Weather Warning

56K winds on Monday!?!? Is that like tornadoes?

Well not really..."Most tornadoes have wind speeds between 40 mph (64 km/h) and 110 mph (177 km/h), are approximately 250 feet (75 m) across, and travel a few miles (several kilometers) before dissipating. Some attain wind speeds of more than 300 mph (480 km/h), stretch more than a mile (1.6 km) across, and stay on the ground for dozens of miles (more than 100 km)"

Source:

Over here they are Cyclones, preferable Thai-Fun! :o The peaks of some Gust's will reach this speed...

As long as one doesn't have to live in a makeshift shelter on the Beach, there is not much going to happen!

56K winds on Monday!?!? Is that like tornadoes?

Well not really..."Most tornadoes have wind speeds between 40 mph (64 km/h) and 110 mph (177 km/h), are approximately 250 feet (75 m) across, and travel a few miles (several kilometers) before dissipating. Some attain wind speeds of more than 300 mph (480 km/h), stretch more than a mile (1.6 km) across, and stay on the ground for dozens of miles (more than 100 km)"

Source:

Over here they are Cyclones, preferable Thai-Fun! :o The peaks of some Gust's will reach this speed...

As long as one doesn't have to live in a makeshift shelter on the Beach, there is not much going to happen!

It was pretty windy outside last night which resulted in a power cut until 9.30am this morning in Bangrak.....

It was pretty windy outside last night which resulted in a power cut until 9.30am this morning in Bangrak.....

hmmm.... we had a black out yesterday noon sometime... in Chaweng, windy yes, but nor disturbingly stormy, rain agian this morning, but now clearing a bit!

rather normal for this time of the season!

How long does this rainy seasonlast for, when I left BK on the 16/04 it was pouring down with a huge theunderstorm and I thought the rain was welcome given how humid it was there. I hope the winds don't cause yo guys too much damage.

Shakeydave

How long does this rainy seasonlast for, when I left BK on the 16/04 it was pouring down with a huge theunderstorm and I thought the rain was welcome given how humid it was there. I hope the winds don't cause yo guys too much damage.

Shakeydave

The Samui rainy season is in November / December.

They are now in Ton predicting much higher wind gusts on the 28th .

Winds: S at 38km/h

Wind Gusts: 104 km/h

Great! Thanks for the info Roo!

Power only just back on again in Tong Son. Out for 10 hours and standby by Generator starter rope snapped.

Power only just back on again in Tong Son. Out for 10 hours and standby by Generator starter rope snapped.

I'll send you my wife, she will kick start it for you. OOOPS sorry only joking. :o

Had many outages here in Bophut today, but only lasted a few seconds at a time.I'm just worried about the wind,had a few strong gusts today a bit of damage to awnings.

It seems a bit early, the rainy season starts May/June through to August. Then the monsoon season kicks in,in October through December. I fail to see how Samui can ever be short of water, it's just bad water management. Why on earth the authorities allow the dreadful waste of water during songkran, I'll never know. During that one day, half of Samui's water is gone.

Edited by mistresserika

It seems a bit early, the rainy season starts May/June through to August. Then the monsoon season kicks in,in October through December.

Well, this isn't unusual, for the time of the year! It's the Southwesterly setting in, which brings rain to the Northeast and this is part of it.

Yes Oct.-Dec. we get the Northeasterly.. which brings Rain to the South(west)... the Tradewinds bring humit air from the Oceans...

Well after all it's dust free again, and I had to switch off the fan last night! :o and yes, we won't run out of water soon!

what is the weather like in Samui today?

Weather Forecast From 06:00 - 06:00

Fairly widespread thunderstorms and isolated heavy rain with gust mostly in Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani and Narathiwat. Minimum temperature 23 °C. Maximum temperature 32 °C. Easterly winds 15-35 km/hr. Wave height 1-2 meters and above 2 meters in the thunderstorm areas.

Issued Date Apr 25, 2008

link:

Just stopped raining in Chaweng... clearing up from southeast..

Wunderground weather:

Interactive weathermap

check this out http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=121272

if this is correct, better start building an ark! about 25cm of rain next wed/thur

it was only a week ago i was complaining about too hot and dry! better learn to stop complaining about the weather on TV!

You wanna see Thursday, 61 mm in 3 hours :o , now that will cause some serious flooding!

Good luck samui!, i think i will stay in Phuket for that week.........

I'll send you my wife, she will kick start it for you. OOOPS sorry only joking. :o

Had many outages here in Bophut today, but only lasted a few seconds at a time.I'm just worried about the wind,had a few strong gusts today a bit of damage to awnings.

Roo, thanks for your kind offer but not only has the rope snapped but the return spring is also U/S. Is your Missus any good at fixing those?

Seriously, and slightly off topic does anyone know where I can get my Tiger generator fixed please? With this weather and the lousy forecast I feel that I may be needing it again shortly! My local Mr.Fixit suggested Home Plus but I think that it would take too long and would probably cost the same as a new one.

Grateful all suggestions.

check this out http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=121272

if this is correct, better start building an ark! about 25cm of rain next wed/thur

it was only a week ago i was complaining about too hot and dry! better learn to stop complaining about the weather on TV!

You wanna see Thursday, 61 mm in 3 hours :o , now that will cause some serious flooding!

Good luck samui!, i think i will stay in Phuket for that week.........

I think the Thursday Wind Guru forecast is for Koh Phangan, better stock up on essentials. Samui is a mere 25-28 cm!

Roo, thanks for your kind offer but not only has the rope snapped but the return spring is also U/S. Is your Missus any good at fixing those?

Seriously, and slightly off topic does anyone know where I can get my Tiger generator fixed please? With this weather and the lousy forecast I feel that I may be needing it again shortly! My local Mr.Fixit suggested Home Plus but I think that it would take too long and would probably cost the same as a new one.

I'd try one of the bigger motor bike repair shops, if it's just the starter cord and return spring it shouldn't be to difficult

Chai at the end of chaweng beach might have a go at it for you.

Was going to koh Tao next week ,don't fancy the Lompraya in big waves , think I'll stay at home

It seems a bit early, the rainy season starts May/June through to August. Then the monsoon season kicks in,in October through December. I fail to see how Samui can ever be short of water, it's just bad water management. Why on earth the authorities allow the dreadful waste of water during songkran, I'll never know. During that one day, half of Samui's water is gone.

What a nonsense! Songkran is 1 day a year.

70 % of the water demand is from hotels. The whole water problem is only because the water is too cheap, BTW same for electricity.

I'd try one of the bigger motor bike repair shops, if it's just the starter cord and return spring it shouldn't be to difficult

Was going to koh Tao next week ,don't fancy the Lompraya in big waves , think I'll stay at home

Thanks for the info re the generator.

I see that Wind Guru have revised their forecasts downwards next week, considerably so for K.Phangan.

Ark building may no longer be required. Also the precipitation numbers previously quoted should have been mm instead of cm.

Thanks for the info re the generator.

I see that Wind Guru have revised their forecasts downwards next week, considerably so for K.Phangan.

Ark building may no longer be required. Also the precipitation numbers previously quoted should have been mm instead of cm.

I checked the forecasts a few days ago, sunny all the way into next month & then bam rain.You never know it could blow over quicker then expected.

What a nonsense! Songkran is 1 day a year.

70 % of the water demand is from hotels. The whole water problem is only because the water is too cheap, BTW same for electricity.

What a load of rubbish you write claudefeller, mistressbouncyones is correct. The traditional/cultural songkran has been taken over by the hooligans. Maybe in your 1930's Nathon you didn't see much water wastage. From Hua Thanon right through to at least Bohput the water wastage was incredible. I saw at least 2 vehicles in accidents caused by aquaplaning.