New Helmet Law - Breaking News

phuketrex

Police to be tougher on motorcyclists

(BangkokPost.com) –The police have renewed efforts to get tough on motorcycles and passengers riding pillion who fail to wear safety helmets.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.

They’re also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

A motorcyclist with more than one passenger riding pillion will have to answer to the police as will those who fail to stop at marked areas at traffic lights.

So it means all those 99baht plastic helmets like nearly everyone wears are now illegal...everyone has to buy one to International standards whatever that is AND have another one for a passenger...AND no more than 2 people on a bike!!!!!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(BangkokPost.com) –The police have renewed efforts to get tough on motorcycles and passengers riding pillion who fail to wear safety helmets.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.

They're also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

A motorcyclist with more than one passenger riding pillion will have to answer to the police as will those who fail to stop at marked areas at traffic lights.

So it means all those 99baht plastic helmets like nearly everyone wears are now illegal...everyone has to buy one to International standards whatever that is AND have another one for a passenger...AND no more than 2 people on a bike!!!!!!!!

I fail to see the police outside BKK enforcing this.

They're also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

That'll be a joke here on Samui.

Remember when they told us we had to have white helmets for foreigners and the other colours for the Thai's. Never seen that enforced. I seen a maximum of 5 on one motorbike plus the shopping and the dog in the front basket. Wonder if the dog has to wear a helmet yet!

Last week I was at the Loei fresh market. My wife was shopping and I was sitting waiting for her. I began watching the motorcycle riders. Amazingly nine out of ten were wearing helmets. HOWEVER out of that nine seven were using no chin strap. The helmet was just sitting on the top of their heads. Both the riders who had their helmet buckled were girls.

The helmets must be up an internationally accepted standard. Oh, sure. What Thai helmet meets Snell, DOT, or the European standard? What does Sergeant Pongsakornachol know about international standards? Is he going to fine you for wearing a 19,000 baht Shoei or Arai because he doesn't see the logo of the Thai Mickey Mouse standard?

This may duplicate a breaking news announcement in the News Clippings forum.

I fail to see the police outside BKK enforcing this.

Agreed!! Where I live, many wear no helments, particularly at night and no lights as well. Cool man, cool.

Remember when they told us we had to have white helmets for foreigners and the other colours for the Thai's. Never seen that enforced. I seen a maximum of 5 on one motorbike plus the shopping and the dog in the front basket. Wonder if the dog has to wear a helmet yet!

A dog in the basket!

I seen two Thai boys, no helmet, sharing a bottle of beer and sitting in the basket at the front was a new born baby.

Jomtien 2006. And they drove past the Dongtan Police box.

further to the OP

1) No helmet in Thailand that is sold meets International Standard, to purchase an international standard helmet will set you back around 10,000 THB MIN, unless they start to mass produce these helmets in Thailand

2) So now the law stats passengers must also where helmets? and only 2 people to a bike. This is international standard, but they forgot to add in driver must be older the 16 years old, and pillion passenger must be over the age of 12....... ( maybe they will pass this soon )

2) Drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.... this is a major issue, and i see this every day... but can they also ensure they enforce thuis one the highways for cars and trucks who seem oblivous to the law and will drive up the wrong way!

3) No lights... another good law to inforce, also cars that drive with one headlight only

Thats it for now

over and out

Even if it is enforced (which is unlikely) it will only apply to Bangkok.

The rest of Thailand will carry on, as before.

What we now see on the roads is the product of years of negligence and complacency cause by the police themselves and by successive incompetent and corrupt governments.. They enforce this, and later on enforce that, and then this while almost dropping the first two. This mess will take decades to fix IF they ever get real patrols with real patrol cars/m'cycles, IF NOT, they'll never get anywhere with this mess, their own to begin with.

Even if it is enforced (which is unlikely) it will only apply to Bangkok.

The rest of Thailand will carry on, as before.

Up here at least, since the law came around however many years ago it was, the amount of riders at least pretending to wear a plastic lid has increased measurably.

As long as there is money to be made out of the fine, it will be enforced irregularly, but up here at least has encouraged more and more people to wear a lid instead of paying fines. It is pitiful to see the coppers hiding in the trees to catch people though.

Traffic laws are a shambolical mess outside of Bangers.

It will be enforced when the local BiB needs a new fridge, a/c, etc.

Tea money collection is endemic in Thailand.

My mother always had a fiver folded in her driving licence, I saw it disappear when she was stopped one time.

That was 60s in NZ, not just happening in Thailand......PMPL

A dog in the basket!

I seen two Thai boys, no helmet, sharing a bottle of beer and sitting in the basket at the front was a new born baby.

Jomtien 2006. And they drove past the Dongtan Police box.

The best I've seen is 3 Thais on a Honda Dream on the Bangna Trad highway doing quite a speed and carrying a Mercedes bonnet (hood for our US readers) If you've owned a mercedes you'll know its big and heavy with the grill attached.

That scrawny little Thai guy must have been freakishly strong to keep it upright!

Read again, the article is about Bangkok.

Don't know about Surat Thani, but most provinces in Thailand do not have helmet laws. Last I checked only 17 provinces did, plus Bangkok of course.

Don't know about Surat Thani, but most provinces in Thailand do not have helmet laws. Last I checked only 17 provinces did, plus Bangkok of course.

I do believed helmet laws have been around for a long time. Accept that it is not fully enforced across all provinces. The article is indeed originating from Bangkok and that is where they will commence the enforcement and increment in fines. However, how soon it will affect other provinces upcountry, (the enforcement) is yet to be seen. I have personnally been booked on several occassions in Udon Thani :o , and just only last week, been booked in Nongkhai :D Bht 200 each time with a proper receipt.

They have been having a purge in Nakhonsawan for a few months now. Thje fine here is 500 Baht for no helmet but that does not apply to the passenger. Seems the enforcement is working too as most people now are wearing their helmets.

The crackdown has a lot to do with the new head of police that moved in quite a while back.

The payments are official too with receipt and all. Seems they are not taking backhanders either.

Seen many a roadblock with up to 30 odd motorcyclists being pulled.

Anothger crackdown here is at traffic lights. When you are seen to ignore the red they chase you down and give you a ticket.

Maybe, just maybe some driving sense enforcement is filtering through :o

I do believed helmet laws have been around for a long time. Accept that it is not fully enforced across all provinces. The article is indeed originating from Bangkok and that is where they will commence the enforcement and increment in fines. However, how soon it will affect other provinces upcountry, (the enforcement) is yet to be seen. I have personnally been booked on several occassions in Udon Thani :o , and just only last week, been booked in Nongkhai :D Bht 200 each time with a proper receipt.

It is ironic that they announce it just before school starts though. They will be printing tickets for a few weeks. Here, enforcement is patchy, but I would say there is a pretty high percentage of drivers wearing some sort of helmet.

further to the OP

1) No helmet in Thailand that is sold meets International Standard, to purchase an international standard helmet will set you back around 10,000 THB MIN, unless they start to mass produce these helmets in Thailand

2) So now the law stats passengers must also where helmets? and only 2 people to a bike. This is international standard, but they forgot to add in driver must be older the 16 years old, and pillion passenger must be over the age of 12....... ( maybe they will pass this soon )

2) Drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.... this is a major issue, and i see this every day... but can they also ensure they enforce thuis one the highways for cars and trucks who seem oblivous to the law and will drive up the wrong way!

3) No lights... another good law to inforce, also cars that drive with one headlight only

Thats it for now

over and out

Yeah, another bit of humour for the punters. If the new fine is 500 does that mean everyone now has to pay 250 cash no ticket instead of 200? :D

The policeman outside my kids school watches underage, unlicenced, helmetless, mobile chatting or breakfast eating riders everyday without a comment. Is this about to change then? :o