Laptop Question: Wireless N For Thailand (waste?)

luumak

No point getting N for Internet access in any country except Japan. (The only place you're likely to come across a link that is faster than G).

The only reason to go for N is usually for file transfers within your own network. (i.e. streaming HD from a media server, etc.), where G isn't quite fast enough (at least if multiple people are using the network).

What is the increased cost differential?... 500 Baht or so... Seems like a small investment... If you choose to go cheap do not whine 2 years from now when you can not get the upload speeds to watch streaming video and such... Look at the biggest complaint and reason for having to buy a new computer... usually it is because the machine is too slow due to the specs of the thing... Buying N may save you a year or so before you have to buy another machine... "This computer sucks! the modem is only 56K... I need at least 128K..."

Edited by sfokevin

about 750 but then the intel chip is a bit more 900 - it all adds up. this and that b4 you know it the price is out of control. same w/ bluetooth - seems cool for esp a mouse but i have heard there is lag on many pointers that are not 2000+. or...just get a great mouse for 300B.

thanks everyone- nixed

same w/ bluetooth - seems cool for esp a mouse but i have heard there is lag on many pointers that are not 2000+. or...just get a great mouse for 300B.

while I would not recommend 802.11n I would recommend bluetooth

there are many applications for the personal area network with BT that make it quite handy - phone ,pda, gps ,printer , headset etc

there is minimal lag on my smaller bluetooth mouse that I use with my laptop and it goes into a sort of powersave mode quickly , but I am using it on a laptop and not for games so I think the convenience tradeoff is worth it.