Beer Prices

binnsy

Enjoy it while you can. There is a world wide shortage of barley malt and hops due to a decline in production and greatly increasing demand. The hop situation probably won't hit the Asian style lagers to hard, but the shortage of barley probably will.

Enjoy it while you can. There is a world wide shortage of barley malt and hops due to a decline in production and greatly increasing demand. The hop situation probably won't hit the Asian style lagers to hard, but the shortage of barley probably will.

Strange that these days there is a shortage of just everything.Rice,oil,water,milk and now hop and barley.Do I smell speculation?

Strange that these days there is a shortage of just everything.Rice,oil,water,milk and now hop and barley.Do I smell speculation?

For beer ingredients, not really. For many years there was a hop surplus that was converted into hop extract. This led to a decrease in the amount of hops that were being grown commercially. Fewer people are planting barley as well and are instead planting crops that receive higher subsidies (can you say the great American corn culture). Couple this with double digit growth in beer consumption and the higher prices are not that surprising.

Sssscccchhhhhhh! Don't shout about it or we'll have all the Pattaya bashing holy Joes flooding the place, drinking all the beer, sh@gging all the ho's and posting on TV what a terrible place Pattaya is and how it should be moved out into the boonies (preferrable about 100 metres from their place).

There is a world wide shortage of barley malt and hops due to a decline in production and greatly increasing demand. The hop situation probably won't hit the Asian style lagers to hard, but the shortage of barley probably will.

Australia will export live kangaroos into Thailand. That should take care of the "hop" situation. :o

Thailand is becoming as expensive as Farangland to be entertained now, whether it's beer or other adult entertainment.

At an expensive bar in Cambodia you can pay $2 (60 bt) a beer but most of the bars sell it for $1 (30bt).

And the girls, well, far better looking and a lot better attitude for less than half the kep dang.

Thailand is becoming as expensive as Farangland to be entertained now, whether it's beer or other adult entertainment.

At an expensive bar in Cambodia you can pay $2 (60 bt) a beer but most of the bars sell it for $1 (30bt).

And the girls, well, far better looking and a lot better attitude for less than half the kep dang.

See ya then.

The next few years will be interesting if prices continue to go up... How much is a pint or bottle in the UK nowdays?

To my mind it's the profit margin not the production cost that makes the difference. Going back a few years admittedly I used to by a 4 bottle pack of Bud (I know it's not really beer but I liked it!) for stg4.00 i.e. stg1 per bottle at the supermarket. In a bar the price was always between stg2 & stg2.50, quite a hike but nothing compared to buying a bottle of Chang here on Walking Street. Supermarket 19 Baht Crappy outdoor bar with view of street 85 Baht.

As I said it ain't what it costs it's what they charge for it!

The next few years will be interesting if prices continue to go up... How much is a pint or bottle in the UK nowdays?

To my mind it's the profit margin not the production cost that makes the difference. Going back a few years admittedly I used to by a 4 bottle pack of Bud (I know it's not really beer but I liked it!) for stg4.00 i.e. stg1 per bottle at the supermarket. In a bar the price was always between stg2 & stg2.50, quite a hike but nothing compared to buying a bottle of Chang here on Walking Street. Supermarket 19 Baht Crappy outdoor bar with view of street 85 Baht.

As I said it ain't what it costs it's what they charge for it!

But lots of bars in Pattaya with Bt 40 or less Chang, Tiger, Singha.

Naka.

• 3 weeks later...
WOW !!!Pattaya has the beating of Bangkok for prices!EXEPT THE BARS WITH SAME OWNERSHIP AS THOSE IN BANGKOK,Angelwitch etc

getting too dear here for me i'm heading to khon kaen to try it out,hear it's not bangers or pats but is very o.k.

:o:D:D

It's still really cheap in Thailand compared to the west. A bottle of Heinken will cost you 3 quid in most London bars, that's around 180B. I can sit in a Patts beer bar on Walking and drink it for 70B or in a gogo for around a 100B

Went to the an ordinary pub here in Worthing, Sussex, yesterday and it was £3.15 for a pint of Fosters which is cat's wee I know so imagine how much it would cost to get cained, but even the old barmaid wouldn't turn into anything special, that would take a month's wages of drinking the wee.