Prediction Phuket Tourism Will Be A Thing Of The Past

RICHFROMOZ

Just returned from a short trip to Krabi and Ao Nang and was surprised to see that by comparison, both seem much more heavily populated by tourists than Patong or Kata. Our hotel in Ao Nang reported 73% occupancy. My best sense is that there is a gradual shift away from Phuket to other places, including those already mentioned.

Hope so.

Low season now in Phuket.

You went on holiday and asked the hotel what the occupancy rate was? Must have been a great trip... :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all who have said Phuket has lost whatever charm it may of at once had. Sure, there is more development, which is both a good and bad thing like anywhere, but the main problem is the growing lack of infrastructure. Like all resort areas of Thailand, the private development races ahead of the public utilities and you end up with shortages of everything...water, sewage disposal, garbage disposal, electricity.

Also, as tropical islands go, Phuket is nothing special either scenically or ecologically. Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines have much prettier and pristine places to offer...but Phuket is certainly more developed, easily assessable, and more of a "party" destination. If they want, with China and India's middle-classes each equaling the entire populations of the EU and America, and growing yearly, they could flog off package holidays in these markets to Phuket for the next 100 years and still not run out of customers :o

The first time I went to Phuket, I thought it must have been the most beautiful place on the planet (OK...I was about 9 years old at the time...but still.) I've been back several times since then and still thought it was beautiful. Haven't been back recently though, I'll try to visit Phuket again soon. I bet that it's not as bad as some on here made it out to be. Some people are just so negative about almost everything in Thailand that I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously.

The first time I went to Phuket, I thought it must have been the most beautiful place on the planet (OK...I was about 9 years old at the time...but still.) I've been back several times since then and still thought it was beautiful. Haven't been back recently though, I'll try to visit Phuket again soon. I bet that it's not as bad as some on here made it out to be. Some people are just so negative about almost everything in Thailand that I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously.

Oh Yes. it is very beautiful. Make sure you visit Bangla Rd of course, very classy upmarlet bars and restaurants. Im sure it will be exactly as you remembered when you were 9.

Some people are just so negative about almost everything in Thailand that I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously.

We just don't see Thailand through rose-coloured glasses like so many visitors do. But I am interested to learn what you find so "beautiful" about Phuket, and what other places have you been for comparison sakes?

Like I said, Phuket is okay as tropical islands go but nothing very special. What made it special to many Western men in the past was the abundance of alcohol, the Thai sanook culture, and the nitelife. These things are not likely to be much of an attraction to group and family tourists from the emerging Middle Eastern, Indian, and Chinese markets.

Just about all the natural tropical rain forests that may at one time have covered Phuket and been replaced with rubber plantations. Most of the indigenous wildlife has long since fled the island or been sold off to the stewing pots of China. There are not large mountain ranges or volcanoes for eco-trecking nor is there any indiginious culture of any particular note (unless you consider Phuket Fantasea or the Simon cabaret shows to be representative of the island's natives. :o )

The beaches are nice but nothing you won't wind on any tropical island or coastline. The scuba diving in Phanga Bay and Andaman Sea is pretty good but again, nothing world class (except some parts of the Similans and Burma Banks) but these areas are not really part of Phuket proper.

I visit Phuket once or twice a year as it is close and still relatively cheap...but I wouldn't want to live there. When I want a truly spectacular island vacation, it's off to the Philippines or Bali any day.

Oh Yes. it is very beautiful. Make sure you visit Bangla Rd of course, very classy upmarlet bars and restaurants. Im sure it will be exactly as you remembered when you were 9.

Sure, there might be some seedy areas in Phuket. But I highly doubt that it's an accurate depiction of the entire island. If there are better areas on the island, why keep sticking yourself in the places you dislike and passionately insist on telling everyone that the entire island is a "hellhole"?

We just don't see Thailand through rose-coloured glasses like so many visitors do. But I am interested to learn what you find so "beautiful" about Phuket, and what other places have you been for comparison sakes?

Well I was nine at the time, so there weren't exactly that many places I'd been to to compare Phuket with. The place in Phuket that I thought was the most beautiful was "Lam Promtep" (spelling?.) Not sure what it's called in English (I'm Thai.) But I did think (when I was nine) that it must have been designed and created by some sort of God...(and I was a Buddhist. Still am though.)

Also I don't see why some of you have to get upset if some people find Phuket beautiful and worth multiple visits. It's all personal choices and experiences. If someone's happy with the place, how does it exactly affect you personally so much so that you have to insist on attacking him/her with phrases like people with "rose-coloured glasses"? What's the problem with people being happy (in Phuket)?

Just about all the natural tropical rain forests that may at one time have covered Phuket and been replaced with rubber plantations. Most of the indigenous wildlife has long since fled the island or been sold off to the stewing pots of China.

You really are misinformed. There never was any rainforest on Phuket. the stuff you see on the hills is officially known as 'degraded forest'.

If you had seen Phuket in the 1950's and 1960's you would have been shocked. Bang Tao and most of inland Phuket was a moon-scape caused by the water cannons of the tin miners. Up until the second world war, Phuket was the worlds biggest supplier of tin. Rubber has been here almost as long. In fact you statement that forests are getting cut down to plant rubber is about 60 years too late. The rubber is now being cut down for housing.

Yes, Bali is beautiful, but, the tourism industry still hasn't recovered from the bombs and the touts in Bali are far more annoying and aggresive than any of the Thai touts in Phuket.

Yes, the Philippines is also very scenic, but, the food is utter crap. The only Asian country that doesn't have an edible cuisine.

Like all places, they have their pros and cons.

I visit Phuket once or twice a year as it is close and still relatively cheap...but I wouldn't want to live there. When I want a truly spectacular island vacation, it's off to the Philippines or Bali any day.

Good for you. You perfer the Philippines and Bali to Phuket. It's your personal choice. So why attack Phuket? May I ask?

Having just revisited Phuket after a break back home in Oz, I can only agree with OP.

Phuket is awful! The food is awful... everything's wayyyy overpriced! And the service was shocking, I got served with attitude if I got served at all. It's dirty - the rooms are not cleaned properly and has anyone seen the state of the Hideaway these days!!!!!!!!! It's slimy!!!

I got quoted 95 dollars for a handbag! Ninety five DOLLARS! That's more that what I'd pay back home!

If a person couldn't help me or wasn't interested, I go 'shhooed' away, quite aggressively at times. I found this to be quite the opposite of that Thai friendliness / smile that you get in other parts of Thailand, and indeed that 'charm' that is sold around the world as a major drawcard for visiting LOS.

Example: I was in need of a good, hearty English breakfast, and remembered the great food that I got last time at the Irish pub. They were doing a 99B big breaky, perfect! But they didn't start serving until 10am. It was 9.50 so I sat down in the garden area outside, with my book, to wait. The next thing I was being shouted at by an irate Thai guy telling me to 'Go! You go now! 10 o clock!!!' I mean he was shouting at me!

yahhhh.... alright... ever heard about customer service dude? and what about manners?

I went round the corner to the other Irish place (which I believe is owner by the same people) and I ordered by 99B breakfast.... being served by the sullenest guy I have ever met... I mean he didn't even look at me, and they call this the land of smiles???

The shrivelled-brown bacon (if it could still be called that) and black on the bottom eggs (foul - I can only assume from a dirty pan - and didn't eat them) were put in front of me - again without so much of a look as a smile.

Over a cup of 70 B tea (stoopidly expensive, but the only decent, drinkable tea I found in the whole of Phuket!!!) I got chatting to an English couple who were here on a package holiday and another guy with his Thai girl.

The English couple had almost left early, due to their room being disgustingly filthy. They had to upgrade their room paying another 350 quid!!!! because it was so dirty and were quite upset. And the response from front desk was friendly...? Not! They had just been to Dubai and had an awesome time. Of course it was more expensive but... what will they tell their friends when they get home... go to Phuket or Dubai? Hmmm... let's think about that one. It doesn't take much to create a bad reputation... Phuket though it seems is intent on doing just that.

The guy with the girl was your typical Patong bloke. Not a chance of getting a girl back home, so comes here and buys one... but hey, even he was leaving Thailand for Vietnam!!! It seems to me that with all these visa changes and price hikes even the long termers dripping cash into the country and propping up the economy are leaving!!!

Who's left?

Phuket? What a hole!

Must be a troll. Strangely I found the above post more funny and ridiculous than upsetting. :D Seemed like he wanted every Thai to smile at him, every single time they interacted with him. :D

Over a cup of 70 B tea

and

They had to upgrade their room paying another 350 quid

:o

Having just revisited Phuket after a break back home in Oz, I can only agree with OP.

Phuket is awful! The food is awful... everything's wayyyy overpriced! And the service was shocking, I got served with attitude if I got served at all. It's dirty - the rooms are not cleaned properly and has anyone seen the state of the Hideaway these days!!!!!!!!! It's slimy!!!

I got quoted 95 dollars for a handbag! Ninety five DOLLARS! That's more that what I'd pay back home!

If a person couldn't help me or wasn't interested, I go 'shhooed' away, quite aggressively at times. I found this to be quite the opposite of that Thai friendliness / smile that you get in other parts of Thailand, and indeed that 'charm' that is sold around the world as a major drawcard for visiting LOS.

Example: I was in need of a good, hearty English breakfast, and remembered the great food that I got last time at the Irish pub. They were doing a 99B big breaky, perfect! But they didn't start serving until 10am. It was 9.50 so I sat down in the garden area outside, with my book, to wait. The next thing I was being shouted at by an irate Thai guy telling me to 'Go! You go now! 10 o clock!!!' I mean he was shouting at me!

yahhhh.... alright... ever heard about customer service dude? and what about manners?

I went round the corner to the other Irish place (which I believe is owner by the same people) and I ordered by 99B breakfast.... being served by the sullenest guy I have ever met... I mean he didn't even look at me, and they call this the land of smiles???

The shrivelled-brown bacon (if it could still be called that) and black on the bottom eggs (foul - I can only assume from a dirty pan - and didn't eat them) were put in front of me - again without so much of a look as a smile.

Over a cup of 70 B tea (stoopidly expensive, but the only decent, drinkable tea I found in the whole of Phuket!!!) I got chatting to an English couple who were here on a package holiday and another guy with his Thai girl.

The English couple had almost left early, due to their room being disgustingly filthy. They had to upgrade their room paying another 350 quid!!!! because it was so dirty and were quite upset. And the response from front desk was friendly...? Not! They had just been to Dubai and had an awesome time. Of course it was more expensive but... what will they tell their friends when they get home... go to Phuket or Dubai? Hmmm... let's think about that one. It doesn't take much to create a bad reputation... Phuket though it seems is intent on doing just that.

The guy with the girl was your typical Patong bloke. Not a chance of getting a girl back home, so comes here and buys one... but hey, even he was leaving Thailand for Vietnam!!! It seems to me that with all these visa changes and price hikes even the long termers dripping cash into the country and propping up the economy are leaving!!!

Who's left?

Phuket? What a hole!

Lightstar be careful what you say, you might get Sir Blurred upset enough to put down his Leo and get up off his barstool. I agree with everything you say. The people who flog how good Phuket is, have just not been anywhere else. FLUSH.

I was wondering the same thing jonniebkk, what do people who live in Phuket find so appealing? I ask in all sincerity because we all have different reasons and tolerances for things, but I'd really like to understand what make Phuket attractive for some people and not others.

When I lived in Phuket, I guess I liked it, and what I didnt like I tolerated. It wasn't till I travelled around Thailand and realised that there were places that suited me more, and were, in my mind, closer to what I wanted out of Thailand. I agree with RICHFROMOZ, I am very comfortable living in the hills in Chiang Mai. I did bring some misplaced attitude from Phuket with, but that quickly fell away as I realised that people here are not after what ever they can get. For me, Chiang Mai is perfect, but for others it could be boring, or just not what they are looking for.

So, why do long term residents stay in Phuket? I could list all the reasons I think Phuket has lost it charm for me, but I'd be really interested in why people live there and what keeps tourists coming back.

Well I was nine at the time, so there weren't exactly that many places I'd been to to compare Phuket with.

Also I don't see why some of you have to get upset if some people find Phuket beautiful and worth multiple visits...you have to insist on attacking him/her with phrases like people with "rose-coloured glasses"? What's the problem with people being happy (in Phuket)?

My request was made in all sincerity. I don't mean to attack anyone or their opinions. I just wanted to get the basis for their opinions. Like I said, I still visit Phuket once or twice a year for the reasons I stated. However, when I have the time, I would much rather eco-trek in Borneo, scuba dive in Malaysia or the Philippines, or do a cultural tour of the highlands of Bali than visit Phuket.

If I just want to get away for a few days, eat some good food, dive a little bit, doze on a beach, and get laid, I'll go to Phuket. If someone has never been before or is primarily interested in these things, then sure, come visit Phuket. Just don't expect a truly world-class island vacation IMHO

I guess you have not been to many other islands so you really can't say whether or not Phuket is better or worse than most. I am glad you have happy memories of your earlier visit. The promontory point you mention is a nice photo spot but no different than you will find anywhere else in the world.

Edited by jonniebkk

Just about all the natural tropical rain forests that may at one time have covered Phuket and been replaced with rubber plantations. Most of the indigenous wildlife has long since fled the island or been sold off to the stewing pots of China.

You really are misinformed. There never was any rainforest on Phuket. the stuff you see on the hills is officially known as 'degraded forest'.

Yes, Bali is beautiful, but, the tourism industry still hasn't recovered from the bombs and the touts in Bali are far more annoying and aggresive than any of the Thai touts in Phuket.

Yes, the Philippines is also very scenic, but, the food is utter crap. The only Asian country that doesn't have an edible cuisine.

I am aware of Phuket's history as a tin mining and trading center. I assume that at one time, the island was covered in tropical forest and during the past century or so, has been replaced by various farming monocultures, mining industries, and now mass tourism. My point is that now, there is little to no natural rain forest cover that might provide some type of eco-vacation for those so inclined.

I don't know what your definition of "recovered" is but I have been to Bali both before and after the bombings and business appears to be fine. If some holiday revelers are staying away out of fear then all the better as the crowds will be less. I have never found the touts in Bali to be annoying...in fact, I hardly ever encounter any. Where are these infamous Bali touts anyway? I find the Thai touts, however, to be most annoying. Even if you put your book over your face while sitting in your beach chair and feign sleep, they will poke at you and try to sell you their stinky piece of dried squid :o

I do agree with you that food in the Philippines is not very good...both in quality and presentation. This is one area where Thailand truly does shine...both the local and foreign cuisines are presented very well.

Edited by jonniebkk

It is what it is.  I've been here 10 years, live in a quiet area of Rawai on the beach, and enjoy my life. If I was in OZ, the UK, or the US, life certainly would be much different.  Yes Phuket has changed, traffic is terrible and the people are not near as friendly as in other parts of Thailand, but you make of it what you will. It's still nice if you want to enjoy a beach, eat some good food, and maybe try some diving, golf, windsurfing or kitesurfing every once in a while.

My point is that now, there is little to no natural rain forest cover that might provide some type of eco-vacation for those so inclined.

True, but, there's also no snow, so, you shouldn't come to Phuket for a skiing holiday.

Actually, there is some excellent eco-tourism tours. Try sea canoe and visit the hongs in Phang-Nga bay that are only accessible at low tide.

I have never found the touts in Bali to be annoying...in fact, I hardly ever encounter any. Where are these infamous Bali touts anyway? I find the Thai touts, however, to be most annoying. Even if you put your book over your face while sitting in your beach chair and feign sleep, they will poke at you and try to sell you their stinky piece of dried squid

You've obviously never been to Kuta, or, Legian then, where it is impossible to even walk down the road without touts tugging on your shirt for bemos, T-shirts, or, women.

But, of course, Kuta and Legian are not Bali. Just as Patong isn't Phuket (as has been explained Ad Nauseum in this thread).

I think the main problems are with peoples expectations not being met.

It reminds me of the time The Beach was made out at Phi Phi island with Leonardo Di Caprio. The movie was the ultimate back-packers wet dream. When the hordes of back-packers inevitably turned up, they all complained about how crowded it was with other back-packers.

It is what it is. It's still nice if you want to enjoy a beach, eat some good food, and maybe try some diving, golf, windsurfing or kitesurfing every once in a while.

My sentiments exactly. There are nice pockets around the island, like your area around Rarai. Personally, I usually stay in the Cape Panwa area, near the Thai Navy station and the Phuket Aquarium. Still relatively quiet, not too crowded, and nice views around Chalong Bay. No beach to speak of, however.

And Sire, I have stayed in Legion and visited the Kuta areas and though there are some touts, I didn't find the overly aggressive or annoying. Maybe my "lived in SE Asia 10 years" hard-faced demeanor keeps them away :o

My point is that now, there is little to no natural rain forest cover that might provide some type of eco-vacation for those so inclined.

True, but, there's also no snow, so, you shouldn't come to Phuket for a skiing holiday.

Actually, there is some excellent eco-tourism tours. Try sea canoe and visit the hongs in Phang-Nga bay that are only accessible at low tide.

I have never found the touts in Bali to be annoying...in fact, I hardly ever encounter any. Where are these infamous Bali touts anyway? I find the Thai touts, however, to be most annoying. Even if you put your book over your face while sitting in your beach chair and feign sleep, they will poke at you and try to sell you their stinky piece of dried squid

You've obviously never been to Kuta, or, Legian then, where it is impossible to even walk down the road without touts tugging on your shirt for bemos, T-shirts, or, women.

But, of course, Kuta and Legian are not Bali. Just as Patong isn't Phuket (as has been explained Ad Nauseum in this thread).

I think the main problems are with peoples expectations not being met.

It reminds me of the time The Beach was made out at Phi Phi island with Leonardo Di Caprio. The movie was the ultimate back-packers wet dream. When the hordes of back-packers inevitably turned up, they all complained about how crowded it was with other back-packers.

I am sure Phuket will always have some sort of tourist industry. However they don't seem to be very good at attracting the right type of tourists.

Retirees with good income and second home owners are now being wooed by other places in the region such as Malaysia, Bali and Vietnam. While these places are all making it easier for these folk to get long term visas and to enjoy home ownership, Thailand seems to be doing everything it can to keep them out.

If your selling points are beaches, sex industry and cheap booze, its pretty obvious who is going to show up.

All good selling points. :o

It is what it is.  I've been here 10 years, live in a quiet area of Rawai on the beach, and enjoy my life. If I was in OZ, the UK, or the US, life certainly would be much different.  Yes Phuket has changed, traffic is terrible and the people are not near as friendly as in other parts of Thailand, but you make of it what you will. It's still nice if you want to enjoy a beach, eat some good food, and maybe try some diving, golf, windsurfing or kitesurfing every once in a while.

Very well put. Thank you. :o

Just returned from a short trip to Krabi and Ao Nang and was surprised to see that by comparison, both seem much more heavily populated by tourists than Patong or Kata. Our hotel in Ao Nang reported 73% occupancy. My best sense is that there is a gradual shift away from Phuket to other places, including those already mentioned.

Is 73% occupancy supposed to be good? or bad?

Is 73% occupancy supposed to be good? or bad?

I would guess that 73% occupancy for a hotel in Ao Nang is quite good when compared to many hotels in Phuket that seem to be struggling now that low season is upon us. That is just one of the factors that seem to support a tourist shift away from Phuket to other places in the region, another is the "feel" for tourist numbers in the shops, streets and restaurants, Ao Nang seemed to "feel" busier.

To me there are three differant types of tourism on phuket, most people here seem to be referring to the Patong side of things. I hope I am not upsetting anyone by saying this but the quality of the average tourist there is very low, they are there to get drunk, laid, tatooed and their hair braided (and third degree burns which they call a tan !), the place suits the clientele and it is aweful and no differant from Kuta in Bali (except it does have a much better beach). I spent my stag weekend there a decade ago and had a great time but it is a dump. Long may Patong stay in Patong !

There is then the family package holiday places such as Kata and Karon which I don't know well enough to comment on.

Then there is the high end tourism, the 5 star resorts and villas, as someone has said earlier would the likes of Shangri-la and Hyatt be ploughing money into a sinking ship, I doubt it !.

I visit phuket about 7 times per year with my family and we have our 2nd home in cherngtalay, we all love it, find the people very friendly and always have a great time, we don't go to Patong at all ,we enjoy Bangtao and Surin and shop at the local markets and shops where we never get hassled. Everybody that visits with us there or uses our villa also loves it.

I firmly believe that Phuket will continue to grow, particualry the high end tourism and also marine tourism which has not been mentioned at all in this thread. This area in my view hosts some of the most scenic boating waters in the world (the caribs can't touch it !) with fine winds and stunning islands, this part of the market has hardly begun to develop and will boom !

Yes Phuket has it's challenges, the infrastucture needs work but are you telling me that it is any differant from other SE Asia destinations ?, it isn't and some people might argue this is partly what adds to the 'flavour' of being in Asia.

Yes I am concerned about the reports of rising crime but have not had any problems myself.

I don't live and work in Phuket so do not profess to be an expert like some of you here but I spend time there on a regular basis and firmly believe Phuket will grow and develop and if patong sinks along the way then I for one will have no issues !

For four months out the year, December thru March, Patong is pretty unbearable - over run with tourists and all the support services they are thought to require. But come April the nature of Patong changes and it will largely stay this way until the end of November. I live on the hillside overlooking the bay and it's peaceful and quiet here, frankly, given where I live it doesn't matter too much whether it's high or low season. It is however nice in low season to be able to get around the town easily and to walk from A to B without being hassled by tourists or touts. Four months of irritation is not a heavy price to pay and those who have only visited during high season should give the place a second chance at a different time of the year. And just to head off the inevitable question, yes I go down to Bangla Road, about once a month to watch the tourists. I like Patong.

I was wondering the same thing jonniebkk, what do people who live in Phuket find so appealing? I ask in all sincerity because we all have different reasons and tolerances for things, but I'd really like to understand what make Phuket attractive for some people and not others.

When I lived in Phuket, I guess I liked it, and what I didnt like I tolerated. It wasn't till I travelled around Thailand and realised that there were places that suited me more, and were, in my mind, closer to what I wanted out of Thailand. I agree with RICHFROMOZ, I am very comfortable living in the hills in Chiang Mai. I did bring some misplaced attitude from Phuket with, but that quickly fell away as I realised that people here are not after what ever they can get. For me, Chiang Mai is perfect, but for others it could be boring, or just not what they are looking for.

So, why do long term residents stay in Phuket? I could list all the reasons I think Phuket has lost it charm for me, but I'd be really interested in why people live there and what keeps tourists coming back.

THE WEATHER , always a cooling breeze and the lowest humidity in the region . No air pollution ( Chang Mai is the worse for that )

The relatively clean ( to the Gulf) Andaman Sea

8 kilometer beach, Bang Tao. And Mai Khao is 15 k?

and 5 other beaches. All different and all within an hours drive.

Cared for ( relatively ) beach horses.

South is fun, action, malls. Patong, Phuket City - middle is upscale , Laguna.

North is secluded, country folk.

All within a ( relatively ) safe 1 hour drive

The cacophony of crickets at sunset, precisely.

The whispering of the pines, hooting of the owl.

The view of Phang Nga.

Also it seems that a community of ex pats is reaching a critical mass. There was an opera and comedy, gala dinners galore, fundraisers and a lot to offer western style aside from Patong ( but c'mon -guys like it when pretty women like them!!)

Scads and scads of western businesses like bakeries, wine shoppes, restaurants.

I agree with a previous post, I think this is a much nicer place to live than to visit..

We have 2 rai on a small lake and a 3 bedroom, Thai style ( no AC ) for 12,ooo a month in an upscaling Thai neighborhood.

In addition. I have found the Thais great. Very friendly and helpful (do you speak Thai?)

Have met some very good westerners here over the years, too.

Which is right? My experience, or, your experience?

I can appreciate your efforts to defend Phuket, but you can't expect tourists to speak Thai for a 2 week vacation.

For the record, the worst service I've experienced in Thailand (and probably just about anywhere) was in Phuket, at a (so-called) 5* hotel in Patong.

I know there's a whole different Phuket which expats experience, and the tourism numbers will no doubt increase year upon year, but there is a part of me that feels Phuket could do a lot better for the amount of attention it gets.