Roadworks: Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai Road

KevinHunt

I plan a trip to Chiang Rai on Tuesday but I'm told the road has been dug up just before Mae Kachang and that the surface is pretty bad. Has anybody been lately? How long will it add on to my trip and can it be avoided? I was thinking of taking the chm-phrao road and cutting across?

Only a few k's are being paved bewtween Mae Kachan and the hotsprings. I was on this road last week with no problem. Speeds are pretty close to normal. No real delay.

The drive through Phrao is good, but will add an hour to your trip. I went north that way, south back through Mae Kachan. I had also heard some bad things about the road, but after I had been on the bad part ofthat road, I felt that I shouldn't have gone through Phrao, but simply gone the normal way.

Edited by Ajarn

I plan a trip to Chiang Rai on Tuesday but I'm told the road has been dug up just before Mae Kachang and that the surface is pretty bad. Has anybody been lately? How long will it add on to my trip and can it be avoided? I was thinking of taking the chm-phrao road and cutting across?

Kevin

If you've still got your pickup it should be a piece of cake.

I was last up there a few weeks ago & it was dirt from the hot springs to Mae Kachan, a distance of 15 kms, but honestly it is not bad. Only dusty if there's no rain or too much traffic at the time.

With a good pick-up & good suspension, there’s almost no need to slow down; & I certainly don't on my African Twin bike with a 21 inch front wheel – it eats up the bumps.

It's still quicker via Mae Kachan.

Just got back a few hours ago and it was a shambles for 15 plus Kms the other side of the hot springs. It's certainly passable, but loads of pot holes, and to make it worse, parts are under water, All in all not a very pleasant drive. Also saw two accidents on the way back, and not busses which makes a change.

Just got back a few hours ago and it was a shambles for 15 plus Kms the other side of the hot springs. It's certainly passable, but loads of pot holes, and to make it worse, parts are under water, All in all not a very pleasant drive. Also saw two accidents on the way back, and not buses which makes a change.

I had heard that it is bad in the last couple of days. I don't have the pick-up anymore, so it looks like a diversion via Phrao road then? It is a good drive to Phrao , but I'm not sure about across to Mae Suay (is that right). I'm going on a short break with the sisters so we're looking for a nice drive. It doesn't sound like a pleasant jaunt going through that lot. Other than via Fang or Phrao, what other choices are there? What would the time difference be, I wonder? :o

Edited by KevinHUNT