Usb Phones

grahamb

There have been various discussions on here about Skype and other VOIP services. From what I've read, it looks like most people are just using a standard PC headset + mic for making calls.

Is anyone using a USB phone so that they get a 'normal' handset? Does anyone have recommendations of a good one that is available in Thailand and works with Skype? Skype have one for sale from their site but I'm reluctant to spend US$60 on it unless I can find out more about it (still searching).

In the ideal world, I would find a unit that:

1. Works properly with Skype

2. Allows the keypad to be used to make calls

3. Is cordless

I know that getting all 3 of these is going to be difficult so item 1 is the main priority.

I don't mind spending money for a good unit (the reduced phone bills will pay that back) but I'm looking for recommendations rather than just wandering around Pantip...

Any help is much appreciated! :o

HI Graham

I've actually got a USB phone adapter (called Actiontec Internet PhoneWizard).

Link to see it:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/tech/voi...erview_usb.html

All you do is connect it via USB to your computer and plug in a phone to the phone port on the back. If you connect a cordless phone, then there you go. Then, just tell your VoIP phone program to use the Actiontec Internet Phone Wizard as the soundcard for making phone calls and you're all set. Very easy to use. You can use it for MSN Messenger voice calls (free) too from computer to computer. It allows you to set up the call and then walk away from the computer (if you have a wireless phone attached, of course). If you're interested, PM me and we can do a sale.

-Matt