Forensic Officer Arrested For Allegedly Performing Abortions

george

Forensic officer arrested for allegedly performing abortions

SONGKHLA: -- A forensic police officer was dismissed from the civil service Monday after being arrested in Songkhla's Hat Yai district for illegally performing abortions on young women.

Police arrested Colonel Dr Somchai Trimathurakul from the Police General Hospital on Sunday evening along with medical equipment. Many customers were allegedly waiting in his clinic.

Somchai reportedly went to the Hat Yai clinic every fortnight on weekends. Police will also check his other clinic in Khon Kaen for any illegal activity.

-- The Nation 2008-04-21

What do they mean by "forensic officer"? I realize the man is a doctor but do they mean he is a medical examiner or is he a doctor who normally treats living patients as well?

*** besides the obvious illegal abortion***

you have to feel sorry those for the girls, as they are not wanting to bring a life to this world that will probably not be a life worth living.....

and being illiegal in Thailand to have an abortion, maybe just maybe, these doctors are in fact helping ( Unless they are getting paid hugh amounts of money )

And what about the fact that the abortion laws in Thailand were liberalized last year to include "mental distress" as a qualifying condition.......

See the pinned thread in the Health section.

Indeed, which makes me wonder if it wasn't the abortions that were the problem but the doctor's qualifications.

And what about the fact that the abortion laws in Thailand were liberalized last year to include "mental distress" as a qualifying condition.......

But what hoops must be jumped through to aquire this status?

Whose permission is needed -

Husband/Parental/BF /Rapist etc?

Give that man a medal !

I think forensic officer is someone who can gather evidence from bodies , though it could be a medical examiner, i.e., surgeon that examines bodies for cause of death ?

Or, Lost in Translation ( L I T )

Another strange story from the Land of Smiles.

Perhaps the "problem" stemmed from the fact he was not an OB/GYN. I don't know how aware the general population is that the abortion laws have been relaxed. Prior to this I would think that a patient would have been happy to have anyone with medical qualifications undertake the procedure. And be able to have an alternative to the retired nurse in the back of the beauty shop. And I am not necessarily saying that the retired nurse is a bad person. Just under-qualified and having to work in less than optimum conditions.

Also, one would think that the Civil Service would be difficult to be expelled from in less than 24 hours since being arrested. Not yet convicted. And he would have been a senior level with those qualifications and that rank.