Too Good To Be True?

callao

I was recently shopping in Vientiane Laos (Walk Man Store) and came across a lefty set of Callaway golf clubs, 1 and 3 woods, full set of irons, Callaway putter and a travel bag, all for $500 US, brand new, I'm thinking these are knock offs and started to take another closer look at them, I couldn't find anything on them that would make me think they were not Callaway, heads looked authentic, graphite shafts had Callaway emblems even the grips looks authentic, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen similar clubs or know someone who has bought a set of counterfit? clubs, do they work, or are these pure garbage that people should just avoid, gotta be too good to true, thanx, callao

I had a mate who bought a set of Calloways at a good price in Singapore a few years back - a beautiful set of clubs they were too. I used them a couple of times and they felt great. He only became aware that they were copies when the head came of one and he took it to the Pro shop and they advised him they were not the real deal.

The price of the set you have seen suggests they too are copies.

I had a mate who bought a set of Calloways at a good price in Singapore a few years back - a beautiful set of clubs they were too. I used them a couple of times and they felt great. He only became aware that they were copies when the head came of one and he took it to the Pro shop and they advised him they were not the real deal.

The price of the set you have seen suggests they too are copies.

Well put. and If you have to ask the question, yes, it's too good to be true

As with a lot of things, there are different qualities of "fake". Some of the fake clubheads that are going around are actually real, and run off the production-line after-hours to be spirited out of the factory. They are then usually attached to low quality shafts and sold off.

I bought a set of Callaway X-16 irons, complete with BB Driver, 3 and 5 woods, an Odyssey putter, umbrella, bag and travel case for 1100 HKD (around 140 USD) in HK a few years ago to use solely as a travel set. The club-heads are indistinguishable (to my eyes anyway) from my real X-16s but the shafts are noticeably not as good. To a mid-level handicapper they play just fine, and I'm still using the 7-iron as my real one needs to be re-shafted.

As with a lot of things, there are different qualities of "fake". Some of the fake clubheads that are going around are actually real, and run off the production-line after-hours to be spirited out of the factory. They are then usually attached to low quality shafts and sold off.

I bought a set of Callaway X-16 irons, complete with BB Driver, 3 and 5 woods, an Odyssey putter, umbrella, bag and travel case for 1100 HKD (around 140 USD) in HK a few years ago to use solely as a travel set. The club-heads are indistinguishable (to my eyes anyway) from my real X-16s but the shafts are noticeably not as good. To a mid-level handicapper they play just fine, and I'm still using the 7-iron as my real one needs to be re-shafted.

Very true. I gave up on my Chinese Callaways when the third head came off. Hope you don't use your travel set to go to the US, they have been known to confiscate them.

TH

I was recently shopping in Vientiane Laos (Walk Man Store) and came across a lefty set of Callaway golf clubs, 1 and 3 woods, full set of irons, Callaway putter and a travel bag, all for $500 US, brand new, I'm thinking these are knock offs and started to take another closer look at them, I couldn't find anything on them that would make me think they were not Callaway, heads looked authentic, graphite shafts had Callaway emblems even the grips looks authentic, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen similar clubs or know someone who has bought a set of counterfit? clubs, do they work, or are these pure garbage that people should just avoid, gotta be too good to true, thanx, callao

I've been told that the only way you can tell, is to peel the grip off the handle ..... the copies don't have the Callaway tape under them....