Cobra Attack, Hospital Rips Off The Farang?

traveller5000

During songkran I was having a midday nap and my dog makes some barking noises. I have a look out the window and see that he is barking towards the front door. Stupid dog I think to myself, he is probably barking at a small lizard or something. I check anyhow and as I step down out of the room I see a Cobra flaring up and hissing about 30cm from the bedroom door. It was a big one, about 1.5 meters long or longer and easily as fat as a large tube of toothpaste. I have a peek around the corner again and see he is slithering away from me but goes right past the front door to the other side of the room and sits in a corner. I tell the girlfriend I got no experience with snake catching or removal, so she goes and gets the neighbour, who I assume has some experience at these types of things. While she is gone, the cobra basically curled itself up between the wall and the bedroom door in a very safe spot. The neighbours come with various tools and proceed to crowbar and poke the snake out of its hole. The thing is hissing like mad at this stage. Suddenly it sticks its head out flares and spits at one of the neighbours in the eye. The tap was right next to him so he washed it while the other neighbour bludgeoned the snake to death. I race off to the local hospital with this guy and the doc says he has to stay overnight.

The guys eye was fine in the end, just some stinging for a few hours. And they kept the cobra, chopped it up, gave it to some of the other neighbours and made some soup out of it (despite having sprayed the hel_l out of it with a can of flyspray). Apparently it is a rare delicacy.

I was relieved the guy was fine, that was exactly the outcome I wanted, but when the bill came it seemed excessive - a little over 2000 baht for a bed, 3 meals, 3 check-ups by the doctor, and an eyewash. The hospital was nothing fancy at all. Anyhow, perhaps I am paranoid about the double pricing system over here but 2000+ baht did seem like an overcharge. My feeling is if I were just a regular Thai it would have been significantly less. curious to know if others think this amount sounds like a rip-off. ?

So, this cobra wasn't about to attack you/eat your children, you call your girlfriend because she's thai and knows what to do (?), like evaporate the bloody snake, and she calls her equally dimwitted neighbours who you end up having to take to hospital and you're complaining about a lousy 2000 baht hospital bill. Am I up to speed? Fool. Christ. I see so many posts on here whining about the Thais wanting to send all the farang back to farangland. Let's face it. Who can blame them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did not read his story but want to say why not "blue eyed farang" or "60 kilo farang"....why do you decide to say hospital ripped off farang and not ripped off human being?

So why you call yourself "youngfarang13" if you don't like the word "farang" so much? shouldn't you call your "younglady13" or "younghumanbeing" or something ?

Um. I think the Thais refer to both foreign males and females as er, farang. Idiot.

As a whinging foreigner I'd initially be unhappy about a 2,000 baht bill too.

If I then took a step back and considered the costs, I'd be happy. Thai hospitals seem to offer good service at a good rate. I've been to a couple of upcountry hospitals on occassion and they were far superior to North Middx Hospital that I used to attend in London, never mind my times at the luxury hospitals in Bangkok where the costs are still proportionatey very low. Sirirat, Bumrumgrad... pound for pound the best hospitals (treatment / cost) in the World.

In London, I'd have waited several hours (spent with surly nurses and admin) awaiting a doctor, been treated badly and sent home - all at a large cost...

[This the first and last time I will praise this country! - The hospitals are very very good and cheap. :o ]

But you'd be okay with losing your eyesight then?

I am sorry for the snake

Not me, can't feel sorry for the cobra. Of course it would have been better if somebody could have whisked away the cobra back into the weeds but it was in the man's house for God's sake!

Can't pity the poisonous snakes of Thailand when they make their way into our homes, especially the King Cobra which has an absolutely terrifying presence. I'd be lucky not to croak on the spot just seeing one that close!

Kinda like a land mine: if you accidently step on one, you are likely dead. (I don't feel sorry for the land mines either)

Edited by Lopburi99

its not about the money, it is the principle. The girlfriend says I probably got overcharged but I wanted a second opinion.

I agree. But you guys are a bunch of bad investigators--no one has asked the key question yet: Was it a private hospital or government hospital?

If it was private, then I'd say the charge was about right.

If it was public/government, then treatment to a Thai citizen should have been for free.

<deleted> :o

I am sorry for the snake

Not me, can't feel sorry for the cobra. Of course it would have been better if somebody could have whisked away the cobra back into the weeds but it was in the man's house for God's sake!

Can't pity the poisonous snakes of Thailand when they make their way into our homes, especially the King Cobra which has an absolutely terrifying presence. I'd be lucky not to croak on the spot just seeing one that close!

Kinda like a land mine: if you accidently step on one, you are likely dead. (I don't feel sorry for the land mines either)

There was an American who posted very proudly that he could kill all snakes in his pretty big area. It needed around 6 month and he was screaming for help as he has a huge amount of rats.....

Last time we had a poisonous snake my wife asked around and there was a former monk who can catch them without doing any harm and bring them somewhere far away (neither kill, sell or eat them).

I am sorry for the snake

Ah No! Wot? Here in Thailand? In Asia? Where there are a lot of, snakes! Jeezuz

Baht 2000 - for treatment in a hospital after ben spat in the eye by a cobra - expensive?

Quite reasonable, if you ask me. Whats that work out to - about $60 - for a bed overnight, meals, the service of a nurse and a doctor!

Try a private hospital - you won't get thorugh the front door!

Just what were you expecting it be?

its not about the money, it is the principle. The girlfriend says I probably got overcharged but I wanted a second opinion.

Between the lines, the message reads, you have no respect for Thai people and that their services should not be equaled to that in the West.

How much do you expect to pay for professional services?

Moaning deprecate.

Edited by sassienie

Between the lines, the message reads, you have no respect for Thai people and that their services should not be equaled to that in the West.

How much do you expect to pay for professional services?

Moaning deprecate.

If the OP is that hard up to start complaining about a THB 2000 hospital bill, please send me a PM and I will send you the money......Bl**dy hel_l...someone gets cobra venom in the eye and this f*kcwit complains about a $60 bill ..!!!! :o ....

Yes... you were ripped off, afterall you are a Farang after all....

2,000 is fair enough. All of you were lucky, a cobra is one mean ass snake when cornered. Count your blessings.

Imagine if it had gotten into the house unnoticed and bit someone later. And the value having a dog. Good doggie!

Now another snakebite joke...

3 guys go on a camping, fishing trip far off in the wilderness.

One guy while taking a leak is bitten by a rattlesnake on his penis. The other 2 are in shock.

They are afraid to move him due the concern of speeding up the venom to his heart.

They decide to go to the nearest town for help. They get to town, find the only doctor, but he is too busy to go with them.

He tells them they can do the emergency treatment themselves. Cut the wound, suck out the venom, tie it off etc.

They race back to their friend.

'

Where's the doctor?'

'He couldn't come, he had other emergencies'

He couldn't come! Well what did he say?!!!!

'He says you are going to die'

:o

Another nice little snake story:

A baby snake slithers up to his mum and asks, "mum, are we poisonous snakes or constrictors?"

Mum snake said to baby snake, "we are constrictors" to which the baby snake replied,

"thank <deleted> for that, I've just bitten my lip".

During songkran I was having a midday nap and my dog makes some barking noises. I have a look out the window and see that he is barking towards the front door. Stupid dog I think to myself, he is probably barking at a small lizard or something. I check anyhow and as I step down out of the room I see a Cobra flaring up and hissing about 30cm from the bedroom door. It was a big one, about 1.5 meters long or longer and easily as fat as a large tube of toothpaste. I have a peek around the corner again and see he is slithering away from me but goes right past the front door to the other side of the room and sits in a corner. I tell the girlfriend I got no experience with snake catching or removal, so she goes and gets the neighbour, who I assume has some experience at these types of things. While she is gone, the cobra basically curled itself up between the wall and the bedroom door in a very safe spot. The neighbours come with various tools and proceed to crowbar and poke the snake out of its hole. The thing is hissing like mad at this stage. Suddenly it sticks its head out flares and spits at one of the neighbours in the eye. The tap was right next to him so he washed it while the other neighbour bludgeoned the snake to death. I race off to the local hospital with this guy and the doc says he has to stay overnight.

Havent you got anything better todo than sit here and write such <deleted>?????

What a knob. 2000 baht is it to much........... get a life man.

The guys eye was fine in the end, just some stinging for a few hours. And they kept the cobra, chopped it up, gave it to some of the other neighbours and made some soup out of it (despite having sprayed the hel_l out of it with a can of flyspray). Apparently it is a rare delicacy.

I was relieved the guy was fine, that was exactly the outcome I wanted, but when the bill came it seemed excessive - a little over 2000 baht for a bed, 3 meals, 3 check-ups by the doctor, and an eyewash. The hospital was nothing fancy at all. Anyhow, perhaps I am paranoid about the double pricing system over here but 2000+ baht did seem like an overcharge. My feeling is if I were just a regular Thai it would have been significantly less. curious to know if others think this amount sounds like a rip-off. ?