Police Intensify Raids On Internet Cafes

Jai Dee

Police intensify raids on internet cafes

Over 50 Thonburi area police and officers of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) were dispatched in an effort to crackdown on risky areas where teens are prone to engage in the use of drugs.

The crackdown follows a promotional rally by volunteers and university students in line with the police to dissuade narcotics abuse. During the rally it was found that internet cafes were an especially common breeding ground for delinquency.

Some shops reported teens spending over 5 hours using the internet, but police have not yet been able to explicitly find a connection to drug use. Nonetheless, authorities have asked for cooperation from shop owners to monitor youths as well as restrict children from spending more than 3 hours on the internet.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 April 2008

Police intensify raids on internet cafes

Over 50 Thonburi area police and officers of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) were dispatched in an effort to crackdown on risky areas where teens are prone to engage in the use of drugs.

The crackdown follows a promotional rally by volunteers and university students in line with the police to dissuade narcotics abuse. During the rally it was found that internet cafes were an especially common breeding ground for delinquency.

Some shops reported teens spending over 5 hours using the internet, but police have not yet been able to explicitly find a connection to drug use. Nonetheless, authorities have asked for cooperation from shop owners to monitor youths as well as restrict children from spending more than 3 hours on the internet.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 April 2008

"Risky area", "teens are prone to engage in use of drugs", "internet cafes" "restrict children from spending more than 3 hours on the internet'. Jokes section forums are right here. :o

Didn't realise there was such a good dollar in internet cafes, must have run out of migrant workers. Must be getting harder to find a profitable bust, hope we're not next.

I was just coming to this. Another attempt to line their pockets.

When I was a lad, I used to have to dig the answers out of books to do my homework before I could go out and play footie.

I know that the Internet has now replaced books as the source of answers. But are the teachers setting so much homework that it takes five hours to get the answers?

Or have there been some other changes in the past sixty years that I am unaware of?

Internet cafes are places where youth assemble or come together outside school and are easily targeted by dealers.

5 hours non-stop computer usage is physically impossible. Drugs must be involved.

I can understand this way of thinking in retrospect to the country we're in!

Do the police actually do any investigating before they come to a conclusion? It seems like they come up with stuff that is just based on some kind of prejudice. But I am not sure how or where this stuff comes from. Insights anyone?

Do the police actually do any investigating before they come to a conclusion? It seems like they come up with stuff that is just based on some kind of prejudice. But I am not sure how or where this stuff comes from. Insights anyone?

I think it is because they are so good at solving crimes and identifying problems areas they don't need to do any investigating or research.

Internet cafes are places where youth assemble or come together outside school and are easily targeted by dealers.

5 hours non-stop computer usage is physically impossible. Drugs must be involved.

I can understand this way of thinking in retrospect to the country we're in!

If 5 hours nonstop computer usage is physically impossible, then they need to start raiding the software shops as well. Actually, if developers are on drugs, it explains some of the program bugs I've seen. :o

I just hope they continue to stay away from discos and entertainment venues because I am sure there is no drug usage there!

Of course, if they crackdown on those places they have to stay up late and night--and probably have to stay sober for the raid.

Some shops reported teens spending over 5 hours using the internet, but police have not yet been able to explicitly find a connection to drug use.

Mabe they just SURFING INTERNET than, huh?? Drugs? WHICH drugs?? Internet is a drug by itself... :o

Someone....stop their stupidity, please....... Oh God, please send them some spare brains.....:D :D :D

PS: should I report about my wife - she is using internet more than 10 hrs\day, it is just her job...May she be addicted to a drugs?????? OMG....... :D :D B) The best news of a month, really. :D

I myself should know about his impossibility long ago, as I am using computer 12-16 hours a day - every day, many years. :o

Nothing strange in being on computer more than 5hrs - a good game (online one, perhaps) could catch your attention for a _weeks_. Especially when you are a kid. This is what they do at internet cafes - all of those Lineages, Ragnaroks, CSs etc etc etc...

When I was a lad, I used to have to dig the answers out of books to do my homework before I could go out and play footie.

I know that the Internet has now replaced books as the source of answers. But are the teachers setting so much homework that it takes five hours to get the answers?

Or have there been some other changes in the past sixty years that I am unaware of?

Martin, I highly doubt they're doing their homework or any kind of constructive research! The internet cafes are teeming with kids playing online games. They're there with their mates, yelling across the room - five hours can go by very quickly when you're absorbed in something. I agree it's not healthy, but drugs?? hmmmmm

Perhaps these stories are related .....

INTERNET CAFE RAPES

Boys given antiviral drugs

Two boys, aged seven and eight, who were forcibly sodomised by a homosexual youth at an internet cafe near Chao Phor Suea Shrine early this month, have been given antiviral drugs as they face the risk of HIV infection. The drugs were given as a precaution as the 17-year-old suspected rapist, who is now in police detention, is in an HIV risk group, said Dr Adisak Palitpolkarnpim of Ramathibodi hospital yesterday.

Dr Adisak said physical checks showed the two boys, who were admitted to the hospital on April 10, had been sodomised.

The eight-year-old boy is a Prathom 2 student. The other boy, who is seven years old, is his friend and a Prathom 1 student.

The older boy became the first victim while he was in a toilet at an internet cafe near Chao Phor Suea Shrine in Phra Nakhon district.

The other boy was attacked three days later in a toilet at the shrine. This time the suspect was caught in the act by people who witnessed the attack and was handed over to Samran Rat police.

Dr Adisak said the hospital has already asked that the suspect be brought in for a blood test.

He quoted the parents of the two boys as saying that they were too busy working to watch their children closely during their school break, so the boys spent most of their time hanging around internet shops in the neighbourhood.

Pol Lt-Col Jumpol Kananurak, deputy chief of the Centre for Children, Juveniles and Women, said a panel has been set up to find out if the operator of the internet cafe in question was involved in the sexual assault in any way.

Headless chickens.

headless-chicken.jpg

Silly... it is obvious. The chicken committed suicide.

Here on Phuket, where getting Thai kids into the not quite the worst school, takes bribes and connections.. Theres a teacher who owns an internet cafe. The kids are 'forced' to do thier homework in his cafe (so he can teach them additionally :o ) or he fails them and gives them extra hassle in school.

With the 40 baht per hour, plus however much per printed page.. It can often run 100 - 200 baht for a kid to do his homework !! When a Thai parent told me of this scam I was shocked and said why not complain to the school.. Her claim was it might result in the kid being kicked out / failed and she had to pay a heafty bribe to get the kid into the place.

I myself should know about his impossibility long ago, as I am using computer 12-16 hours a day - every day, many years. :D

How's your eyesight? :o

The entire society is collapsing and it's all the fault of the Internet...

Vice rife in cafes

Survey discovers Internet shops dens of drugs, sexual abuse and robbery

Many young people have been attacked, sexually abused and had money stolen at Internet cafes over the past three months.

This shocking data was found in a recent survey and is being released following two cases of sexual assault.

"This is worrying," says the Director of the Academic Network for Community Happiness Observation and Research *what an organizational name* :o at Assumption University.

Noppadon Kannika says "many respondents witnessed such things at Internet cafes".

The network found 25 per cent of those using cafes saw cases of extortion; more than 7 per cent witnessed drug use and about 6.5 per cent sexual abuse at Internet cafes. "Based on these statistics, it's estimated as many as 60,600 children may have been extorted at cafes in this school break alone," Noppadon says.

"Some 57,600 children may have been physically attacked, while some 31,000 others may have been sexually abused."

He points out that almost 16 per cent of respondents now don't visit cafes because of gambling, glue-sniffing, smoking and alcohol abuse there, adding that cafes allowing alcohol consumption and smoking are worse.

According to the survey, teenagers spend two hours and 42 minutes a day at Internet cafes. Most play games, of which Internet cafes offer a variety of games. Conducted from April 22 to 23, the survey questioned 2,276 respondents aged between seven and 19 living in Bangkok and nearby.

Parents of young sex offenders can be held criminally liable for their children's offences against other minors, says Social Development and Human Security Ministry official Thitikallaya Wangjaroen. Under a 2003 law, parents whose children are victims of abuse can get in trouble, too.

The ministry is holding a May 12 seminar on hazards facing children outside of the home. The Phra Nakhon Internet cafe where a 17-year-old sexually abused one boy and another victim nearby may be closed for a month and fined Bt2,000.

- Daily Xpress / April 25, 2008

Edited by sriracha john

of course when things get this bent of shape from reality... the inevitable alarmist over-reactions happen here...

HOMOSEXUALS

On the prowl

Gay abusers are now stalking boys in computer-gaming cafes

Beware! Homosexual predators are cruising computer-gaming cafes for prey. A teenager sexually assaulted a boy earlier this month. The suspect is a member of a Chinese-opera troupe.

Police are concerned about the safety of boys and are warning parents to be careful.

Ramathibodi Hospital's Dr Adisak Plitponkarnpim confirmed the teenager was "violated". He says a 17-year-old was arrested on April 10 while at the same cafe, shortly after assaulting another victim in the toilet of a shrine in Bangkok's Phra Nakhon district.

The 17-year-old admitted to sexual-abuse charges and is being held in a juvenile detention centre. "We request that he be tested for HIV/Aids," Adisak says. The victims are being treated with anti-retroviral drugs to lower the risk of contracting the virus.

Adisak warned parents to take note and be "aware homosexual teenagers are prowling gaming cafes." Adisak says cafe operators must protect the welfare of children.

Police Children, Juveniles and Women Centre Superintendent Thirasak Suriwong said owners of locations where attacks take place risk arrest, too. Fines have proved too small to deter offenders. "We hope owners of authorised gaming cafes will comply with the law. They must ensure the safety of children," he says.

Daily Xpress / April 24, 2008

of course when things get this bent of shape from reality... the inevitable alarmist over-reactions happen here...

HOMOSEXUALS

On the prowl

Gay abusers are now stalking boys in computer-gaming cafes

Beware! Homosexual predators are cruising computer-gaming cafes for prey. A teenager sexually assaulted a boy earlier this month. The suspect is a member of a Chinese-opera troupe.

Police are concerned about the safety of boys and are warning parents to be careful.

Ramathibodi Hospital's Dr Adisak Plitponkarnpim confirmed the teenager was "violated". He says a 17-year-old was arrested on April 10 while at the same cafe, shortly after assaulting another victim in the toilet of a shrine in Bangkok's Phra Nakhon district.

The 17-year-old admitted to sexual-abuse charges and is being held in a juvenile detention centre. "We request that he be tested for HIV/Aids," Adisak says. The victims are being treated with anti-retroviral drugs to lower the risk of contracting the virus.

Adisak warned parents to take note and be "aware homosexual teenagers are prowling gaming cafes." Adisak says cafe operators must protect the welfare of children.

Well it's either the opera or the "chinese", who can we blame now?

This thing on an alleged juvenile sexual offender being used to justify the conclusion about "special" people on the prowl, is just idiocy at it's finest. It defies everything we know about sexually deviant behaviour patterns. Seems to me the alleged assailant is mentally ill and his sexuality isn't the underlying mental health issue. Normal well balanced teenagers prefer their own peer group whether it be hetero or homo. When I was first exploring girl's breasts at the age of 15, I certainly wasn't interested in girls that didn't have them. Don't these people have any understanding of adolescent sexual behaviour, or are they relying on those idiots at Assumption for guidance? Perhaps, as a facility associated with the catholic Church they are projecting their own wonderful history of priests and young boys?

Obviously the allegation is serious, but sadly it seems to be a daily occurrence in other facilities and places which seem to escape these guardians of morality. I'd be more concerned about underage children plying their trade in the tittie bars of Pattaya and elsewhere and the young boys prostituting themselves to both Thai and farangs rather than harassing the majority of kids that go to these internet cafes. Oh wait, a change in focus might cut into someone's profit margins, wouldn't it? Let's just go make kids lives miserables. They could have set up local watch groups or have tried "kidproofing" which is extremely effective. Unfortunately, that would have required some thought and wouldn't bring headlines. Who needs prevention and making sure the kids are aware of roving perverts when you can try and build your public image by coming up with an unfounded conspiracy.

No suprise that thet are plenty of panel and comittee's which are probably nice little earners for the usual people. It would be far better if they concentrated on some of the causes of other social ill's and actually threw some money at that to tackle the problems. Sadly there will be snow in Bangkok before that happens.

Suprised that the Burmese haven't been blamed in some way for this, but at least they have managed to identify homosexuals. I'm sure there will be another scapegoat coming in the next day or so.

As for Assumption , the hypocricy of the Catholic Church, knows no bounds. :o