Papays Died This Winter, Drought This Summer

bina

just some updates;

our papayas didnt make it thru the jerusalem winter; they all died since we had several frosts and one snow/sleet storm...

we are now in a drought: the kibbutz has cut back our walnut trees orchards with heavy pruning and are watering to keep the trees viable w/o producing fruit this year; vineyards and orchards (apples) are being maintained but we as a community have been asked to refrain from doing large flower gardens that need much water; private vegetable gardens must be being watered with drip irrigation only, not spray irrigation, and only once a week; etc etc...

we are not to wash cars, or hose down sidewalks etc., and our public lawns are being watered to keep viable root system only (no green green swaths this summer)... those of us with private washing machines are re hosing to use the 'gray' water for gardens and so our small shop is now selling 'green' house cleaning products (expensive but if used properly (measuring the amounts etc instead of just dumping soap in the bucket or machine) that can be washed back in to the soil; etc. this is because water for agricultural allottments has been cut back by a huge amount, as also the price of a cubic liter of water has almost doubled.

i think that also our field crops have been changed to more 'second/gray' water crops unlike veggies that require 'clean' water since they are for human consumption (we do winter wheat which needs no irrigation, cotton (a heavily irrigated crop) some kind of feed hay i dont know what it is in english (buckwheat?); and veggies. we also have almond orchards (no irrigation needed) olive (same same) .... and where ever nectarines and plums used to be, olives have been put in instead since the cold cold winters here have changed (global warming?) and cold is needed for a good tree production of these fruits as well as insect control and water.

all this i have explained to my thai husband; but i would like info in thai about this stuff... as he pointed out, it rained this winter why isnt there any water; i need explanations about water tables, deserts, etc..... any pointers (even the word 'ecology' was hard for him to deal with-- he has minimal education but is open to learning...) fortunately, he still showers issaan style, fast, cold and minimal amounts of running water... and complains when the kids take their long hot water showers.

as it is, we are a 'green' kibbutz: we recycle newspapers, white paper, plastic and glass, as well as carton, batteries (teach thais not to throw the batteries in teh garbage) and metal... and we use 'green' methods against flies (hormone bags, home made yeast based fly traps, etc), and mosquito control (no sitting water, gambuza fish to eat mosquito larvae)... and now we have to pay to use plastic bags in the store, so we all have gone over to fabric shopping bags etc.

as for biodiversity agriculture as the little film on utube showed (the one someone here gave a link for), his comment was , we see internet, his parents dont (they grow cassava and when i mentioned that they used to do diverse farming, he said, they are bannork .... and now they grow cassava and thats that.)

on the other hand, electric items etc he never throws out, but takes apart to reuse bits and pieces, and thinks we are a throw away culture....

he also wanted to put in a gold fish pond (ornamental) but we cant this year, so our fish are staying indoors one more season...

he has learned that drip irrigation works well; he used to stand outside and spray water, thinking that this gave more water. he is puzzled as to why we dont use the roof/ong rain collection system that issaan houses use; a very good question actually and people here have brought up the idea of roof water runoff containment too, recently.

he is well aware that here we are in a desert/arid climate; but when i try to mention that these methods can work in korat, i am told that there is plenty water in thailand... which we know is not true (water management doesnt seem to be a strong point in thailand).

just thought it would be interesting to people to see /read different perspectives on things ....

bina and anon

israel

this is why i am so frustrated with the agriculture situation in my country (PH). we take for granted our whole year of good weather (even typhoons should be welcomed for good water supply), sun and rain... we dont have seasons like winter etc so you can plant all year round.

cities are overcrowded but go into the countrysides and productive lands are left to become wasteland, etc. meanwhile forests and mangroves are being destroyed, and waters are overfished, etc. because they cant see the resources already staring at their faces.

oh well, its beach weekend... :o my vacationing nieces and i are taking the dogs off to swimming, bina... get some ticks off too. :D

Edited by aries27