Safari World

2long

I remember reading in the news about this bunch (a couple of years ago) having something like 65 orang-utans that they shouldn't have had. these poor apes were either being sold on the balck market or trained to perform.

Now I have, since then, voiced my anti-Safari World feelings and suggested nobody goes there and therefore supports them financially.

Does anyone have any opinions or factual evidence on this? My daughter would love it and there's a chance what I read was misreported or wrong or whatever. If they are the scoundrels I have believed them to be, I'll continue with my opinion. However, if I'm wrong there's an opportunity to go there this week.

Please help.

Dont go.

Anywhere that has animals performing for people instead of being allowed to exist peacefully in a near natural habitat (assuming they have actually been rescued / bred in captivity for a reason and not bought for the purpose) or in nature itself with people benefiting from them doesnt deserve your money.

That goes for the "Tiger Temple" in Kanchanaburi.

Dont go.

Anywhere that has animals performing for people instead of being allowed to exist peacefully in a near natural habitat (assuming they have actually been rescued / bred in captivity for a reason and not bought for the purpose) or in nature itself with people benefiting from them doesnt deserve your money.

DONT TELL ME YOUR A VEGETARIAN :o

Dont go.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know that the monks are doing with all the tourist money each day from that Tiger Temple, but it sure isn't going into making their enclosures bigger.

Dont go.

Add "Sriracha Tiger Zoo" aka Illegal Breeding Factory and Tiger Parts for Dining to the "Don't Go" list.

Edited by sriracha john

and on the "Do Please Go list"

Visit this place:-

post-3770-1208860801_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1208860876_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1208861128_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1208860934_thumb.jpg

120/-baht for Adults and 50 - 60/- baht for children (Thai and for Non-Thai same price). Food to free hand feed the animals 20/-baht per bowl. Lots on mouths to feed there.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Drive your car and feed the animals, but not the Tiger, Loin nor the Three Black Bears.

Been there done it, great place to spend with the family.

Also there are shows as well and all in one price.

Kan Win :D

P.S. when I have time, I will do a feature on this Park in our Central Thailand Forum :o

Also there are shows as well and all in one price

Perfect reason to avoid.

Teach your kids that wild animals best remain in the wild unless for the specific purpose of rescue and or rehabilitation and possibly reintegration (almost impossible),and secondary for education and awareness. Not caught, bred, shipped around the world shown off and trained for shows jut for our pleasure.

Sorry, for me post earlier as I “Hi-Jacked” yours “2long”.

It has been on the National TV as very few folk visited this place and they pleaded to help them.

My wife asked me to go (I did read their plea before in the papers) and to have another look (after all these years), so we did. (Shame on me for not going there as a photographer of landscape and of tame wild life.) They are my neighbours, 40 odd kms outside of Kanchanaburi on the road to Bophloi. Just drive straight on 323 towards until the last traffic light in Kan, and then keep going straight onto the 3199. At the first lights turn right as the map shows and just follow the signs to Safari Park.

Went there many years ago and funnily nothing has really changed, only the beauty of how they kept this place running for all over 5 years of me last visit. Hats off to them, nice job. :o

Yours truly,

P.S. No Booze is sold in there, so bring your own if they allow you in with Booze? Do not know? :D

Dont go.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know that the monks are doing with all the tourist money each day from that Tiger Temple, but it sure isn't going into making their enclosures bigger.

Tiger temple gets a couple of dozen visitors a day paying 300b to get in, and who also get a free meal if they want. So they aren't exactly rolling in it.

They are excavating a new enclosure to keep them in semi wild conditions, but it seems to be slow going.

Perfect reason to avoid.

Teach your kids that wild animals best remain in the wild unless for the specific purpose of rescue and or rehabilitation and possibly reintegration (almost impossible),and secondary for education and awareness. Not caught, bred, shipped around the world shown off and trained for shows jut for our pleasure.

The shows are as follows :-

Elephant Show

Crocodile Wrestling Show

large.jpg

and a Dog Show

Please "Doza" give us a break, these shows are very common in Thailand :D and for Thai Folks and Tourist to have this in Kan at that price well....I .....am....... speechless :o

Yours truly, :D

There's a clip on youtube of someone in (I think) Thailand, where a guy, probably some poor mug student with 10 minutes training, sticks his hand in a croc's mouth and has to do a synchronised death roll in order to keep it attached..

I can't get into it from here, so can't tell you where it was.

Does anyone have any opinions or factual evidence on this? My daughter would love it and there's a chance what I read was misreported or wrong or whatever. If they are the scoundrels I have believed them to be, I'll continue with my opinion. However, if I'm wrong there's an opportunity to go there this week.

It's not great but then its not that bad either. The animals are kept in much better conditions that Dusit Zoo. However, there were a couple of things that bugged me like you could pay to play with a baby tiger for a while and things like that (my gf did it, much to my disapproval).

Please "Doza" give us a break, these shows are very common in Thailand and for Thai Folks and Tourist to have this in Kan at that price well....I .....am....... speechless

Aah, sorry. I forgot the golden rules of conservation and using captured wild animals:

1) If it is common in a country its ok

2) If nationals of that country enjoy it, its ok

3) If its cheap, its even more ok!

...bear bile anyone?

Please "Doza" give us a break, these shows are very common in Thailand and for Thai Folks and Tourist to have this in Kan at that price well....I .....am....... speechless

Aah, sorry. I forgot the golden rules of conservation and using captured wild animals:

1) If it is common in a country its ok

2) If nationals of that country enjoy it, its ok

3) If its cheap, its even more ok!

...bear bile anyone?

Get the hel_l off that mighty moralistic horse you're on.

Got kids Doza?

Want to explain to a four year old why he can't go when all his classmates have?

I bet you belong to PETA as well, don't you? Chickens rights before peoples? Isn't that what you people want?

Get a life.

Get the hel_l off that mighty moralistic horse you're on.

Got kids Doza?

Want to explain to a four year old why he can't go when all his classmates have?

I bet you belong to PETA as well, don't you? Chickens rights before peoples? Isn't that what you people want?

Get a life.

Get the hel_l of an idea Etrigan.

No kids.

If I did, I think I would be explaining the issues animals are facing like destruction of habitat etc and use it as an education exercise. "Look at this lovely bear, do you think it enjoys this compound and riding a bicycle when it usually lives in the forest with other bears?". Would get my kids to THINK instead of just look and be "entertained".

No I don't. No. No.

I've got a life, just trying to ensure wild animals have a life too, undisturbed by us and not made to do unnatural shows for our (your and your kids) "enjoyment".

Enjoy the orangutang boxing. Completely natural....

Perfect reason to avoid.

TBH in Thailand I have never seen animals in the wild except for rats and soi dogs, all others have a better chance of survival in a zoo at least they will not be poached so fast.

Edited by Sakeopete

I enjoy the orangutan boxing shows. Terrific day out for the kids, and I usually win a shedload of money on the betting action, as I tip their "trainer" to slip a few nuts and bolts into the red corner's glove. :o haha. Sorted.

Got kids Doza?

No kids.

If I did, I think I would be explaining the issues animals are facing like destruction of habitat etc and use it as an education exercise. "Look at this lovely bear, do you think it enjoys this compound and riding a bicycle when it usually lives in the forest with other bears?". Would get my kids to THINK instead of just look and be "entertained".

Then I rest my case. I thank you.

and on the "Do Please Go list"

Visit this place:-

Drive your car and feed the animals, but not the Tiger, Loin nor the Three Black Bears.

Been there done it, great place to spend with the family.

Also there are shows as well and all in one price.

P.S. when I have time, I will do a feature on this Park in our Central Thailand Forum :o

I have been there too, well worth the money, but don't expect too much. Also not too far from the orphans village so be a good sport and go visit the kids and make a small donation whilst you are out there!

Hey I know the owner, he is a family friend.

Its a great place to go, all the bad news is all just rumors. All animals are kept in good shape

you do, can I get my double pricing charge back........ i couldn't work it out, maybe I looked at more animals than the average Thai!

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Kan Win for suggesting Safari park, Kanchanaburi NOT Safari World, Bangkok. We went there to day and WILL be going back, maybe as soon as next week.

They did mention charging extra (for me, the farang) but just the mention of a work permit got me in for 120B our daughter got in for free.

Kan Win's photos are excellent, but nothing prepared me for the onslaught of hungry giraffes and zebra(s) sticking their noses in the car and slobbering all over us. I could've spent all day in that enclosure alone. The dog and crocodile shows were ok, but the elephants were great and spectators are encouraged to join in for free.

I get the impression that these people care for the animals, treat them well and are NOT out to exploit all and sundry for a quick buck.

Go there, buy at least 100B's worth of carrots at the entrance and have a great day.

Hey I know the owner, he is a family friend.

Its a great place to go, all the bad news is all just rumors. All animals are kept in good shape

you do, can I get my double pricing charge back........ i couldn't work it out, maybe I looked at more animals than the average Thai!

:o