove the point.

I went to the Dutch embassy last friday to get a tourist visa for my wife. Denied unless i prove a lot of things and have a relative that can guarantee her return.

This morning, Austria embassy, done and for free! (Marriage certificate, previous visas, bank statement)

And just for the record. I am also proud of many Dutch things and especially their people who are one of the most friendly and good hearted on this earth, only not the government, they are just a disgrace to its people. But again when people are not happy with their lot in live, it is easy to blame it on the foreigners and vote for parties that promise tough measures. And as i mentioned before the Moroccan youth although a small group really destroyed the image of the foreigners.

Edited by Khun Jean

Ok, just a quick update.

I've called the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After speaking with 6 people (excl. receptionists). I've got the following answers:

1- It's not me. I don't know (x2)

2- It's my colleague

3- I'm to busy to take call this week. Call back next week

4- You don't need a Visa you are EU Cit (<deleted>!! I know I don't need a visa, it is for my gf!!!)

5- Send an email to [email protected] (their generic address)...

Well, after this...I've finally managed to receive a reply:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. I have forwarded your request to the competent member of this office.

It might take some time before we get a reaction because of the upcoming holidays.

Kind regards,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Movement of Persons, Migration and

Alien Affairs Department

Aliens and Visas Division

Visa-section (ms)

The Hague

Just wanted to highlight that there is no name for the person that handled the request. There is no name of the person in charge for this request. And 'it might take some time' is quite scaring...

g.

I think it depends a lot where you grew up in the Netherlands. I had a nice youth in Amsterdam, my teen years were good, my twenties too. My thirties were more difficult as more and more problems arose with immigrants that took over the 'streets'. Cars were demolished, windows broken every few weeks etc. Crime going out of hand, police under staffed. I moved, the problems followed a few years later. So i moved again, this time 11 hours flying to the east. Amsterdam is only 25% dutch the rest is foreigner, unfortunately not the nice kind of foreigners. No families and children, more the hardened criminals who see oppertunities. (Think former Yougoslavians, Russians).

For having my own business i was 'punished' with high taxes, unability to buy a house because 'rules', unable to get my wife to the Netherlands etc..

HGMA you have a pension so you have had more of the good years in the Netherlands. Older people are very frustrated as they see their savings evaporate and their pensions not keeping up with costs. My 91 year old grandmother is one of those. Worked hard all her live and to get what?

Problems really started with Maroccan youth. And the easy rules to get familymembers to the Netherlands.

It grew out of hand because no checks were made. Now that it is far too late to correct this situation the doors are shut.

I went to Austria and my wife got a 10 year residency card. 60 euro, took 1 week. In the Netherlands you first have to do a 'inburgering' course in Thailand, have a job (your own business is much more difficult) pay 850 euro and when you are very lucky you get 1 year. Every renewal is another 850 euro. It is against every European rule and even against the Human rights. Do they care, absolutely not. Do i want to fight it, no because the Netherlands has lost all its worth for me. Borders are open and the great 'equalising' is taking place. Hordes of eastern Europeans are choosing the Netherlands as there new home, and who can blame them. The transition period is volatile, that is why i don't want to live there, also Austria which gave us a 10 year residency is not what it was before. It is overrun by Hungarians which have a completely different culture. It clashes and it gives people reasons to long back to years gone by. Give it one or two generations time and it will be allright, adjustments will have taken place, countries identities will have merged, wealth spread to more people. All good things!

But not now, now is the time for cultural clashes and with that unfortunatly you have 'unhappy' transitional times.

I have good memories, but i think my future is better outside of The Netherlands (Europe).

To get on topic all the above of this rant is actually relavant. :D

It shaped the immigration rules as they are now. And tough are they. Almost like a Berlin wall, but this one invisible and in the form of regulations.

One of the problems when in 'transition'.

And just to prove the point.

I went to the Dutch embassy last friday to get a tourist visa for my wife. Denied unless i prove a lot of things and have a relative that can guarantee her return.

This morning, Austria embassy, done and for free! (Marriage certificate, previous visas, bank statement)

And just for the record. I am also proud of many Dutch things and especially their people who are one of the most friendly and good hearted on this earth, only not the government, they are just a disgrace to its people. But again when people are not happy with their lot in live, it is easy to blame it on the foreigners and vote for parties that promise tough measures. And as i mentioned before the Moroccan youth although a small group really destroyed the image of the foreigners.

I feel sad for you Khun Jean and for Sjaak327 as well.... :D

I could counter your words with many other words but I refrain because most of it is heavily overdone. To attack your own country like this is a shame and a pity as well. For a few decades you were part of that country you were born in and took advantage of, but to bash it like you did is 'not done'.

I have never seen a Brit, German, Frenchman, American or Ozzie, here on TV, do the same about their country like you just did about Holland.

I met my wife some 5 years ago and we followed the rules, set by the government.

Results ?

First she came on a tourist visa; the second visit was on a MVV visa; she studied Dutch and English, day and night, and she succeeded for her Driving Exam (in Dutch !) the first time, within 5 months of her second arrival.

She officially 'integrated' in 10 months (!) where 5 years is allowed.

In the meantime she built her own small business, created her own website (she did that 100% herself !) and is building another new business right now.

What makes her case so different than your case or Sjaak327's, and I think both of you met your Ladies earlier than I did... ?

Maybe you guys planned something wrong yourselves in the first place...?

Note: KJ: you wrote that you&wife were granted a 10 year residency in Austria; so why do you need to get a tourist visa ? :o

LaoPo

"I feel sad for you Khun Jean and for Sjaak327 as well"

There is no need to feel sad for me, I'm just calling a spade a spade nothing more and nothing less.

"What makes her case so different than your case or Sjaak327's, and I think both of you met your Ladies earlier than I did... ? "

Nothing, except for the fact that 5 years ago it was much less difficult to obtain an MVV then it is now.

I know my Lao partner for 4 years (male by the way) and we only planned to go to the Netherlands about 1,5 years ago. By that time, a tourist visa was (and is currently) easy to obain (he is currently in the Netherlands on his fourth schengen visa).

Obtaining an MVV however is much more difficult. Instead of having the time to learn the language and the customs of the country, he can only do it outside of our borders, he needs to pass an exam, and there is no way to go to the ROC or similar institutions, as they don't take on students on tourist visas.

He speaks Dutch reasonably now, probably at a level in which he can actually pass that exam. The fact that he needs to do that at the Dutch embassy in Bangkok as opposed to the Netherlands is a downright shame. I as a tax paying and law abiding citizen of the Netherlands are denied the right to free choice of partner, I cannot look any other way to this.

I'm not slagging off my country, just the narrow minded politicians and the people that have voted for them. The Netherlands has always been described as a tolerant country, but you don't have to look all to deep to figure out that this is not the case.

Of course next time around he is going to take that exam, and I think he has a good chance of passing it, then we can apply for the MVV, but still I''m pretty crossed with all the hoops we have to go through.

Edited by sjaak327

Nothing, except for the fact that 5 years ago it was much less difficult to obtain an MVV then it is now.

I know my Lao partner for 4 years (male by the way) and we only planned to go to the Netherlands about 1,5 years ago. By that time, a tourist visa was (and is currently) easy to obain (he is currently in the Netherlands on his fourth schengen visa).

Obtaining an MVV however is much more difficult. Instead if having the time to learn the language and the customs of the country, he can only do it outside of our borders, he needs to pass an exam, and there is no way to go to the ROC or similar institutions, as they don't take on students on tourist visas.

He speaks Dutch reasonably now, probably at a level in which he can actually pass that exam. The fact that he needs to do that at the Dutch embassy in Bangkok as opposed to the Netherlands is a downright shame. I as a tax paying and law abiding citizen of the Netherlands are denied the right to free choice of partner, I cannot look any other way to this.

I'm not slagging off my country, just the narrow minded politicians and the people that have voted for them. The Netherlands has always been described as a tolerant country, but you don't have to look all to deep to figure out that this is not the case.

Of course next time around he is going to take that exam, and I think he has a good chance of passing it, then we can apply for the MVV, but still I''m pretty crossed with all the hoops we have to go through.

I agree that it is more difficult now, thanks to ex-Minister Mrs. Rita Verdonk.... :o

We applied for a MVV in the middle of 2004 and I think the new laws went into effect by early/middle 2006 or even in 2007; and I'm talking about doing the exam at a Dutch Embassy.

The point is that honest people like you, Khun Jean and myself are facing difficulties with visa because of abuse of the laws previously by lots of people who broke the laws on a grand scale.

The good thing for your bf is that a high percentage of people who are doing the exam succeed !

Wish you luck though !

LaoPo

Thanks !

I'm confident that he will pass that exam, I think after these three months, that he just has to do it and take it from there.

Then I'm hoping that the actual application for the MVV won't be too difficult and what I hear it takes around three months, which of course currently is also the time he has to spend outside the Netherlands before he can come back.