Wanted

Thetyim

Hello Thetyim,

Hope you not running to Panthip directly, as an Intel Pentium III or Celeron (socket 370) 1300Mhz will probably not work on your mainboard.

This because both the Pentium III and the Celeron 1300Mhz are based on the Tualatin core, which works at a lower voltage then your current CPU.

Most chipsets of around Celeron (Coppermine) 733Mhz not have the support for this lower voltage.

Also your mainboard need to support the higher 100Mhz FBS (front bus speed), as I can remember the Intel Celeron (Coppermine) 733Mhz used a FBS of 66Mhz.

With kind regards,

Richard

hi'

I had one of these motherboard (well 2 of them ..), they did support from celeron 500 up to PIII 933 ... voltage and chip limitation :o

the fsb was on auto settings according to the processor, 66 for celeron and 100 or 133 for PIII EB ...

I had the idea to try to find a PIII 1ghz ... easy to find but even with a bios upgrade this could not fit, luckily I checked before for specifications ... :D

anyway, you could find one of these PIII 900mhz, they are running well, I still use a PIII EB 800 mhz on a machine adn it's running well :D

cheers

francois

Check the web site for you motherboard.

Most will tell you the fastest cpu they will support.

Sometimes you need a BIOS flash upgrade to get the best out of the MB.

Edited by astral

One more consideration: I doubt you will experience a significant gain in speed. Sure the CPU will run somewhat faster, but your memory, disk and video won't. So the performance gain is not all THAT much.

And how much memory do you have installed? If it's less than 256MB then you could get just as significant a gain by putting in some extra memory.

Cheers,

Chanchao